Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Windows 8 and Tablets?

Thanks
    Some quick videos of win 8 on a tablet can be found here -

WinRumors | Microsoft news and rumors

It looks to me that the giant may have awoken.
    NI Adam PQ wifi -CM10 Beta2
    Nook Color - CM10 Beta 4
    SG Nexus - Baked Bean 6

.....just lurking

Thanks
    i think with Win 8 tablets, we will eventually (3-5 yrs from now) see the same market shares that we see with PC OS (Win vs Mac). In other words, I think Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to eventually overtake Apple iOS. I expect this given the phenomenal user base that Windows already has currently - 450 million and counting - and the compatibility guarantee (Win 7 to 8 - everything will work). If Win 8 works seamlessly across multiple form factors (and i recollect seeing the part of the demo during the keynote today where they instantly synced the tablet with the changes made on a PC), it will be big. Eventually Google will end up #3, Microsoft will climb to #2 and eventually to #1...

Thanks
    The funny thing is that microsoft is now making windows 8 work with arm chips like Nvidia's, and Google and Intel are now partners to make android work on Intel atom chips. Pigs flying next?
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Teclast X80h dual boot
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Thanks
    With their big emphasis currently on cloud services it could be interesting to see what they end up doing with the tablet form. Could be that they in the long run succeed doing what Amazon is angling at doing at the moment.

MS has big pockets and they do run the marathon, they might fall a bit short at first but if pcs market is starting to dissipate for them they are sure to throw resources on the mobile form. All it takes is money and time as its the most widely available solution that will win in the end most likely and Apples product placement is about being exclusive.

Thanks
    I have a Windows 8 tablet, and I love it... I also have an Adam (Android)... I got the Android tablet for work, but ended up using it mostly for eReading and Games, as well as browsing the web... I do a lot of Windows apps (I am a .Net Application Architect), so I gave the Windows 8 tablet a whirl... The touch and Metro UI are nice, although there are not many apps for it. They have improved the logic behind finger-touch, as well as adding gestures for mouse functions so you can use normal windows. The speed is amazing! I have a Samsung Slate 7, and it boots from cold (not hybrid sleep) to ready-to-use in about 3-4 seconds. You do need to use the stylus or a mouse (I use the MS Arc Touch Mouse, very nice!) to get all you can out of it, but for me that includes web development in Visual Studio 11 (yes, on my tablet).

Get the Metro UI main-steamed with an App Store, and I can see this being a business tool for both management (easy to deploy, mass-configure, deploy policies) and power users.

I think the whole Windows Tablet section here will become just Windows 8 when it releases, as it is soooo much more usable than previous Windows tablet versions.
    Last edited by josef; 01-23-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Microsoft start the develop Windows 8 computer and touch based tablets. The Operating System Windows 8 can be run on ARM or x86 processor. Windows 8 tablets will run and update the Metro User Interface version which are found on the windows phone.

Thanks
    Although, still an Android user, I've decided to get a Windows 8 tablet. I preferred the Microsoft Surface and the coming Sony Windows 8 hybrid tablet. I googled some news and other users' review of the Windows 8 tablet. Good experience, anyhow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads