Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vega - Touch screen issues aaaarrrggghh!!!

Thanks

Question Vega - Touch screen issues aaaarrrggghh!!!

Hiya All,

Bought my Vega from Currys through the Ebay outlet two months ago, and just love it, specially with Vegacomb and the latest updates.

My touch screen was a little funny when I first bought it, occasionally it would double tap letters when using the keyboard, or the wrong letter was typed up. Or, when playing Deathworm, sometimes I could not steer the worm right using the on-screen joystick.

After a while it all settled down and the screen started to work great with no problems at all.

Last week, I was on holiday in Mexico, and was using the Vega daily, and the touchscreen went completely tits up. It was unusable.

Got home and re-rom'd, cleared, tryed older roms, and the touch screen has got a little better, but seems to be pretty dead towards the center of the screen, and if it does register in the center of the screen, it registers a double tap or more.

It is usable, but is a right pain, and games are not worth bothering with.

The Touch screen calibration app has little effect, and it doesn't make any difference if charging or not.

I have removed the screen protector I bought, and gave the screen a good clean.

The dilemma is that I have one month of the warranty left, and if I send it back I may get a refund as I don't think there are any exchange units left!

Anyone have any fixes I may be able to try?

Can I buy a new digitiser for it?

Sorry for the poor quality video below, but it shows the dead spot, aslo I cant edit the home screens as I cannot move items as they open rather than get selected....

Last edited by Vinnie; 11-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    It may not be much help but this fault happens on mine from time to time and squeezing the left side of the Vega at the side of the touchscreen fixes the problem but only while Iím squeezing it. I then reboot the Vega and it usually fixes the problem first time.
    Try it next time it happens (it can hurt). Hold the Vega in landscape with two hands and squeeze the left edge of the Vega (not the touchscreen, the black bit at the edge) with your thumb and fore-finger. On mine the fault instantly disappears until I stop squeezing and 9 time out of 10 is gone after reboot.
    I am thinking the problem is caused by how the touchscreen is bonded to the chassis as there is nothing else where I am squeezing other than the battery and LCD.

Thanks
    Hiya DD,

Thanks for the reply, I think I saw elsewhere that you were after a replacement screen, any luck?

After your suggestions, I found that if I hold the screen on the left hand side, and tuck the right hand side in to my thigh, and flex the screen slightly towards me, the screen works (nearly) perfect!!

Obviously the above impossible for general use.

I took the back of and loosened all the screws holding the motherboard, and removed the battery, and this made no difference.

I think the screen and the digitiser maybe laminated together, and there must be a gap in the middle where the bond has come apart, and the contact is only made when I force one on to the other.

I even tryed leaving the tablet on the radiator for half an hour to maybe heat the bond up, then tryed the freezer!!

Looks like I will have to send it back under warranty, and hope I can get another as a replacement...

Thanks
    Could this be a similar issue to my mine??

"I think the screen and the digitiser maybe laminated together"

Calling richardmlea or other Advent Hardware experts - Android @ MoDaCo

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amh181276 View Post
    Could this be a similar issue to my mine??

"I think the screen and the digitiser maybe laminated together"

Calling richardmlea or other Advent Hardware experts - Android @ MoDaCo
    Ahem who do you think divxdemon is ?
    The glass and digitiser are laminated together and not available unless someone is selling one with a damaged lcd panel. Note Divxdemon has been abusing his vega so if you have similarproblems I'd suggest you send it back even if only for a refund.

Thanks
    Ok, so I've had this issue for awhile, and here's what I found out. (When I say left/right/top/bottom, my frame of reference is the Vega held in landscape orientation with the camera on top)

After long(ish, about 8 hours) periods when the tablet is OFF, upon boot I find that roughly the half right part of the touchscreen is unresponsive. That's where the unlock control is, but if I turn the vega upside down, I find I can get it to unlock.

I can use the whole touchscreen if I squeeze tightly the BOTTOM RIGHT part of the face panel (like the OP said, on the black part of the frame, only in his case the left part seemed to do). If I maintain the squeeze for a few minutes (min 1, max 5) the touchscreen eventually starts working without any issues and it does so as long as it isn't turned off again for a long time. Short periods (a few hours) of power off are fine. I don't think I've had the tablet in sleep mode for a very long time, so I don't know if a long sleep would make the problem resurface.

As for the strength of the squeeze applied: if I hold the tablet face up by the bottom right corner, with my index and thumb, the weight of the tablet itself does it.

I've also found out, but I'd need to verify this better, which isn't easy due to the amount of waiting time required, that plugging in the power makes the problem go away faster if not altogether. Also, I don't think I've ever had the tablet off for longer than 10/12 hours, so I would have to see whether the "recovery" from prolonged downtimes works the same.

I've voided my warranty by opening the tablet several times for various reasons, so while I've had it for less than a year, I'd rather take a DIY approach to fixing this problem, if anyone has a suggestion. I tried tightening the screw corresponding to the corner I squeeze, kind of a naive approach, which didn't help. That side of the tables is where most of the circuitry is hosted, so I'd have to remove plenty of stuff to access the screen.

Any suggestion? Suggesting that heat may have to do with it is consistent with the fact that a "cold" boot is what makes the problem appear. I don't know about the bonding being loose, as the screen works perfectly once it has been "restored". I am not sure what happens when squeezing that makes it work. Also when doing so, I don't feel any part of the assembly moving, so I'm not really sure what goes on, there. Perhaps is just the heat developed by pressing? Or we are altering the capacity of the screen temporarily until it's heated up?

One thing I haven't tried is to leave it on after a "cold" boot without squeezing, and see if the screen eventually starts working by itself. I already feel like a bit of a freak for having collected so much information around a hardware glitch...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alleytom View Post
    I already feel like a bit of a freak
    Freak - Only kidding

This is great info!!

I totally agree heat definately seems to be a underlying factor or at least related.

Before I knew about the squeeze fix I would just wait a period or time and mine would start working perfectly again, so I can confirm wait and it works from a cold start. Also what resulted in the fault with mine - heat definately played a part as it didn't do it before it was exposed to the same fate as an essex bird in a tanning saloon.

I have also just tested a cold start squeeze fix instead of the sit and wait approach and I can confirm it also works for me, although I applied a gentle pressure over the full surface of the tablet, but without further cold starts I don't know if this is the best \ quickest fix, or even fully necessary.

Thanks
    My problem started on day one, but after a while it dissapeared.

It then restarted when I was in Mexico in the jungle, where it was hotter and more humid than grey London!!

The Vega while refurbished, may have not been turned on for some time, and with the frequent use it did get better (getting warmer?), till it really went tits up.

I have emailed Currys on ebay for a return, but have not heard anything from them yet.

Will try the boot up holding the right hand side later, thnaks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    I had a problem with my POV's touchscreen, which appeared about 2-3 weeks after I received it. (After about 1 week of using VegaComb 3.2)

It would only register touches on the very right 4-5 cms of the screen.
    Anywhere else I touched, it either didn't recognize it, or sensed a touch on the very right side of the screen, in the same row.
    Touching with multiple fingers in the same spot seemed to make it a bit better, but it was very unpredictable.
    It would gradually get better after I let the battery run down a bit.
    At first, a reboot would solve it, but after a while, reboots didn't solve it either.

I went back to the stock ROM, because I thought that VegaComb's driver was at fault. In the stock rom, the touchscren calibration solved it for a couple of minutes, but then it malfunctioned again.

When I could prove to myself, that the stock ROM also had this issue, I was convinced it was a HW fault, so I sent the device back to the shop. They sent it back somewhere for repairs, but after a bit more than 2 weeks of waiting, they got me a new tablet.

They had 2 yrs guarantee for the device at the shop, so if you have the same, I suggest to send it back.

Thanks
    Seems it is definately hardware related.

Still waiting for a reply from Curry-Ebay, but feel they are only going to offer a refund!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads