Thread: DIY Fix for faulty touchscreens on Advent Vega and other P10AN01 devices

Thanks

Smile DIY Fix for faulty touchscreens on Advent Vega and other P10AN01 devices

Hi all,

Use this information at your own risk. Please take care when doing this fix as you will be heating your touch-screen up. Any damaged caused by attempting this fix is not my fault. I am posting this info as it has cured my touch-screen fault and will be of use to others but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Back covered onto the task at hand.

This is a fix for the touch-screen of the Advent Vega and other P10AN01 devices with the same Mildex touch-screen.
    The fault in question is caused by the internal heat of the main board (or an external heat source such as a lamp) heating up the touch-screen. It then cools down when not in use. As the touch-screen heats and cools it expands and shrinks very slightly. Because the touch-screen is made up of laminations of glass and plastic (and the metal/conductive contacts) they expand and shrink at different rates. Eventually the laminations and the conductive contacts come apart (very slightly) and loose connection. Sometimes the problem will manifests when its gets hot sometimes when it cools down, its completely random and depend on the individual touch-screen as to when it happens (hot or cold) but the problems are the same thing.

We will be heating up the touch-screen hotter than it would normally ever get and then pressing the contacts back together thus making the touch-screen work again.

The Fix could also be used to fix other touch-screens with the same fault but testing may be required and melted touch-screens are your fault not mine.

So we are going to heat around the edge of the touch-screen (the inside 3cm of the black bit) with a heat gun or hot hair dryer. You donít need to heat it too much, you are looking to get it just hot enough that you can still touch it but its very warm. The chances of melting the touch-screen are very slim but be carful. For test I took a smashed touch-screen and held a cigarette lighter under is the see how long it would take to damage it. It took about 15 to 20 seconds of holding the touch-screen in the hottest part of the flame before the plastic interior laminations started to bubble and melt.
    Bottom line, the heat we are trying to give it will not damage the touch-screen.

I used a High power heat gun, the sort of thing used to strip paint. This is much hotter than a hair dryer but because it is hotter it gets the heat into the screen quickly without heating the internal components of the Vega (LCD ect). Itís probably a good idea to turn off your Vega while you are doing this.
    Keep it about 3-4 inches away from the Vega and keep the heat gun moving. Donít stop in one place and donít hold it to close.
    It only to me 15- 20 seconds with the heat gun to get it hot enough but a hair dryer would take longer. As your heating it with the gun in one hand, use the other hand to test the temperature of the touch-screen. You are trying to get it hot, but not too hot to hold your hand on.
    When you have the touch-screen good and hot you need to use a cloth and your finger to rub/press the front of the touch. You are trying to press the contacts back onto the conductive screen. Work you way around the edge of the touch-screen paying particular attention to the bottom right corner where the ribbon connects.
    After rubbing around the edge you need to lay the Vega on a flat surface (a glass coffee table is perfect), put some weight on it and let it cool down. I used a wooden box and a pot plant for weight and left it for about 10 minutes.
    Now, the moment of truth, fingers crossed.
    Turn on your Vega and your touch screen should be working again. Mine works perfectly, 12 hours and counting so far.

Here is a video demo of how I did it. Itís filmed on my mobile so I only had one hand free but it illustrates how to do it and shows the back of the touch-screen so you can get an idea of how the touch-screen is constructed and better understand what your trying to do.

Advent Vega touchscreen repair - YouTube

Thanks to Vinnie for your input.
    Let me know if this works for you and give thanks if you find this post useful.
    Good luck to all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DivXDemon For This Useful Post:

slybunda (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Hi all, After about 24 hours mine has gone dead in the bottom left corner where the home and back buttons are on honeycomb. Its not completly dead but instead of pressing home it selects shift (if the keboard is on. I am now thinking pressing from the inside will be the answer as this will get more presure onto the touchscreen and pressing it from the outside is not really putting any presure on the ribbon connector. i think the ribbon connection is the main problem, its litterally mm's away from the main board so if the ribbon is getting hot the connection bettween the ribbon and the touchscreen may be coming away. The trouble is that the LCD has a PCB attached that is covering the connector so to get at it the lCD will need to come out. Not too much problem me and anyoe thats replaced the lcd, as we have had the LCD out before but its a little extreme for most people. Some more testing is required I think.
    I will post my findings soon.
    Take it easy,
    Richard

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Neat fix thanks for posting. Second time the charm for fixing it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    Sorry for the delayed reply,
    Well I have snapped the end of the ribbon off my touch-screen while messing about with the touch-screen while it was outside of the case. I tried to save time by doing the repair with the touch-screen outside the case but still connected to the motherboard so I could repeat the heat treatment over and over until it was completely successful. I should have been more careful or just disconnected it in-between heatingís but I didnít and its knackered. I have tried to transplant another ribbon off another broken screen but this didnít work (I didnít think it would work but without any other option I had to try it). I am now stuck to using it on the dock until I can get another touch-screen (when I have more money in the new year)
    Overall the repair (before I tore off the end of the ribbon) was reasonably successful. The touch-screen went from completely random and unusable to 98% perfect. The only bit I didnít get working was a half inch high by inch wide section in the bottom left corner where the home button and back buttons are in honeycomb. If used the right way around the back/home buttons and shift key on the keyboard didnít work. If I used it upside down this solved the problem by moving it to another location. I could have used it like this but think I could have fixed it.
    Que Sera Sera

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the excellent feedback.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Remove Ads