Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kit Kat a Break for older Tablets and Phones?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Kit Kat a Break for older Tablets and Phones?

    KitKat, aka Android 4.4, has faster multitasking and full voice control, according to Google, and a smarter caller ID system so that if the number dialing in isn't on your contacts list then Android will take a guess at who it is using businesses listed on Google Maps.

    KitKat devices can now send documents to printers directly using Google Cloud Print or HP's ePrint system, and Quickoffice has been redesigned to make finding files easier and editing documents and spreadsheets more simple. The email application has also had a facelift, as has the download function.

    The Chocolate Factory promises that KitKat will be able to run on a wider variety of hardware than other versions because it doesn’t require the latest and greatest hardware to run. By shutting down background services and trimming memory requirements, Google reckons KitKat will need just 512MB of RAM to run smoothly.

    Full Article
    lilmonkey likes this.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to affableaardvark For This Useful Post:

    trveller72 (02-02-2014)

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by affableaardvark View Post
    KitKat, aka Android 4.4, has faster multitasking and full voice control, according to Google, and a smarter caller ID system so that if the number dialing in isn't on your contacts list then Android will take a guess at who it is using businesses listed on Google Maps.

    KitKat devices can now send documents to printers directly using Google Cloud Print or HP's ePrint system, and Quickoffice has been redesigned to make finding files easier and editing documents and spreadsheets more simple. The email application has also had a facelift, as has the download function.

    The Chocolate Factory promises that KitKat will be able to run on a wider variety of hardware than other versions because it doesn’t require the latest and greatest hardware to run. By shutting down background services and trimming memory requirements, Google reckons KitKat will need just 512MB of RAM to run smoothly.

    Full Article
    Just ordered a Nexus 5 and also seen this. I think this is good news and hopefully will encourage the developers here

  4. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Lets hope that means we might get some more life out of the old vega.
    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.


    twitter @brurobinson

  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Middle East
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    YEAH , thank you all for your good news

  6. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 166 Times in 60 Posts
    It would be nice... ... ART instead of Dalvik would accelerate apps ... but, tegra2 has a problem: It does not support NEON extensions, so i don't know if it is possible to boot kitkat... IF i have some free time, PERHAPS i will try it...
    trveller72 likes this.
    If you want to support my development, or want to help buying hw to support new features/devices, or just want to say thanks, please, consider making a donation through PayPal to my account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ejtagle For This Useful Post:

    trveller72 (01-10-2014)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtagle View Post
    It would be nice... ... ART instead of Dalvik would accelerate apps ... but, tegra2 has a problem: It does not support NEON extensions, so i don't know if it is possible to boot kitkat... IF i have some free time, PERHAPS i will try it...
    Thank you ejtagle for taking the time to look at ART and KitKat!!!

  9. #7
    TR ELITE TEAM giveen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Caldwell, ID
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 259 Times in 148 Posts
    Well if we get more life out of our older Tegra 2, it would be from CM. They stopped doing Tegra 2 support. I'm currently looking into AOSP and AOKP to see if the support is still there.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    kit kat in our vegas hopefully works

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtagle View Post
    It would be nice... ... ART instead of Dalvik would accelerate apps ... but, tegra2 has a problem: It does not support NEON extensions, so i don't know if it is possible to boot kitkat... IF i have some free time, PERHAPS i will try it...
    Hey not mean to push you, but I've just read that the motorola xoom has a working kit kat version ([ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers)....as we know the moto xoom also comes with nvidia tegra 2, so maybe there's something on the repos of that rom (Omnirom) that can help with the development of kitkat for the good old Advent Vega

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to vashminted For This Useful Post:

    trveller72 (01-10-2014)

  13. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 166 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vashminted View Post
    Hey not mean to push you, but I've just read that the motorola xoom has a working kit kat version ([ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers)....as we know the moto xoom also comes with nvidia tegra 2, so maybe there's something on the repos of that rom (Omnirom) that can help with the development of kitkat for the good old Advent Vega
    This is very interesting... Yes, i think it is possible to port the OnmiROM KitKat rom version already developed for the Moto Xoom / Acer IconiaA500/A501 to the Advent tablet. But it will require some creative thinking:

    1) We need to forward port our advent support patches to the 3.1 nvidia kernel to the 3.8 kernel used by Xoom/Iconia. Should not be a hard problem. ll those devices use a Tegra2 chipset, so we should expect differences to be minimal (as far as i can recall, we are already using graphics libraries from the Iconia dump for our tegra2)

    2) We need to slightly modify the OmniROM iconia lunch target to be able to run in our tablet

    3) We need to patch wifi support so our atheros wifi chipset can ge used ... I think it should not be a problem

    4) And now the creative thinking:
    a) Kitkat requires at least 512MBytes on the /system partition... So, there is simply not enough space inside the nand flash for it... So.. 2 options
    a.1) Directly store the /system partition in the external sdcard. Workable, but probably very slow (nand is 10x faster compared to the external SD, or even more if not using the proper sd card). Also store the /data partition in external sd card
    a.2) I would like to use the internal nand flash as the /system storage, and also try to use it as the /data storage. That would improve performance quite a bit, but there is not enough space... So, i think that the way vegabeam did is the right way to go:
    a.2.1) Compress /system using squashfs and store the squashed system partitioninto nand. This squashed system could contain the gapps.
    a.2.2) Temporarily store /data into nand and run the tablet a bit: Why? because we want android to store shared objects in /data/data.
    a.2.3) Compress /data into squashfs and store the squashedfs into nand
    a.2.4) Now modify the rom so it mounts he squashedfs system and data from nand, and , using unionfs (or aufs) merge with a system partition that resides on the external sd card, and a /data partition that also resides on the external sd card. This approach will give nand read speeds for the base system, and sdcard read speeds for user installed applications. We could also take advantage of the remaining free nand space by also creating a /data partition on it and fusing it to the common /data, so, while the nand is not full, all storage is done in the nand, and when we run out of space, then all writes are redirected to the external sd card..
    If you want to support my development, or want to help buying hw to support new features/devices, or just want to say thanks, please, consider making a donation through PayPal to my account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to ejtagle For This Useful Post:

    trveller72 (01-30-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Similar Threads

  1. [GAME][FREE][ANDROID] Break Free
    By vitorlanna in forum Application/Game Developement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  2. Hi everyone! Older Newbie
    By nyemas in forum General Welcome & Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM
  3. Are Android tablets different than Android phones?
    By Magdalene in forum All Other Android Tablets General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM
  4. What phones have you rooted?
    By zerofeel in forum Cell Phones & Smart Phones - Hacks & Roms
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  5. Do you ever do stupid things that could potentially break your tablet?
    By MitchSamuels in forum Off Topic Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Search tags for this page

advent vega kit kat
,

advent vega kitkat

,

advent vega kitkat rom

,
can you load kitkat on dell streak 5
,

dell streak 5 kitkat

,

dell streak 5 kitkat rom

,

dell streak 7 kit kat

,

dell streak 7 kitkat

,
streak 7 kit kat
,

tegra 2 kitkat

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •