Thread: Custom Reload of TW700/800/801- Win 8.1 or Win10?

Thanks

Custom Reload of TW700/800/801- Win 8.1 or Win10?

So guys, I got a TW700 (since I love my TW801) figuring I could hack it a little bit (possibly figure out how difficult a custom reload is, i.e. put something like Win 8.1 Pro or Win10Beta on it. Here is what I have learned so far about this (as far as windows).. Keep in mind i used a USB hub, USB keyboard/mouse, and USB flash drive loaded with EFI formatted Windows installer (using a pc utility called Rufus)

1. This is an unusual device as it has a 32bit UEFI “ONLY” bios.. UEFI isn’t exactly new (this goes back to a lot of products shortly after Windows 7 came out) and is a replacement to the old fashioned “PC-BIOS”.. uEFI includes the “SafeBoot” technology, which seems turned off by default. Now most of these products have a “compatibility mode” that allows them to emulate old-school BIOS (especially motherboards from major manufactures), but this compatibility mode is slowing going away with newer devices. Up until now, uEFI has been 64 bit only and since the OS has to understand UEFI (to boot) and be the same bit type (32 vs 64) as the bios, this means that past UEFI products basically have been 64 bit Windows 7 or 64 bit Windows 8/8.1. Once again, this is an unusual beast as now apparently the industry has accepted 32 bit uEFI bioses. Given this has a 64 bit quad core ATOM CPU, but a 32 bit UEFI bios, it will only ever run a 32 bit OS (for now Windows 8/8.1 is the only OS even closely able to boot 32 bit UEFI, no Android, Linux, Windows 7, etc).. I was able to get the tech preview of Windows 10 (32 bit) and got it to load (after wiping the drive.. See #2), but ran into the driver issue (see #3) given its a beta product.
    2. This device has 16 GB storage.. Apparently Micro$oft has implemented a new boot image “Trick” with Windows (I’m assuming we’ll start seeing this more) where it uses a restore image that actually facilitates the majority of the Install of Windows. This is called WIMBoot (Windows Image File Boot (WIMBoot) Overview) Supposedly the restore image (that can be used to reset the state of the device back to factory) is actually used to boot the main OS install. Apparently they figured out they can use a compressed image to save space on the windows install (leaving more space for user files and secondary programs) especially on devices that have little “Flash” space (such as tablets, etc). If the user runs out of space, it may seem obvious that the “Restore image” could be deleted to free up ~5 GB of space.. Well guess what, deleting it causes the device to be un-bootable and can’t be restored (since its still the restore image) I expect that you’re going to see this more and more with cheapie products such as netbooks, tablets, and possibly low-end laptops in the near future.. Be careful..
    3. Upon trying to reload the OS, I found that the base OS is missing almost ALL drivers specific to the device being a tablet (touch screen, video drivers, sound, networking, SMI Bus, Power Management, etc). Given this is a WinBook product, delivered through Microcenter, there is 0 info on any of their tech sites about where to download drivers for this. I even found the proper Intel HD video drivers on Intel’s site and they wouldn’t even load (through the installer program) given there were a bunch of other drivers not installed until I was able to hack some other drivers in first.. Luckily I have the 8 inch version of this tablet as well (which I’m thinking some of the hardware is different), and was able to use a tool (driver_backup) to get most the drivers off of the 8 inch and try to use them to reinstall onto the Windows 8 32bit (with Bing edition reload) I installed (sans the WIMBoot).. I have most of the drivers installed, but certainly some of the drivers I pulled off of the 8 Inch are different than the 7inch, leaving missing functionality.. Such as no touch-screen, no power management – can’t even see the battery % - says unavailable – and no sound (Even though the driver is installed).

Anyone else have any other experiences with hacking this line of products?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foxkm For This Useful Post:

Azwan (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for your post. I have not had time to do anything,Hopefully soon.
    Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heresyourdrivers For This Useful Post:

will765 (12-13-2014)

First Post
    Thanks
    Found this post most useful. Today I decided I would attempt to load Windows 10 Technical Preview on this tablet I received as a gift, but all of my attempts have been futile. Mainly, my issue is getting it to boot to any type of media - USB, PXE, etc. I can't find any documentation on how to actually boot to a device. I tried a USB keyboard and pressing all the generic key combinations while it's powering on - Esc, Del, F12, etc. though, my issue could be the keyboard I am using is a mechanical keyboard and I know they function different on devices sometimes - especially before Windows actually loads.

Can you supply your methodology in getting your device to boot to another device, say, a USB device? I've already created a WIMBoot task sequence in MDT and loaded the OS, drivers, WinPE5.1 boot image, etc to a media device, I just can't get it to boot. If I can even brick this thing - I'd consider it progress at this point, but I can't even seem to break it (kudos WinBook)! Ideally, I'd like to somehow automate the imaging of these as I have a couple guys who got one too and we'd all like to pilot Win10 on it while Microsoft is making it toward the finish line for the OS builds.

Thanks for any help in advance!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to michael.courville For This Useful Post:

WeAreNotAlone (02-10-2015)

First Post
    Thanks
    DISCLAIMER: I don't claim to be the most efficient at this, this is just my experience that got it to work. You may be able to pull all the drivers using just one (either Double Driver or 3DPChip) but I used a mix of both and it worked.

Windows 10 on TW700

Stuff you need:
    32 bit (x86) Windows 10 Technical Preview (Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows)
    RUFUS (https://rufus.akeo.ie/)
    USB keyboard and mouse (I'm using a Logitech K400r)
    USB HUB (Powered recomended)
    USB Thumbdrive (at least 4GB)
    Double Driver (Download Double Driver - MajorGeeks)
    3DPChip (3DP Chip download)

I fired up 3DPChip, saw that 4 of the devices had updates, and proceeded to download each update and put them in a folder called DRIVERS
    Then I made a backup of all non-microsoft drivers. 3DPChip places them all in a folder (renamed to 3DPChipBackup) and moved it to the same DRIVERS folder as before.

Ran Double Driver and made another backup of all non-microsoft drivers, and placed the output folder (renamed to DoubleDriverBackup) in the DRIVERS folder.

The last driver you need is the WiFi/Bluetooth Driver. I found this linked in a post by Shyyko Serhiy found here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...eview2014Setup. Download that then put that driver in the same DRIVERS folder.

Fire up Rufus and set the "Partition Scheme and Target System Type" is set to "MBR partition scheme for UEFI Computer"
    Confirm that "Create a Bootable Disk Using" is checked, "ISO image" is selected, and that you click the button to the right to select the Windows 10 ISO.
    Then Click start and sit back while it does it's thing.

Once that's done, and you have extra space, copy the DRIVERS folder to your newly made USB Windows Installer. If you don't have room, you will need another USB stick.

If it isn't already, plug your USB hub into your TW700, and then the USB Mouse/Keyboard, then the USB stick you just created in RUFUS.
    On the TW700, slide out the charms bar, click the search icon and type "Recovery" then tap "Recovery Options" when it presents itself.
    Under "Advanced Startup" click "Restart Now"
    Once it's restarted, tap "Use a Device" and choose "USB HDD:

If everything has gone according to plan, you will now be booting into the Windows 10 Installer.
    I just did the basic clean install, deleting all the hard drive partitions and then installing windows to the single unused partition.

after logging into windows, I ran Double Driver (you may need to run as administrator), selected "Restore" and pointed to the DoubleDriverBackup folder in the DRIVERS folder. I let it restore.

I then (before checking the device manager to see if these had been taken care of) installed the 4 drivers that I downloaded via 3DPChip. One or two of these drivers failed or did not update the device it was written for. I forgot which ones. Note, I did NOT use 3DPChip to restore the drivers. Just Double Driver.

I then opened up the Device Manager. I found the Wifi device installed but not functioning and 3 other unknown devices.

I fixed the wifi by installing the driver downloaded from Shyyko's post and that fixed wifi. One of the unknown devices had an id of VEN_GDIX&DEV_1001. That is the GOODIX HID (touchscreen) device. Update that driver using the files found in the 3DPChipBackup\HIDCLASS\Goodix Touch HID folder.

Another unknown device will have the id of VEN_INT&dev_33fe. That is the INTEL BATTERY MANAGEMENT. Update that using the files in the 3DPChipBackup\SYSTEM\Intel(R) Battery Management Device folder.

The last unknown I couldn't get to install directly. I tried all the drivers in 3DPChipBackup\SENSOR and 3DPChipBackup\SYSTEM folder to no avail. So I right-click uninstalled the device, the right-click the computer name at the top of the devices (We're still in the device manager) and select "Scan for hard ware changes". it found the device again and install the driver-it looked like a driver for the camera.

And it looks like everything is working so far. Good Luck!

*edit* I needed to install the Realtek Audio driver lastly. I believe it was one of those drivers i downloaded with 3DPChip. It may have failed before.. I don't know. Maybe I should have been documenting this as I went, not in hindsight.

*edit #2* Not very stable and I haven't gotten audio to work yet. YMMV.
    Last edited by rewind22x; 12-21-2014 at 12:20 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rewind22x For This Useful Post:

jerryaycock (12-21-2014), WeAreNotAlone (02-10-2015), will765 (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Was wondering if you can use this method to install windows 8.1 to an sd card and boot from it instead of the limited 16 gb internal memory?

Thanks
    also does windows 10 allow you to move the modern/store apps to the sd card memory?

First Post
    Thanks
    Don't mean to necro, but if you haven't found all the drivers here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6gbulx8wj71u ... s.rar?dl=0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoniche View Post
    Don't mean to necro, but if you haven't found all the drivers here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6gbulx8wj71u ... s.rar?dl=0
    I don't consider it a necro, if fact whenever info adds to a thread no matter how old it is I am appreciative of the info.

BTW: Did you extract the above drivers off a TW700 running Win8.1, or are these drivers you've found that work on Win10 technical preview?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eweiss1979 View Post
    also does windows 10 allow you to move the modern/store apps to the sd card memory?
    Nope, I guess they are worried about the (3) paid apps on the MS store that maybe the 60 people in MS headquarters might actually pay for being useable on another device. Got to lock everything down you know.
    (Little stab at lack of apps..)

Seriously though the Metro apps (since they are so dumbed down) don't take up much room.

The thing that consumes on the TW700 as shipped with the OS being on the recovery partition using a process called WIMBoot is that no files get changed on the WIMBoot partition (duh) when a update occurs, the updates ALL post to the system drive so disc space goes "Proof" unless you disable updates, or have the time to cull thru what updates to install.

If I was running MS I set the min specs at 2gb ram, 32gb

Remove Ads