Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC iPlayer woes etc etc.

Thanks

BBC iPlayer woes etc etc.

I've been taking a look at these iPlayer app issues. The version that "works" (with the invisible button - how crap is that) is 1.0; the one on the market is 1.04. I can download and install 1.04 from market.android.com but I get the not-compatible message (and it's not visible from the Market App). Can other people not see and install 1.04? I'm not running a vanilla HoneyIce install; for example my fingerprint is actually from ViewComb:

ro.build.fingerprint=asus/WW_epad/TF101:3.2/HTJ85B/WW_epad-8.6.5.7-20110730:user/release-keys

Looking through the 1.04 code, there is a check when the main activity is created on the OS version (1.0 has no such check). If the API level is 11 (i.e. Honeycomb) or greater then it attempts to launch the iPlayer Mobile website and then exits. Of course, the Mobile Website is probably then checking the browser signature which redirects to the "not supported" page. Basically it's trying to limit you to Gingerbread MR1.

<rant on>
    I have abolutely no doubt that with every fart from Cupertino that might signal a point release of IOS, there's a scramble among the iPlayer dev team to ensure that BBC management with their plethora of iPhones and iPads are amply catered for.... while us poor sods end up with the arse end of naff all.
    </rant off>

To cut a long story short, I've produced a version of 1.04 (called cunningly enough 1.05) that allows all api levels up to 127 so it will only fail when Google get round to releasing "Spotted Dick" at which point the BBC might have actually realised that not all licence payers either own or want to own an Apple tablet. Unfortunately, having installed it it still suffers from "Invisible Button Syndrome" but hey it's early days.....

...Next step is to try and introduce some support for X-LARGE screens (wherein I suspect the problem lies).

If anyone wants 1.05 I can upload it to a suitable location.

Edit: I've not tried it on VegaICS but if 1.0 doesn't work, I doubt this one will either.

Available here:

bbc.iplayer.android-1.0.5.apk
    Last edited by Andy_E; 01-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_E For This Useful Post:

gjc (01-20-2012)

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_E View Post
    I've been taking a look at these iPlayer app issues. The version that "works" (with the invisible button - how crap is that) is 1.0; the one on the market is 1.04. I can download and install 1.04 from market.android.com but I get the not-compatible message (and it's not visible from the Market App). Can other people not see and install 1.04? I'm not running a vanilla HoneyIce install; for example my fingerprint is actually from ViewComb:

ro.build.fingerprint=asus/WW_epad/TF101:3.2/HTJ85B/WW_epad-8.6.5.7-20110730:user/release-keys

Looking through the 1.04 code, there is a check when the main activity is created on the OS version (1.0 has no such check). If the API level is 11 (i.e. Honeycomb) or greater then it attempts to launch the iPlayer Mobile website and then exits. Of course, the Mobile Website is probably then checking the browser signature which redirects to the "not supported" page. Basically it's trying to limit you to Gingerbread MR1.

<rant on>
    I have abolutely no doubt that with every fart from Cupertino that might signal a point release of IOS, there's a scramble among the iPlayer dev team to ensure that BBC management with their plethora of iPhones and iPads are amply catered for.... while us poor sods end up with the arse end of naff all.
    </rant off>

To cut a long story short, I've produced a version of 1.04 (called cunningly enough 1.05) that allows all api levels up to 127 so it will only fail when Google get round to releasing "Spotted Dick" at which point the BBC might have actually realised that not all licence payers either own or want to own an Apple tablet. Unfortunately, having installed it it still suffers from "Invisible Button Syndrome" but hey it's early days.....

...Next step is to try and introduce some support for X-LARGE screens (wherein I suspect the problem lies).

If anyone wants 1.05 I can upload it to a suitable location.

Edit: I've not tried it on VegaICS but if 1.0 doesn't work, I doubt this one will either.
    Hello Andy_E. I'm currently using Viewcomb on my Vega, but I would be happy to test the app for you, whether on VC, HI or anything else you like. I'm not a programmer by any means (command lines are a foreign language to me) but I can test what works and what doesn't, if that helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ursulavasey View Post
    Hello Andy_E. I'm currently using Viewcomb on my Vega, but I would be happy to test the app for you, whether on VC, HI or anything else you like. I'm not a programmer by any means (command lines are a foreign language to me) but I can test what works and what doesn't, if that helps.
    Hi Ursula,

Good of you to volunteer

I'll upload it tonight when I get home (filesharing sites are not allowed by the Internet Gestapo here at work). It'll probably be late before I get round to it.

Regular
    Thanks
    Hi Ursula,

Good of you to volunteer

I'll upload it tonight when I get home (filesharing sites are not allowed by the Internet Gestapo here at work). It'll probably be late before I get round to it.
    That's OK Andy, no hurry. I'm laid up in bed with a bug at the moment. I'm supposed to be at college now, but I rang in sick, which is unusual for me.

Thanks
    Hi, Andy_E...

I would definately up for testing a new BBC iPlayer APK on VC...

MikhailM graciously uploaded v1.0 recently... but trawling through my collection of APKs, I discovered I already had it.
    ... and the damned thing never works... just get a preview in the top left hand corner of my screen, which remains obstinately inert; ie, does nothing when I click on it...

v1.04 just redirects through the browser, where I am told that my "phone is not compatible"

I have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed, so that's not the problem... besides, I can get iPlayer to work through my browser, Opera Mobile.

You mention FINGERPRINT issues, mine is from Vegacomb+ HoneyIce RC2.1, as follows...

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

Could this be the problem?... Do fingerprints contain some geographical component?

I know that BBC iPlayer is not available to users outside the UK, due to them not having paid the TV Licensing fee.... and if so, maybe that's why BBC iPlayer doesn't appear in Android Market.

It is weird that our Vegas are capable of HDMI output, but there seems to no decent iPlayer app... thoroughly agree with you about BBC/IOS. I do often get the sense that Android is treated as a bit of a joke/afterthought by media organisations... Apple always seems to get preferential treatment.

Anyway, looking forward to roadtesting your v1.05

GED.

edit - apologies, got 1.0 and 1.04 mixed up. Post amended accordingly.
    Last edited by GedBlake; 01-18-2012 at 09:35 AM.

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    Found the problem:

Everybody who has a Xoom US cannot run iPlayer. Everybody who has an Xoom UK can. This means somewhere (our ROM also has some xoom parts in it) it's set to US (I think I know where). Verizon is a provider in the US btw, so it could be fingerprint but not sure. If somebody can get me an image (or build.prop) from Xoom UK we can look into it (preferable an image).

Areo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to areo For This Useful Post:

GedBlake (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GedBlake View Post
    Hi, Andy_E...

I would definately up for testing a new BBC iPlayer APK on VC...

MikhailM graciously uploaded v1.04 recently... but trawling through my collection of APKs, I discovered I already had it.
    ... and the damned thing never works... just get a preview in the top left hand corner of my screen, which remains obstinately inert; ie, does nothing when I click on it...

v1.0 just redirects through the browser, where I am told that my "phone is not compatible"

I have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed, so that's not the problem... besides, I can get iPlayer to work through my browser, Opera Mobile.
    GED,

You've kinda hit it except it's 1.0 with the inert preview and 1.04 that tells you that you're not worthy

Persist with 1.0 - you have to hit the right-hand side of the small preview window about half-way up just to the left of the text and trust me it will play "full-screen".

(I've just rolled back to Flash 10.1 to see if that plays nicer browser-wise so as of yesterday evening I'm not getting totally full screen but it still works)

You mention FINGERPRINT issues, mine is from Vegacomb+ HoneyIce RC2.1, as follows...

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.1-update1/ESE81/29593:user/release-keys

Could this be the problem?... Do fingerprints contain some geographical component?
    That will explain why it's marked as non-compatible on the market website ... however, we're side-loading so that doesn't impact actually getting it installed...

I know that BBC iPlayer is not available to users outside the UK, due to them not having paid the TV Licensing fee.... and if so, maybe that's why BBC iPlayer doesn't appear in Android Market.
    ...and thinking about it the above probably explains the Market app.

No trust me, I've decompiled both apps and I can see where 1.04 launches the browser and it's entirely down to API version. Having said that it will then check location so no UK no launch.

It is weird that our Vegas are capable of HDMI output, but there seems to no decent iPlayer app... thoroughly agree with you about BBC/IOS. I do often get the sense that Android is treated as a bit of a joke/afterthought by media organisations... Apple always seems to get preferential treatment.

Anyway, looking forward to roadtesting your v1.05

GED.
    It's still going to be "inert" for the moment so you'll still have to figure out where that invisible button is

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_E For This Useful Post:

GedBlake (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areo View Post
    Everybody who has a Xoom US cannot run iPlayer. Everybody who has an Xoom UK can. This means somewhere (our ROM also has some xoom parts in it) it's set to US (I think I know where)
    I can run iPlayer - it just doesn't work very well.

I'm intrigued to know how it behaves on the stock Vega ROM or Corvus or Cyanogen. The moment I got my Vega it got the OS update treatment, so I have no idea. Perhaps someone who did have it working previously could chip in. It's primarily the preview screen, most everything else I've played around with in it behaves pretty well.

Thanks
    I can run iPlayer - it just doesn't work very well.

I'm intrigued to know how it behaves on the stock Vega ROM or Corvus or Cyanogen. The moment I got my Vega it got the OS update treatment, so I have no idea. Perhaps someone who did have it working previously could chip in. It's primarily the preview screen, most everything else I've played around with in it behaves pretty well.
    Thanks... that tip about the invisible play button worked. Not quite sure why it's invisible, or how you are supposed to discover it...

Apologies for getting v1.0 and v1.04 mixed up... I have since changed this on my original post.

Never tried it under Stock, Corvus or Cyanogen... but I do remember it running well under MoDaCo r8... and it was available in Android Market; that's where I originally downloaded it from. The precise details are a bit hazy now (it was back in August '11).

Thanks again ...

GED.

Regular
    Thanks
    Could the invisible button be down to a 120dpi screen as opposed to the native 160dpi?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads