Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kit Kat a Break for older Tablets and Phones?

Thanks

Kit Kat a Break for older Tablets and Phones?

KitKat, aka Android 4.4, has faster multitasking and full voice control, according to Google, and a smarter caller ID system so that if the number dialing in isn't on your contacts list then Android will take a guess at who it is using businesses listed on Google Maps.

KitKat devices can now send documents to printers directly using Google Cloud Print or HP's ePrint system, and Quickoffice has been redesigned to make finding files easier and editing documents and spreadsheets more simple. The email application has also had a facelift, as has the download function.

The Chocolate Factory promises that KitKat will be able to run on a wider variety of hardware than other versions because it doesn’t require the latest and greatest hardware to run. By shutting down background services and trimming memory requirements, Google reckons KitKat will need just 512MB of RAM to run smoothly.

Full Article
    lilmonkey likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to affableaardvark For This Useful Post:

trveller72 (02-02-2014)

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by affableaardvark View Post
    KitKat, aka Android 4.4, has faster multitasking and full voice control, according to Google, and a smarter caller ID system so that if the number dialing in isn't on your contacts list then Android will take a guess at who it is using businesses listed on Google Maps.

KitKat devices can now send documents to printers directly using Google Cloud Print or HP's ePrint system, and Quickoffice has been redesigned to make finding files easier and editing documents and spreadsheets more simple. The email application has also had a facelift, as has the download function.

The Chocolate Factory promises that KitKat will be able to run on a wider variety of hardware than other versions because it doesn’t require the latest and greatest hardware to run. By shutting down background services and trimming memory requirements, Google reckons KitKat will need just 512MB of RAM to run smoothly.

Full Article
    Just ordered a Nexus 5 and also seen this. I think this is good news and hopefully will encourage the developers here

Regular
    Thanks
    Lets hope that means we might get some more life out of the old vega.
    All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

twitter @brurobinson

Regular
    Thanks
    YEAH , thank you all for your good news

Regular
    Thanks
    It would be nice... ... ART instead of Dalvik would accelerate apps ... but, tegra2 has a problem: It does not support NEON extensions, so i don't know if it is possible to boot kitkat... IF i have some free time, PERHAPS i will try it...
    trveller72 likes this.
    If you want to support my development, or want to help buying hw to support new features/devices, or just want to say thanks, please, consider making a donation through PayPal to my account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ejtagle For This Useful Post:

trveller72 (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtagle View Post
    It would be nice... ... ART instead of Dalvik would accelerate apps ... but, tegra2 has a problem: It does not support NEON extensions, so i don't know if it is possible to boot kitkat... IF i have some free time, PERHAPS i will try it...
    Thank you ejtagle for taking the time to look at ART and KitKat!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well if we get more life out of our older Tegra 2, it would be from CM. They stopped doing Tegra 2 support. I'm currently looking into AOSP and AOKP to see if the support is still there.

Thanks
    kit kat in our vegas hopefully works

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtagle View Post
    Hey not mean to push you, but I've just read that the motorola xoom has a working kit kat version ([ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers)....as we know the moto xoom also comes with nvidia tegra 2, so maybe there's something on the repos of that rom (Omnirom) that can help with the development of kitkat for the good old Advent Vega

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vashminted For This Useful Post:

trveller72 (01-10-2014)

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vashminted View Post
    Hey not mean to push you, but I've just read that the motorola xoom has a working kit kat version ([ROM][4.4.2] OmniROM - Wingray - bigPart - xda-developers)....as we know the moto xoom also comes with nvidia tegra 2, so maybe there's something on the repos of that rom (Omnirom) that can help with the development of kitkat for the good old Advent Vega
    This is very interesting... Yes, i think it is possible to port the OnmiROM KitKat rom version already developed for the Moto Xoom / Acer IconiaA500/A501 to the Advent tablet. But it will require some creative thinking:

1) We need to forward port our advent support patches to the 3.1 nvidia kernel to the 3.8 kernel used by Xoom/Iconia. Should not be a hard problem. ll those devices use a Tegra2 chipset, so we should expect differences to be minimal (as far as i can recall, we are already using graphics libraries from the Iconia dump for our tegra2)

2) We need to slightly modify the OmniROM iconia lunch target to be able to run in our tablet

3) We need to patch wifi support so our atheros wifi chipset can ge used ... I think it should not be a problem

4) And now the creative thinking:
    a) Kitkat requires at least 512MBytes on the /system partition... So, there is simply not enough space inside the nand flash for it... So.. 2 options
    a.1) Directly store the /system partition in the external sdcard. Workable, but probably very slow (nand is 10x faster compared to the external SD, or even more if not using the proper sd card). Also store the /data partition in external sd card
    a.2) I would like to use the internal nand flash as the /system storage, and also try to use it as the /data storage. That would improve performance quite a bit, but there is not enough space... So, i think that the way vegabeam did is the right way to go:
    a.2.1) Compress /system using squashfs and store the squashed system partitioninto nand. This squashed system could contain the gapps.
    a.2.2) Temporarily store /data into nand and run the tablet a bit: Why? because we want android to store shared objects in /data/data.
    a.2.3) Compress /data into squashfs and store the squashedfs into nand
    a.2.4) Now modify the rom so it mounts he squashedfs system and data from nand, and , using unionfs (or aufs) merge with a system partition that resides on the external sd card, and a /data partition that also resides on the external sd card. This approach will give nand read speeds for the base system, and sdcard read speeds for user installed applications. We could also take advantage of the remaining free nand space by also creating a /data partition on it and fusing it to the common /data, so, while the nand is not full, all storage is done in the nand, and when we run out of space, then all writes are redirected to the external sd card..
    If you want to support my development, or want to help buying hw to support new features/devices, or just want to say thanks, please, consider making a donation through PayPal to my account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ejtagle For This Useful Post:

trveller72 (01-30-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads