Thread: winbook tw800

Thanks

winbook tw800

I apologize for posting this in the tw100 sub-forum, the tw800 doesn't have sub-forum (ATOP)

I made a rookie mistake with my tw800. I was eager to free up space on the internal storage. I created a USB recovery disk and removed the recovery partition without testing it. Now when I try to boot off the internal storage, I get a 0x00000225 error. When I try to boot off the recovery USB drive, I receive a 0x00000007 error (not enough memory to create the RAM disk) I haven't been able to get linux to boot on the tw800 yet.

Microsoft issued a hotfix that addresses the 0x00000007 error. I tried pushing the updates to the recovery disk using DISM. I still get the error.

Has anyone else been able to get linux to boot on the tw800 yet? If I eventually get it to boot, should recreating the recovery partition and copying the contents of the USB drive to the partition be enough to get Win8 to boot again?

Thanks
    No need to aplogize.
    There is room for ALL size Winbooks here.
    Wish I could help, I am up to my neck in a PHBBS problem and Way behind on a couple of web designs..

Welcome

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryaycock View Post
    No need to aplogize.
    There is room for ALL size Winbooks here.
    Wish I could help, I am up to my neck in a PHBBS problem and Way behind on a couple of web designs..

Welcome

Jerry
    That's alright. Thank you for the response.

Thanks
    I'm new to the forum here as I myself have stumbled on this amazing deal on Microcenter Winbook Tablets. I picked up a TW801 myself. Now some things I have learned trying to figure out if there is a way to dual boot OSes on this guy..

First one is that this device uses a UEFI 32-bit BIOS. Apparently several new Bay-Trail tablets are using this (instead of 64 bit) which actually isn't a thing that is technically supposed to exist via the UEFI standard.

In the PC world (Intel Mac started with 32 bit UEFI, but eventually moved their products to 64 bit UEFI), UEFI has been a drive to replace the standard PC-BIOS technology as the underlaying ROM that starts up the machine. Apparently industry standards (for PCs) has resulted that only 64 bit UEFI is implemented...

Reading up on this, 64 bit UEFI means the OS has to be 64 bit.. I was thrown off when I found out this TW801 is running 32 bit Windows 8.1 (which there really isn't a huge need for 64 bit given 2 GB memory)..

Because of this deviation from the standard UEFI, I think its going to be hard to get alternative OSes installed (without some major hacking) given any OS that supports UEFI boot (Windows 8 64bit, Server 2008/2012 64 bit) generally come in the 64 bit Variant..

So I have figured out that I can use the Windows 8.1 (with Bing) 32 bit ISO file (its out there on the internet) to create a bootable UEFI GTP (using rufus 1.4 tool) that will actually boot from USB on my Winbook (to the Windows installer). Of course the touch screen doesn't work so you'll need a USB hub and a Keyboard/Mouse to go through an install. I Images the 64 bit variant of Win8.1 (with bing) to the same USB drive using Rufus and the Winbook will not even attempt to boot (goes directly to the installed windows internally. I'm assuming because its looking for /efi/boot/bootia32.efi when on the 64 bit there is only /efi/boot/bootx64.efi.

So I got curious to find out if I could trick the 64 bit installer to boot up by coping the bootia32.efi into the efi/boot folder on my 64 bit Win8.1 USB installer.. Amazingly it did start to boot from the usb stick (vs ignoring it and internally booting), but I was immediately greeted with a STOP message saying that I can't run 64 bit windows on a 32 bit processor!!!! I guess this is indeed a limitation of 32 vs 64 bit EFI.. 32 bit EFI will only EVER properly run 32 bit OSes.. (http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/26734.html) even with a 64 bit CPU!!!

Next Step is to purchase the $60 7" from micro center and see if I can perform a clean install of 32bit Windows 8.1 on it just to verify it can be done..
    Last edited by foxkm; 12-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.

First Post
    Thanks
    Hey Guys,

Disclaimer: Pardon my terminology if I express something incorrectly since everything I know about (U)EFI I learned this past week.

I was able to get Ubuntu 14.10 (x86) to dual boot with Windows 8.1 on my TW801. I had originally had it running the 64-bit version but the 32-bit version seems to work a bit smoother.

It took a bit of hacking a manual steps on the GRUB2 command line. If anyone is interested I would be glad to post steps and instrucitons here as to how I managed it. I can also post a video of the dual boot as a proof of concept. The grub2 bootloader works perfectly except for the fact that you need a keyboard to confirm your selection on the menu. The volume keys actually work effectually to select the entry, but without a keyboard there is no way to select the item. Does anyone know if there is a way to bind the power key to select an entry in grub?

It should also be noted that certain hardware doesn't work. I haven't figured out how to get the touchscreen, internal wireless antenna, audio or camera to work yet, among other things.

I'd love to work together with anyone who might be able to help me troubleshoot there hardware issues.

Thanks!

First Post
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince86EKNJ View Post
    Hey Guys,

Disclaimer: Pardon my terminology if I express something incorrectly since everything I know about (U)EFI I learned this past week.

I was able to get Ubuntu 14.10 (x86) to dual boot with Windows 8.1 on my TW801. I had originally had it running the 64-bit version but the 32-bit version seems to work a bit smoother.

It took a bit of hacking a manual steps on the GRUB2 command line. If anyone is interested I would be glad to post steps and instrucitons here as to how I managed it. I can also post a video of the dual boot as a proof of concept. The grub2 bootloader works perfectly except for the fact that you need a keyboard to confirm your selection on the menu. The volume keys actually work effectually to select the entry, but without a keyboard there is no way to select the item. Does anyone know if there is a way to bind the power key to select an entry in grub?

It should also be noted that certain hardware doesn't work. I haven't figured out how to get the touchscreen, internal wireless antenna, audio or camera to work yet, among other things.

I'd love to work together with anyone who might be able to help me troubleshoot there hardware issues.

Thanks!
    I was stuggling to get this working and gave up about a month ago. It would be really helpful to know how you did this. The farthest I got was getting grub to show up but I never managed to get the kernel to boot.

Remove Ads