Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rabid1

Thread: Livesuit Errors and Flashing Problem on A10 Tablets

Veteran
    Thanks

Exclamation Livesuit Errors and Flashing Problem on A10 Tablets

The reason I did not title this specifically about Visual Land Tablets is because it is not an issue unique to them. People using different brands designed on the Allwinner A10 and A13 platform have reported this issue including Onda, Teclast, and Matrix to name a few. I will be discussing VL specifically from here on out but that is what this forum is for

For the time being, unless you are absolutely certain you do not have a tablet with this issue, if you have a Visual Land Prestige or Connect tablet I would not attempt to flash ANY Livesuit image without the express instructions from Visual Land Support to do so. REMEMBER flashing any firmware without instructions to do so can and in this case should void your warranty.

So after tons of hours and uncountable flashes I have reached a conclusion on the 162 errors and 163 Livesuit errors. These are based on my opinion of what I have experienced and what I have mined off of various forums. (Try staying up late Google translating .ru forums for fun.)

Originally it we thought the issue was with flashing CWM Recovery, but what that does is exacerbate the problem immediately.

First let me say if you are getting the Livesuit error 163 or 120 it is most likely an issue with what you are doing. There are steps listed in another thread to help you work on this. Only if you have gotten it after a 162 error will it possibly fit you into the next category.

If you are getting the 162 error and you cannot get any other code, do not try to use any other method to force an image. I have now worked on a Prestige 10, 3 Prestige 7, and 2 Connect 7 with the 162 error. Once you attempt to force an image, using the Allwinner manufacturer's app PhoenixCard the NAND will become unstable. The image will normally boot and run for a random amount of time. Then either you will reboot it, or it will reboot on it's own and you will get stuck in a boot loop. Booting into recovery you can factory data reset and it will work for awhile, but it will corrupt again. The log error points to not being able to load the data partition, in a couple instances when it successfully flashed there was no /sdcard or user storage partition.

The most logical thing I have read points to a possible relation to the firmware of the NAND chip or the chip itself and and incompatibility with ICS. It doesn't explain why it isn't happening across the board or why the original image works until you try to replace it.. On that theories run from fake NAND chips, like when there was a ton of cheap MP3 players with NAND showing 16GB but when you loaded more than 4GB on them they corrupted to possible older NAND getting mixed into a batch of newer. I read on one Chinese site that there were certain NAND that were incompatible with ICS and was why some brands never upgraded the OS like Pandigital for instance. So maybe some of these got sent out by mistake. There is also some speculation that this is why some manufacturers like Dragon Touch and Zeki will not release firmware updates because they do not want to risk blowing the NAND and having to replace units.

Regardless the issue does not seem to have hit a lot of units from any one maker. It can seem like a lot here but when you look at this forum is specifically for user to user support for VL then of course you will see it more here, but also see that it is not plastered all over every forum you can find. When people have a gripe they piss and moan anywhere someone will listen.

Symptoms:

Currently I know of no way to tell a unit that has the problem from a unit that does not, because many if not most units run fine until a user trys to force past the 162 error, but here are some common symptoms I have found that units may have one or more of:

Prestige 10: From what I can tell the issue is only on the units that are also experiencing the static hiss through the speakers when using the touch screen, and the jumpy screen.

Prestige 7 and Connect 7: ( I cannot confirm the problem on the 7L) System is slow to boot, jumpy screen, very unstable WiFi.

Solutution: None, for now.

Right now the only solution is not to flash, and contact Visual Land customer service if you are having any issues with your tablet. THIS DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE SHOULD BE TRYING TO RETURN ANY TABLETS ON "WHAT IF?"

If there can be an upside to the 162 error is your tablet should still be functional. Many people who reported the issue weren't having a problem with their tablet and could continue to use them. That being the case possibly I will work toward some MOD installs like the first one I did for the 7.

The thing is problem like this tend to weed themselves out over time as well. Not knowing how these manufacturers order or how many batches they may run in a certain amount of time usually problems burn out rather quickly as new stock comes out.

One thing that could help would be people with the 162 error and still working units could reply in this thread with the info in the About section of the Settings. ICS has a built in screen capture of tapping power + volume down at the same time, you could just post the image. Maybe we would compare version with non-affected units and come up with an identifier like the OS build info or base band version.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Rooted
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    Sero 7 Pro Rabid ROM Beta
    LePan TC1020 Rooted
    LePan TC802A Rooted - Deodexed

Veteran
    Thanks
    Well in the time it took me post this I got an e-mail from a person with an MK802 that reported the 162 problem. He did my heatsink mod while he was trying to figure it out. His CPU is marked A10s and he thought it was a clone of some kind but from what I understand it is just a modified A10 for better streaming. I have not cracked open a VL tablet and I do not suggest anyone do to find out, but that is just another possibility. Once he found a specific image for the A10s he was able to get it to flash, but it was mostly unusable, no WiFi, no HDMI audio out but he did load some games onto it and it has been stable for over a week. I have asked him to link the file to check it out.

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    One thing that could help would be people with the 162 error and still working units could reply in this thread with the info in the About section of the Settings. ICS has a built in screen capture of tapping power + volume down at the same time, you could just post the image. Maybe we would compare version with non-affected units and come up with an identifier like the OS build info or base band version.
    Hi, I bought a P10 in November and after I got it out of the box, it worked well although somewhat sluggish. I also could root and install GPlay via your forum; but some weeks ago I made a big mistake on activating Avast's anti-theft feature. I decided to uninstall it but to my dismay I lost connection after that and my wi-fi icon turned from blue to gray, and I got the "cannot establish a reliable data connection..." message when adding my G accounts again; I've been looking for a solution to get my tablet back to work but it was hard; I tried all tips available (deleted my accounts and tried to add them again, Youtube, delete cache/data, change hosts file, install security certificates, etc). Nothing worked, but at least I could manage to barely use browsers to surf on the internet, but I couldn't use Gplay, neither 1Mobile nor any app; as a last resort I did a factory reset (I already made a backup so I was OK) but the problems persisted.
    Finally I found the thread here about a stock rom that would help restore my tablet, and so I did; I flashed it back to factory settings following the instructions, and apparently it was all good. Unfortunately this didn't last long since I've been having problems, first trying to install Gplay (from this forum as I did before) I got the "unfortunately Google Play has stopped" error message. When I got it to work it rebooted but it got stuck at the 'Android' logo (or the mascot screen); after rebooting over and over I got an 'Encryption Unsuccessful' message all the time. I had to reformat my SD card, reflash to stock and even changed permissions (first I did it through CWM, then manually through Root Explorer). Now I tried after reading the threads about custom ROMs and public beta release to flash my tablet for use with those roms, but I got the error code 162. I really don't know what to do now! I don't want to give up on this tablet because even though it may be a budget one, at least was close to my expectations and requirements (big screen, big storage space), and it's all I can afford right now.
    One thing I noticed after flashing and 'fixing' the issue (and BTW I couldn't find a related thread anywhere on the internet) was that some folders, such as 'sdcard' or 'system' were dated 12/31/69. The tablet was already synced and date and time were up to date, so I didn't know what to do with those folders so I left them 'as is'. Did it have to do with the issues I'm experiencing, or did I brick my device (I'm not an Android pro... I'm still a noob but I'm learning from trial and error)? This all is driving me nuts

Thanks in advance for you help!

(Sorry to be so long with my story, but I tried to be as much specific as I could about what I've been experiencing with the tablet lately. You can move it wherever you think it would fit)

Screenshot_2013-02-21-22-51-10.jpg
    Visual Land Prestige VL-10 Android JB stock
    Visual Land Prestige VL-10 Android ICS stock (RIP)
    'All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece but not too much'

Veteran
    Thanks
    I have sent back the two Prestige 7 sent to me for testing. After tons of different images and fixes the only thing I can see is it is a problem with the NAND itself. I still haven't found any way to identify a tablet with the issue prior to it failing during or after a flash. All the information in the about section is the same on a working and non working tablet.

From what I can tell the issue only exists on the A10 based tablets, not the A13 based 7L. All 3 of the 7L I was sent that had issue I was able to fix using the tips mentioned ion a previous post, or they simple flashed fine on my system.

Also the complaints have slowed to all but disappeared on many forums now mostly just people who already have the problem looking to see if there has been a fix, so likely the bad NAND have already filetered out of the market.
    Macktion likes this.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rabid1 For This Useful Post:

Macktion (03-23-2013)

Thanks
    Hey rabid1, I tried to pm but your inbox is full. Were you able to ship the tablet?

Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah you should have got it, I can't check until Monday though.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

Thanks
    Nothing yet, but it did take like a week and a half or so when I sent it to you, so maybe it will get here some time this week.

Thanks
    Were you able to get a tracking number?

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr21 View Post
    Were you able to get a tracking number?
    Check your PM's I just got the info.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

Remove Ads