Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Link2sd problems

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueStuart View Post
    I've ended up moving my apps to the SD card the traditional way.
    This means I have a constant internal memory, around 80 meg.
    Yeah I have done this too, however would love to make this work. The problem as far as I can see is the file permissions, even when I try to chmod I get the the following error.

$ chmod 777 /system/app
    Unable to chmod /system/app: Read-only file system

I am not sure what else to do. Hopefully a clever person from these forums will point me in the right direction. :-)

Stokesy

Regular
    Thanks
    Just trying to tie up and lose ends in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy View Post
    I have found that the directory system/app is set to read only and can not be set to read/write (in root explorer anyway). So I think this may be the reason that the app file is not moving.

Does anyone know why this permission is set as it is? And is there a way we can remove? @ Cass/ej is this something you have done on purpose?

Stokesy
    This is done on purpose, in order to get the system down to size some parts of /system are compressed using/to squashfs which is a read-only file system. System apps are generally small enough in size so I don't see much use in linking them (and they can't be simply moved to SD card). All the user app stuff is in /data (/data/app etc) of which I'm sure your'e aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy View Post
    I have also moved all of my apps to the SD card and have 194 mb free, so this is 100 odd used. However the issue is that if I had merely linked them and not moved them then I would have all my space free as the app (link2sd) should define a symbolic link (which is tiny in size, in the k's). So then I would have used only about 70mb odd used (which is the total for os and the links) and then the rest would be free space. This way I could add as many apps as I liked and never fill up the internal memory. However if you use links now it seems to leave the app part and only move the dalvik cache and the library files. This then means that space wise you are better off moving to SD card and not linking.

This worked in vegacomb, but seems not too in ics rom. However this is a small price to pay for the latest software, so I am not moaning, but I am right, its not working like it should. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue or knew why this would be like this.

Stokesy
    With the native "Move to sd", would I be right in saying that only the apk/app is moved. Leaving dalvik and lib files? Depending on apps used I suppose in terms of storage space there may not be much of a difference (but there should be a speed increase for those linked to an ext partition), but some apps do have a quite large lib file size (my largest being chrome at about 30MB). Are you sure that it was the app files that weren't getting linked mine seem to have linked fine, but I recall that the lib files unlink when rebooting and I think that it's the relinking that doesn't occur. I've noticed some apps spontaneously generating lib files when thaey didn't have them before, so if anyone is using link2sd it may be worth while once in a while to select all the linked apps and relink everything to see if any space is gained. (I've regained quite a bit even back on Vegacomb).

HyT

Thanks
    I have the same problem on my Viewsonic 10s on ICS Beta 1. I have around 95 apps installed and the lib files themselves leave me with only around 30mb of free internal storage space. In spite of selecting the "Relink Lib files on reboot" in the Settings of Link2sd, the lib files do not relink and remain on the internal storage. One can manually relink each of the apps which then frees up a great deal of space but doing this at each reboot is rather time consuming. Given the limited internal storage space on our Tablets, having link2sd function properly would at a stroke resolve the storage space problems that many of us experience. I find moving the apps to the sd card using other methods still leaves behind a significant amount of data on the internal card which limits the amount of apps that one can have installed at any one time, so a fix for this would be excellent.

Thanks
    No one has any ideas about how this could be fixed?

Thanks
    Hiyas all,
    I can only confirm a lot of these problems, internal memory getting full, duplicate files etc.
    Now i have over 400 apps installed and think to found the border or limit of Link2SD on a Vega/POV tablet. as long as i have less than 400 apps there is no problem on the external partition and internal one.
    Sometimes even if i install link2sd as the first app after flashing and after reinstalling all apps that i want there on the external i run in to the relinking libs very late after most other apps during boot need to set some settings(cpubooster, SDbooster and a few more)at boot and end up with only a few Kbs left on the internal or nothing resulting in the crashing of the services mentioned earlier in this thread. If link2SD libs are loaded sooner during boot it's no problem but then you have still the problem of relinking the libs at boot when they take up all the internal space initially left over.
    The not enough space left msg should then be solved also because it is gone after a good boot in about 10 secs.

I think it's not that a big issue, i just have too many apps installed but test them and compare them in order to see which one is worth the purchase.
    As i did it several times on both my Point of View tablets now with reinstalling everything and using the differrend ext2,3,4 filesystems and differendt partition sizes it happens on all of them.
    Everything done with a class 10 16Gb card and 3 done with a class 4 16Gb card i also found out that the class 10 cards(i have 3 differend ones to play with) are only interesting when used with large files i.e. photos, music, movies etc.
    while the read and writing to database files and small files i got a better score with the Class4 cards. which pulled up the total antutu score with almost 200 points comparing to the class 10 cards.

all cards had 3 partitions
    1st - Fat(the left over space from part 2 and 3)
    2nd Link2SD ext 2/3/4(1024Mb, 2048Mb and 3072Mb) on only one class 4 card i used a ext3fs 4 Gb partition but that really screwed things up
    3rd - 256 active linux swap
    All partitioning was done with ubuntu linux disktools
    Sent from either one of my devices: Yarvik TAB 210(android 2.1),310(Android 2.2),410(Android 2.2), 2* Point of View mobii Tegra2 Android 3.2 OC'ed, Dell Streak 5 8Gb stock Android 2.2.2, Samsung Galaxy S Plus stock Android 2.3.3 or my trustworthy IMac.

Thanks
    OK fellow vega/POV lovers.
    Here is my test result:........

Device:
    POV Mobii tegra II link2sd test 1.2 GHz conservative OC'ed
    Fresh system flashed HoneyIce Chimera edition.
    Kingston 16Gb sdhc card class4, SDbooster cache - 256 or 512 Kb gives the best R/W speed result for me.

Partition map:
    part1, Primair, FAT32, 12.390
    part2, Primair, ext2fs, 3072
    part3, swap, 256(activated in settings/honeyice)

/data - 11 apps - 70% free space on /data, internal
    /data/sdext2 - 540 apps downloaded/installed, 12% free space on sdext2
    No apps what so ever on the SD fat partition, all apps that automatically install there are moved/linked to the /data/sdext2 partition with link2SD.

First installed apps: es file explorer & taskmanager, link2SD, SDmaid, SDbooster, Antutu cpu and benchmark app.(all on internal /data)
    Then removed the asus email and whether app and widgets.(if used move them to the /data/sdext2 partition with link2SD)
    Moved most apps from /data not needed at boot to the /data/sdext2(link2SD) partition.

No real boot problems, low mem space msg is gone after link2SD gets root rights at boot within a few sec.
    Booting takes a long time tho but that's expected with so many apps. When empty it boots in 15-17 secs, full install in 205 secs till lock screen

Additional Tips.
    Open Link2SD after installing 75 to 100 apps or when the low memory msg appears and clean external card, clean cache and dalvik, relink all libs from the 'menu-more'. Then check the internal space and continuo installing the next series of apps. Additionally you can do the whole SDmaid cycle also(clean, clear market history, optimize DB's). This will give you a few Kb more space.
    Widgets do not have problems most of the time being on the link2SD partition. If they do move them back to internal activate them end relink them to the external.

I have not been interested in sdcard speeds during these tests because many cards with different brands/manufacturers and same class have different results and that should be in another thread.

Hope this will help for those ppls who need this info.
    Use the thanks button if this was useful for ya all

Regards and good luck
    Z.
    Sent from either one of my devices: Yarvik TAB 210(android 2.1),310(Android 2.2),410(Android 2.2), 2* Point of View mobii Tegra2 Android 3.2 OC'ed, Dell Streak 5 8Gb stock Android 2.2.2, Samsung Galaxy S Plus stock Android 2.3.3 or my trustworthy IMac.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast