Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vegacomb, Moddedstock Installation Guide

Thanks

Vegacomb, Moddedstock Installation Guide

Thanks to SkipSkovhugger for his time and effort in putting together these instructions for installing Vegacomb and Moddedstock on the Advent Vega. Of couse, don't forget to thank TeamNewCo and TeamVillain!

Disclaimer
    Before you update, you MUST be running the new moddedstock base as this increases the /system partition size to make VegaComb BETA 1.7 fit. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS THE INSTALL WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY AND YOU WILL SOFTBRICK YOUR VEGA!

Intro:

This will guide you thought the VegaComb installation process. It’s based on a stock Advent Vega running the official Advent 2.2 firmware, and a Windows 7 based computer.
    What you need:

Software:

ModdedStock firmware: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    VegaComb (Look in the Tabletroms forum / Advent Tablets / Vega / Vega ROM Development section for the latest releases)
    AUDI MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    VegaTools VT4setup.exe

Hardware:

Advent Vega
    USB-A to USB-A cable (included with the Vega)

Drivers:

The first thing you’ll have to do is getting the Vega recognized by your system. For this you will need the correct ADB drivers.
    Download AUDI and VegaTools from the links above, and make sure that USB debugging is enabled on the Vega.
    To do this, go to Settings->Applications->Development, and turn on USB debugging.
    You’ll get a prompt, asking you if you really want to turn on debugging, as it’s intended for development purposes only.
    Press OK to allow USB debugging, and shut down your Vega.
    Launch VegaTools v4, and go to the Extras tab.
    Click on the Start USBDeview in the Historic Tools group.

Once USBDeview opens, find and uninstall all nVidia devices (Right Click->Uninstall Selected Devices).
    Choose Yes, when prompted to uninstall the devices.

Boot into recovery:

To do this, make sure it’s connected via USB to your computer and completely turned off! Then do the following sequence:
    Hold the Back button for 2 seconds, then the Back AND Power buttons for 2 seconds and finally only the Back button for 2 more seconds.
    Your Vega should now boot into recovery (you can see the backlight turning on, but nothing comes up on screen) and Windows will find a new unknown device called APX, but it won’t have any drivers for it yet.

Then start AUDI by Right clicking, and choosing Run as Administrator (the program will not start unless it’s being run with elevated privileges).

Once AUDI has started, choose the “I want to install the Advent “stock ROM” using recovery” option.
    The red box at the bottom should now say
    “The recovery driver is NOT correctly installed. Proceed to step 3”
    Press the Next step button.

With the Step 3 options now available, let’s quickly run through the options.
    Part A gives me an unhandled exception, but its main purpose is to make a restore point.
    You can do this manually, by right clicking Computer and choosing Properties.
    Press the System Protection option in the left-hand pane. And finally, pressing the Create button on the System Protection tab.

Part B is actually what we did in AUDI earlier, but might cause the computer to reboot.

So proceed to press the “Part C: Install correct driver” button, and in the prompt choose “Just get on with it. Do it for me!” and click the Do it button.

Windows will not tell you it’s not a signed driver, and ask you if you want to install them anyway. And of course you’ll want to do this.
    Once it’s done, you will get a confirmation popup. Just press OK, to close it.

Your drivers are now installed, and AUDI will have a big green box at the bottom, instead of a red one.
    This means that the drivers are installed, and the Vega is recognized by Windows.

Installing ModdedStock:

Now you’re ready to install the ModdedStock firmware, with the revised partitioning scheme, that lets you run VegaComb.
    If you haven’t downloaded it yet, do so now from this link (URL).
    Once you’ve got it downloaded, just run the VegaModdedStock_v1.10_v2.exe file as Administrator.

The program will now extract its content, and start a command prompt with nvflash, which will start sending the ModdedStock ROM to your Vega.

Your Vega will power on its screen, and will show “Entering nvflash recovery mode / nv3p server”
    Once nvflash is done, it will ask you to Press a key to continue which will just close the Command Prompt window.
    You can now safely turn your Vega on. Once it is booted up, you can go into Settings->About Device and see that the Build number now reads “Advent Vega Stock 1.10 MODDED – newbe5”
    Congratulations, you’ve got the ModdedStock ROM installed, and are ready for the next step VegaComb.
    You can continue using this ROM, as your everyday OS on the Vega if you’d like to.
    Installing VegaComb
    Now we will install VegaComb. This is done through ClockWorkMod Recovery. If you’ve tried flashing an Android phone, you will be familiar with this.
    You might have noticed that you have a few new Apps installed. If you open the App list, you’ll see Superuser (as it’s a rooted ROM), Taskmanager, iFileManager and Recovery.
    The Recovery app is the interesting one, as it lets you boot into ClockWorkMod Recovery, where we will flash to VegaComb.
    So proceed to download VegaComb if you haven’t done so already. And place it in the root of your SD card.

Once that’s done, open the Apps list, and press the Recovery app.
    That will reboot your Vega, and make it enter ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM).
    If you haven’t used CWM before, the controls are pretty simple. You go up and down, with the Volume rocker buttons. Enter a menu with the Power Button, and go back with the Back button.

If you jumped the gun, and pressed the Recovery App, before placing the VegaComb-BETA1.7.zip file on the SD card. Don’t worry, go into the Mounts and storage menu and choose Mount USB storage.
    Your computer will now have a Removable Disk available.
    You can now do a NANDROID backup from CWM. It is recommended that you do this.
    So navigate to the Backup and restore menu. Choose Backup and let CWM do its thing.
    This backup, will be placed on your SD Card!
    I’d recommend backing that up to your computer as well, but do NOT rename the generated file. As the NANDROID backup process generated an MD5 checksum. If you rename the file, one it’s on your computer. You won’t be able to use it as a restore image.

Flashing VegaComb:

Now that you’ve copied the VegaComb .zip file to the SD card, and made a Nandroid backup. It’s time to do the final steps to flash VegaComb.
    • First, choose “wipe data/factory reset” and navigate down to the “Yes – delete all user data” option, and press the Power button.
    • Then choose “wipe cache partition” and navigate down to the “Yes – delete all user data” option, and press the Power button.
    • Next, choose “advanced” and then “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and navigate down to the “Yes – delete all user data” option, and press the Power button.
    • Now press the Back button, to return to the main menu of CWM. Navigate to “install zip from sdcard”
    • Then choose “toggle signature verification” to make sure it’s Disabled!
    • Now select the “choose zip from sdcard” option
    • Select the VegaComb .zip file (the name obviously changes with whatever version you're flashing) from the menu, and navigate down to the “Yes – delete all user data” option, and press the Power button.

You are now flashing VegaComb to your Vega!
    Once that’s done, the screen will read Install from sdcard complete.
    You can now use the Back button to return to the main menu of CWM, and choose the “reboot system now” option.
    That’s it. Your Vega will now boot into VegaComb, and present you with the home screen.

By the way, all credit for this guide goes to SkipSkovhugger, who created it. Please don't thank me, instead thank him(he has posts right below).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (16.9 KB, 391 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.8 KB, 189 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (16.8 KB, 118 views)
    • File Type: png 4.png (16.1 KB, 111 views)
    • File Type: png 5.png (11.8 KB, 2743 views)
    Last edited by will765; 08-22-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added links
    Arnd Brugman, loftyone and Valjean like this.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

2. The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to will765 For This Useful Post:

Accommodation (09-05-2011), Adduxi (08-14-2011), Adventcg (11-01-2011), anoxo (09-04-2011), aruka (08-24-2011), colheath (11-26-2011), colonelblighty (10-31-2011), dannydynamite (08-21-2011), dexyatboxy (11-07-2011), docck (08-03-2011), estacol (09-07-2011), foxsen (07-20-2012), groundzero (04-26-2012), gsmlnx (09-19-2011), jayk32 (10-25-2011), jellywobbles (01-17-2012), joshurtree (10-30-2011), kareldewitte (08-30-2011), kinobe (08-02-2011), knoore (09-24-2011), lockel (09-22-2011), loftyone (10-12-2011), lumpenfolk (11-05-2011), marind (09-14-2011), minty1978 (08-19-2011), mrpogo (02-08-2013), pischla (10-26-2011), Polybius (09-17-2011), quadraxas (08-25-2011), rayan17 (11-28-2011), samildanach (09-18-2011), simate (08-19-2011), Simey_ (09-12-2011), snuif (05-19-2012), srgi (10-07-2011), StevieB1984 (11-13-2011), Stilleh (02-18-2012), themonks (10-16-2011), Theomack (10-03-2011), Tomasz Gorajski (09-02-2011), Valjean (10-16-2011), videoaddict (11-15-2011), Vinnie (09-12-2011), VN02 (11-03-2011), zathros (02-19-2012)

Thanks
    Fantastic guide. Cheers.

I find that gettings into recovery mode easier if I hold the buttons for 1 second, not 2. Like this:
    Back : count "0" - "1"
    Back+Power : count "0" - "1"
    Back : count "0" - "1"

I guess a lot of people count 1 - 2 instead, but either way it's 1 second not 2. Hope this helps - I've struggled for ages counting 0 - 1 - 2 and getting nowhere

Edit: I've actually experimented a lot more on this see post #8 below ...
    Last edited by kinobe; 08-03-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: I was too eager ;)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinobe For This Useful Post:

aruka (08-24-2011), dfanton (10-14-2011), Krandir (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    Hey Kinobe, thanks mate, glad you like it
    I actually didn't have any problems booting it into recovery, using 2 seconds (and I don't just count fast :P).
    I've just tried with one second, as you suggested and indeed, it works just as well.

Bill, I've uploaded the pictures to my Photobucket account.
    I don't know if you'll want to give me moderation powers in this sub-forum. Or just the URL's to the pictures, so you can insert them yourself.

Let me know, so we can finish the guide
    Valjean likes this.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SkipSkovhugger For This Useful Post:

Accommodation (09-05-2011), fatwomble (10-12-2011), lumpenfolk (11-05-2011), marind (09-14-2011), minty1978 (08-19-2011), missbizzylizzy (11-28-2011), pukington (10-01-2011), quadraxas (08-25-2011), samildanach (09-18-2011), smoky (11-29-2011), spachal (08-19-2011), Theomack (10-03-2011), will765 (08-04-2011)

Thanks
    Very good work!
    Everything is clear and precise. If you do not mind, I'll translate it into Russian for Russian-speaking forum posting on (of course, with reference to the real author and a link to the original text).

Thanks
    docck, I don't mind at all. If anything, just wait a bit and the guide will have pictures aswell.
    As long as credit and a link here is given

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the work! Stickied!

Thanks
    newbe5 - Don't mention it mate, you guys are the ones doing all the real work, so others can enjoy HC

Thanks
    Further to getting into NV Flash recovery mode mentioned above, I've been experimenting ...

I'm not sure what other's experiences are, but the back, back+power, back for 2 seconds each just does not work for me. Here's what I've found with my Vega and Win7 (this assumes correct drivers have been installed beforehand ) ...

1. USB cable connected to PC.
    2. Starting from completely powered off, press and hold the power button - Vega should begin booting - keep holding power button until off again. (PC makes USB connection/disconnection noises during this). Now ready for entering NVFlash mode.
    3. Press and hold Back button and count, 0 ... 1
    4. Whilst still pressing Back hold Power button and count, 0 ... 1 then release Power button only. On release of power button PC makes USB connection noise and were in NVFlash mode - so no need to keep holding the back button after releasing the power button.
    5. If not in NV mode, repeat from 2.

The time waster for me is that if it doesn't work first time it won't work at all until normal power on/power off routine is performed - I've tried and tried and only ever get into NVFlash mode immediately after a power off - hence step 2 above.

I've found I can get into NV mode almost every time with this method - Hopes this helps anyone struggling, like me...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinobe For This Useful Post:

mikejclark (01-14-2012), simmo (12-01-2011)

First Post
    Thanks
    Absolutely fantastic guys, my advent vega has come to life

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinobe View Post
    Further to getting into NV Flash recovery mode mentioned above, I've been experimenting ...

I'm not sure what other's experiences are, but the back, back+power, back for 2 seconds each just does not work for me. Here's what I've found with my Vega and Win7 (this assumes correct drivers have been installed beforehand ) ...

1. USB cable connected to PC.
    2. Starting from completely powered off, press and hold the power button - Vega should begin booting - keep holding power button until off again. (PC makes USB connection/disconnection noises during this). Now ready for entering NVFlash mode.
    3. Press and hold Back button and count, 0 ... 1
    4. Whilst still pressing Back hold Power button and count, 0 ... 1 then release Power button only. On release of power button PC makes USB connection noise and were in NVFlash mode - so no need to keep holding the back button after releasing the power button.
    5. If not in NV mode, repeat from 2.

The time waster for me is that if it doesn't work first time it won't work at all until normal power on/power off routine is performed - I've tried and tried and only ever get into NVFlash mode immediately after a power off - hence step 2 above.

I've found I can get into NV mode almost every time with this method - Hopes this helps anyone struggling, like me...
    Haven't you forgoten to connect it to the charger while flashing? Try again, it will work

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vulpy For This Useful Post:

mikejclark (01-14-2012)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast