Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a Vega or wait for Vega 2?

Thanks

Buy a Vega or wait for Vega 2?

Hi Guys

Just joined the forum yesterday asfter seeing my mates Samsung Galaxy tab. Seen the reviews for the Vega which seems like a nice piece of kit and then read about and saw the videos on Vegacomb 3.2 which looks amazing. I was going to go out and buy one today but my store is out of stock, I read on the forums that there is possibly a new Vega end of Sep.

Now I like the specs of the Vega and apart from GPS its got everything I need ( not that GPS would be a deal breaker). I was just wondering if its worth waiting to see if Vega 2 has 1 gb of ram rather than the Vega's 512. To be fair from what i have seen of Vegacomb 3.2 it doesnt really seem to matter apart from the fact that icecream sandwich maybe better with 1gb ( if someone unofficially ports it ;0) ).

Just wanted to see what people though, to be honest I would only really use it for the odd game, checking mails, surfing, some apps and for my Media center, just though the newer machine would breath a little more life into it.

Cheers guys and look forward to modding and chatting

Thanks
    Nvidia announced that tablets with Kal-El cpu's will be available later this year so you could wait for those as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nvidia is pushing the technology too quick and causing devices that shouldn't be obsolete to be, in my mind tablets shouldn't be treated like cell phones.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies, I agree that a lot of companys update things too quick, to be honest I dont need the tablet, it will only really be a toy for playing the odd game, a bit of surfing and taking with me abroad instead of expensive laptop. I used to have an iphone with mymovies and remote potato for my media center so would like to get similar things for android ( i think my movies or similar is available) so I dont need top notch graphics as i only really play simple games ( although there are some good hd games i dont like using the screen as a joypad). I love what I have seen with Vegacomb and I think that will suffice for my needs and I believe from what I have read that the Vega is no real slouch ( faster than my old Iphone 3GS) so I think I will be happy. I am Buying a samsung Galaxy S2 but something bigger for home and abroad (especially if I can read PDF magazines on it) would be awesome. I think I might treet myself after I have finshed the decking for a job well done lol :0)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofeel View Post
    Nvidia is pushing the technology too quick and causing devices that shouldn't be obsolete to be, in my mind tablets shouldn't be treated like cell phones.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    I wholeheartedly agree with that.
    I think nVidia is suffering with a bad case of "In-Competition-With-AMD/ATI-tis" where we've seen product cycles every 6 months in graphics hardware.
    This is not needed in the tablet field, as developers are just getting to grips on how to develop for them properly.
    Now they're pushing Tegra3 in the face of manufacturers, whilst they've only just made their current product perform as intended from the get-go.

As for the original question.
    Bozzaspad, if you have no real need for a tablet here and now. I think you should wait and see if the Vega2 has a superior screen.
    That's the only real let down of the original Vega, the viewing angles are horrendous.
    Rumours also suggest that the Vega2 will have a 1280x800 screen. So the added screen real estate would be welcome.

Thanks
    The screen is the only poor point on the vega, but it is perfect when you are holding it at the correct angle..

I could drool over the screen quality of the XOOM.. But then your paying 200+ extra for that privilege.

I see that HP are pulling out of the tablet market as well as others.. And best buy I think have asked HP to take back 200,000+ tablets that they can't sell.. So maybe were all in line for some nice cheap HP tabs..

Thanks
    I couldnt help myself

I bought one with a cae and screen protector for 215, you are right, there are much better screens out there but would have had to pay 100-150 more and didnt think it was worth it, have all the software now so going to try flashing to Vegacomb 3.2 v6 str8 out of the box, wish me luck!

Thanks
    Good luck Bozzaspad, you won't regret it, it's a fantastic ROM.

Thanks
    Well Guys

The Vega was bought and flashed to Vegacomb 3.2 v6 str8 out of the box.

It was great, put some games on it, some apps, tried everything I could. All seemed well, fast, no crashes, no hangs nothing. Just an awesome piece of software, so much so that I am going to open a Paypal account to donate.

So it was late last night, playing with the thing (the Vega!), and the screen seemed to lose responsiveness, I was getting tired so turned it off and went back t bed. Had a play this morning and all seemed well for abouy 30 min, then off to folks for dinner, some DIY and had another play. Played some Drage racing type game that was very addictive, again after about an hour pretty much no response from the screen apart from a small part on the left when held in landscape mode ( prob about a 1/4). I rebooted it and still the same, left it turned off for about 30 min ( there were no other apps running apart from google services, my apps and android keyboard) and have started using it again and after another 30 min it seems to be losing response on the bottom right side of the screen again ( in landscape mode) I cant see this being a software issue, if it continues for the next day or so i will return it, shame cause I can live with the screen quality just not the lack of response.

Thanks
    Very sorry to hear that Bozzaspad.
    Could you share which version of VegaComb this happened on?
    Not that I think it's software related, but if it was Build6, you could try upgrading to Build7, just to see if it fixes the problem.
    That way, you would at least save a trip to the place you bought it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads