Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future of the Advent Vega / PoV Mobii Tegra2

Regular
    Thanks
    vegabean was the best thing that ever happened for this tablet. cyanogen mod was no where near to providing an experience that vegabean does.

Thanks
    I am sorry to ask this question a second time in this forum, but I just saw now that maybe here is the better place: What was the latest and best VegaBean working without external SD-card ? A download-link would be great also. Thanks in advance.

Answer: Seems to be VegaBean-Beta3.0. Correct ?
    Last edited by pogodancer; 12-28-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Answer

Thanks
    CM 10.1 works fine for me, maybe I donate a new Superhighmegaspeed SD-card. The Bluetooth and recallibration hazzle are the only annoying things with this rom. I'd never go back to previous versions of Android.

@ pogo: I think ICS was the latest without SD scripts, but I lost the overview.

tab
    Thanks
    VegaBean Beta 6, or the final RC work without any special partition on the SD card. They have scripts that use it if it is present, but get on OK without it.

Personally, I prefer Beta 6. If you install lots of apps you might be able to make yourself more space by going in to Settings > Apps, and moving each app to the SD card (for the apps that allow it).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tab For This Useful Post:

pogodancer (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scanno View Post
    All,

As you might now, i have brought you VegaCream (Android 4.0), VegaBean (Android 4.1) and CM10.1 (Android 4.2). Sadly the end of support for Tegra2 devices is coming closer and closer. I have been looking into bringing CM10.2 (Android 4.3) to our device. But i am running into problems. Problems that we might be able to solve or not. Fact is that the CM team has stated that after CM10.1 there will be no more support for Tegra2 based devices.
    For this statement see: https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/8wcuSVkr7zR

I hope there will be efforts to still support Tegra2 devices. If so i will try to make a CM10.2 version for our device.
    Perhaps together with other developers we might find a way.

Regards,

Scanno
    http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/6727-kit-kat-break-older-tablets-phones-post84476.html
    Moto xoom seems to have kit-kat. It may help.
    Thank you for all your hard work.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trveller72 View Post
    Kit Kat a Break for older Tablets and Phones? - Page 2
    Moto xoom seems to have kit-kat. It may help.
    Thank you for all your hard work.
    Yes,not only Xoom has it, but also Acer iconia A500/A501 has it. It is certainly possible to port it to the advent tegra tablet. The only thing that makes it harder is that the Advent tablet has only 512Mbytes of internal nand storage, we would need to entirely dedicate it to the system partition, and store user applications in the external SD card...
    If you want to support my development, or want to help buying hw to support new features/devices, or just want to say thanks, please, consider making a donation through PayPal to my account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejtagle For This Useful Post:

Meins321 (03-05-2014), trveller72 (02-07-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtagle View Post
    Yes,not only Xoom has it, but also Acer iconia A500/A501 has it. It is certainly possible to port it to the advent tegra tablet. The only thing that makes it harder is that the Advent tablet has only 512Mbytes of internal nand storage, we would need to entirely dedicate it to the system partition, and store user applications in the external SD card...
    4.4 on the Vega? THAT would be insane :-P

i think that some of the version crave is all about marketing, as a user of many android's i can say that the new "HALO" feature equals "plague" more than a feature

the Vega needs a stable and bare bones daily driver to run it in the ground the screen isn't the best, but still clones are sold with android 4.4 around here at local stores, you can grab them for 89-109 and they run Android 4.0 to 4.2

Thanks
    I recently restored this device in to service for use as a Living-Room Controller (Music-to-Receiver via BlueTooth or from Sony Remote app (DLNA/Pandora/Slacker/FM), EcoBee Thermostat Control, HUE and Insteon Lighting Control, etc.). If you have no use for this tablet as a tablet, but wish it was stable enough to be a single-purpose (limited multi-purpose) controller of some kind, then here is what I recommend:

I tried all ROMs again and ended up going all the way back to VegaCream RC2. It has no speaker pop-noise and is completely stable even without an SDCard. You should install "Advanced WiFi Lock Free" from play store to keep wifi always on, and I would also set the display to never sleep (just turn it off manually with either the power-button or any free "screen off" app). You should probably also install a very lightweight launcher (like a "Car Dock" app or something) and set it up for easy huge-icon access to the 6 or so apps you will ever use this device for.

Here is a (currently) working DL link:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisFelix View Post
    Here is an alternate opinion, as VegaBean is needed by some (but for my purposes it was more important to I'll avoid the speaker pop on startup and to avoid BlueTooth issues)...
    Quote Originally Posted by tab View Post
    CM10.1 has been a fine ROM. I love the launcher and built in overclock and tweakers settings - very interesting to play with and nice to use. But I've gone back to VegaBean with no SD card ext4 partition.

Using an ext4 partition with CM10.1 or VegaBean made me too frustrated with often long hangs and stutters as the tablet tried to read and write to the SD card. Running VB with only a FAT32 partition on the SD card I need to be careful to choose just the apps I need, but I have plenty of space for YouTube, Google Play, Bubblesoft UPNP, MXPlayer and BBC iPlayer. These apps all let me move them to the SD Card, but without noticeable performance impact when I switch or start apps.

VegaBean is Android 4.1, so Bubblesoft UPNP supports gapless music playback. (It doesn't on the older Android versions). The WiFi is pretty robust, and normally standby is pretty stable. It's good knowing that Bluetooth is there if I want to use it.

Apex Launcher in VegaBean is nice. I've tried the version 2.X from the Play store (and paid for it), but have gone back to using the version that you bundled in the ROM, Scanno.

Despite the goodness in VB, there are minor issues; these are the ones I noticed:
    Sometimes loosing the WiFi, requiring turning WiFi off and on again (installing Advanced WiFi Lock to avoid loosing WiFi seems to work well)
    Sometimes finding the tablet locked with a black screen after it has been sleeping (installing Advanced WiFi Lock seems to stop this too)
    HDMI output has black borders, and using HDMI out and BBC iPlayer at the same time causes a reboot (HoneyIce Chimera had perfect HDMI)
    Sometimes I get carried away and install too many apps and run out of space - any remaining trimming of default install size would be welcome

So for me, the best future for Advent Vega ROMs would be a VegaBean refresh
    A stable KitKat would be a dream.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post

A stable KitKat would be a dream.
    Hi, Everyone, and especially Scanno and ejtagle. Is there any hope that some work is being done in the background and we may yet see an amazing update for the dear old Vega?
    Last edited by MikhailM; 10-30-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads