Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best DPI for Corvus5

Regular
    Thanks

Best DPI for Corvus5

I have been playing around with Corvus5 again.. What are people's thoughts on DPI??

160 is the default.. 120 is HoneyIce.. But using 120 I just can't get ADW to size the icons correctly.. They look too small on the home screen.

screen_20120130_1354_2.jpg

And the font never fits..

Regular
    Thanks
    Hi *Flash*

Well I have stuck to 160 dpi on my corvus5 and then used Golaunchers settings to change the icon size and number of columns and rows and I am fairly happy with what I have got though the titles on some apps are cut off if the name is to long but I am not to bothered about that.
    Can you not do the same in ADW? I know in the paid version there are options to change font and icon size plus there is a density hack for icons to make them look bigger but I don't know if these are available in the free version of ADW if that is the one you are using.

For me the bit I least like is the size of some of the 1x1 widgets, these are to large for my taste but I have found I have to just live with them like that because I cannot make them smaller without ruining the icons

Regular
    Thanks
    Exactly the same with ADW.. I have the paid version...

Drop the DPI.. Widgets look better, icons don't.. Or leave it and have large widgets.. They joy of 2.2 on a tab I guess.

Regular
    Thanks
    When I use 120dpi for the Corvus ROM the Icons and their text often frustrates me. I have the bought version of ADW EX launcher and I do try and adjust the settings for new icons to various sizes, along with the text. This seems to give some improvement but it is not perfect so I tend to just accept that it is one of those hobnomolies of using the Corvus ROM, which is otherwise still and excellent ROM to use.

Just remembered I think that I did have some better success with the icons when I used the VTL launcher, IIRC.
    Last edited by Dibbles; 01-30-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Regular
    Thanks
    VTL.. Never heard of it.. Off to find out

Regular
    Thanks

Regular
    Thanks
    screen_20120202_0922.jpg

Loving VTL.. Thanks

Ended up dropping my DPI back to 150.. Sweet spot between giving more space, looking good etc. But anything from 120 to 160 is great with VTL, the icons work like a charm.

Corvus5. Clocked at 1.5ghz, running like the wind! Tablet is stable. And to the untrained eye you would never know it was a 2.2 rom

Regular
    Thanks
    Glad that you like the VTL launcher as it is indeed a very capable one. I understand about the DPI setting and I did find, like you, that launcher is the most accommodating of the changes in the icons etc.

To be frank, apart from the very odd app, it would not matter if you are running a Froyo ROM or the latest ICS - in terms of functionality etc. You could even make a point, due to the limited hardware of the Vega, why it would be worthy perusing any development of the Corvus ROM as it works so well.

Your screenshot above looks great

Regular
    Thanks
    My only real gripe is with Widgets.. I have HD widgets and it won't let me use the tablet version, it's just not listed. Hence you see the more 'phone' style clock.

For some reason Swiftkey actually sizes the keyboard better than in Honeycomb, it gives a little more screen space when typing.

I also firmly believe the screen is better, I do a lot less double taps to select things. Closing tabs for example, in HoneyComb I could never click the cross, but I never miss now!

Regular
    Thanks
    The only two apps that bother me which look very different whilst running with the Corvus ROM, rather than the HC, are IMDB and Youtube.

Both those can do the same thing, of course, it is just how they look when they are opened under a HC ROM, which seems to recognise that they are for a tablet, rather than under a Froyo ROM they seem to adopt more of a phone type layout. As you noted with the HD widgets some of them are just less pleasing in how they look but are still functional.

However the two points above are purely aesthetics and eye candy, but I can be a bit if a sucker for it.!

There is a colouring app which I can no longer use as it is for HC 3.x only and my granddaughter likes to use it. However my wife will not entertain a HC ROM on her Vega as she then can't play Plants V's Zombies..!

So it is a bit of a mixed baggage really but I have not doubt that the Corvus ROM, with SP1 and the HC theme, still has a very important role to play in being an immensely usable ROM for the Vega.

I do tend to flip between the HI ROM, until the latest RC releases caused too many issues, and the good old Corvus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads