Tabletroms.com Exclusive interview with Rohan Shravan (CEO) of Notion Ink
By admin On 4 Jul, 2011 At 12:10 PM | Categorized As News | With 15 Comments

Question: For the longest time the Notion Ink community has wondered why large vendors like: Acer, Asus, Motorola, and Samsung can obtain Honeycomb but little companies don’t seem to stand a chance. Why cant Notion Ink obtain the source for Honeycomb like other vendors?

Answer: 2 reasons, HC was first shared with companies who had huge marketing budgets, which can start the momentum to pull customers away from Apple. Notion Ink did not fall into that category earlier.   Second, if you get HC, you are locked for a period of time to do NO change whatsoever to it, this is essentially because HC is not open yet. Our friends at Google rather suggested to go directly for Ice Cream Sandwich which is going to be open, backward compatible and no such restrictions. Once they helped us understand their current policy, it became our conscious decision to wait for Ice Cream Sandwich.

Question: The tabletroms.com team has done a great job with porting Honeycomb to the Notion Ink Adam, but we are lacking a .36 kernel which is critical for a stable port. In previous emails it sounded like your team was actively working on the kernel. Can you give us an approximate time date of release?

Answer: I will check again with Rohit on this (on the date), but progress has been very good. Few members of your community has access to it as well.

Question: The tabletroms.com community loves the openness of the Adam tablet, but most of the team agree that the Adam wasn’t ready for public consumption. The tabletroms.com core development team, has expressed interest in helping to design and test your next generation tablet. Would you be willing to accept input from the tabletroms.com crew?

Answer: Without any word! :)
One of the first step was to create a section on Conclave where your A team can be there. It becomes much comfortable in sharing files, information over conclave for us. We’d start from sharing the components, so your team can suggest alternative in case there is one, and we’d love to get help from various engineers like RF etc who can further help us improve the hardware as well. By the way we have a team working only on antennas and Adam 2 should have brilliant reception.

Question: There has been speculation among news sites that the Adam has been struggling and questions the companies determination to succeed and produce quality products. Do you have anything to say to those news sites? Has the last pre-order proven enough to keep those rumors away? How is the development of the next product looking?

Answer: People need something to talk about. :) Our sales has been good, PQ is again out of stock. Eden 2 and Adam 2, in fact 3 as well are already underway and full scale expansion on 5 different countries is in progress. I have much more faith on Adam 2 since it is coming closer to what I envisioned. I have been spending a lot of time in company re-structuring, and teams have got good exposure and combination. A Game Design Team is already doing excellent job!

Question: Many people are still experiencing issues with the Cameras auto focus. Do you know if this is a hardware or software issue?

Answer: It has to do with Software. On it.

Question: Do you have a way for people to buy replacement parts for their Adam?

Answer: People are already doing that. Just get in touch with support team, and they will guide you.

About - ZeroFeel - Is a Network Administrator and Android enthusiast from the Sarasota / Bradenton area of Florida. He works full time as a Network Administrator and runs this website during his free time as a hobby.

Displaying 15 Comments
Have Your Say

1. Harvey186 says:

Sorry for mistyping.It should be:

Same blah, blas as ever !

2. Fury says:

Tell that to Samsung and their upcoming release of TouchWiz for HC. It’s not that I like any modifications from vendors (actually, as a user of Nexus One I prefer pure android, and I really hope that there will be a way to use Galaxy Tab 10.1 without TouchWiz), but such excuses from Rohan sound really silly.

Btw, and why there are no questions about horrible lifetime of the Adam? Just about 35 hours in sleep in airplane mode (with no any additional soft installed), even when you do nothing with it – this is just unacceptable.

3. Fury says:

PS:
    It’s very strange, but I don’t see my comment, so I’ll repost it.

4. David says:

One question that is also on the minds of quite a few current Adam owners is, would they be able to get a discount on Adam 2 being that they have been loyal in staying with Adam 1. Especially since there have been articles mentioning that the new Adam 2 will have a much better display. With so many Adam owners leaving for other devices, I think it would be a good idea for NI to explore my suggestion.

5. cricfan says:

Andy or anyone who has access to Rohan, next time please ask this question: can we upgrade the screen to a better screen. I know Rohan mentioned that the device will never be obsolete, however it will be awesome if we can upgrade the screen on existing devices albeight for an extra charge

• philly0128 says:

I agree, upgrading the screen to something better would be great. when i’m trying to relax I like to tilt the Adam but as we all know the view sucks and has to be held upright 24/7

6. It sounds all fine and good but when you reach out to their support for a broken screen they tell you sorry but they don’t have the parts. Soooo it would be nice to be able to get a simple glass cover replacement so I can actually enjoy my adam and stop searching for a whole new tablet since I can’t get mine fixed.

• admin says:

Paste the comments from NI support in this reply. I would like to read what they wrote you and see about getting you some help on the matter.

7. hank says:

I would love a new screen!! that’s the one thing keeping the Adam from greatness and why I can’t recommend it over any of the new tablets. I want to cry when I put my Adam up against another device’s screen.

8. TechEmonk says:

Thanks Zerofeel for the interview. I like the positive tone of the interview. I am happy with the reason for not going into honeycomb, its probably a decision they took to maintain Eden & its components. I only wish that NI gives a good discount for Adam 1 Owners to buy Adam 2, some compensation for some faulty hardware.

9. Samuel says:

Raohan blabbers as usual, Hallucinates, ADAM will not connect to a wifi router kept next to it, and He will bla bla bla go on, You cant connect the HC to a laptop and so you have to remove the SD card and copy programs. No where the great big chief will reply, Adam is a Half baked pastry, (sorry but true), only by tabletroms ADAM was saved from being a glorious paper weight

10. Phil Curtis says:

There’s alot of whinng here. We (who bought) all have a first generation device from a first generation company, and from India. If you thought this Adam launch was going to be smooth you lack a certain reality perspective. I have two Adams, 1 LCD, 1 PxlQi. The LCD sat for 2-3 weeks unused early on because the bugs made it unuseable. Then I loaded EdenX with great success and then the latest update and useability has improved drastically. The PxlQi sit dead from a failed Honeycomb ROM I have yet to repair.
    Am I complaining? Not much. Have I been annoyed? Definetely! Would I buy an iPad? Not a chance. I’ll take my OS freedom and be happy I’m annoyed then sedated like a computer sheep.
    I still don’t have the seemless work tool I desire. My Nexus One is a much better tool with basic Android. Why would you do more work to make a worse software product then what you get from Google. Point is NI gave us the tool/hardware to fix it yourself with some patience. If you’re not happy with that you should be eating Apples.

• m0388 says:

Hi Phil…I support your point….Its very easy to work with Adam …because of the hardware freedom…the hardware is worth for the money paid….proud to say that my first generation adam can compete with a product like apple iPad….I struggled for three days when changing roms an rooting…once i learned how to do the installation stuff…everything is fine……..ipad is for dummies , while adam is for those who like to explore………..

From India,
      ADAM LCD + 3g with Honeycomb Boot
      AdamComb 3.0

11. Excellent pieces. Keep wditing such kind of information on your blog.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg iit and personally suggest to
    my friends. I amm sure they will be benefited from this web site.