Thread: How to Send Your Tablet/Dock to Asus for Repair

Thanks

Lightbulb How to Send Your Tablet/Dock to Asus for Repair

Sending your precious Transformer tablet in for repair can be a daunting task. Therefore, I have decided to create a How To with extra info on how to go about getting your precious repaired. This information can also be applied to having the dock repaired.

1. Gather information
    Asus is going to ask you a lot of questions regarding yourself and your tablet so having the information in front of you will ease the process. You are going to need contact information, serial numbers, when and where the tablet was purchased, and detailed information regarding what is wrong with the tablet. The contact information will include email, phone number, and address. Serial numbers are located on little stickers on the device, that technically shouldn't be taken off, and on the box the tablet came in. Make a list of what is wrong with the tablet and take some pictures or a video of the issue in case they ask you to send proof. If your tablet is rooted, you will need to unroot before taking any pictures or video.

2. Contact Asus
    Have a pen and some paper ready in order to write down any info given to you (like your RMA number). Don't plan to do this on a short schedule. This whole process can take over half an hour.
    Asus tablet service website lists 3 ways to get in touch with them. Via email, via live chat, and via phone.
    ASUS Service for North America
    From personal experience, email is slow and they can take days to get back to you. A phone call however, will eventually get you to a live person who will begin your RMA process. Phone support is also available 24/7. Prepare to be on hold a while and listen to cheesy advertisements and even worse music. I have no experience with live chat.
    Once connected an Asus representative will ask you if you already have an RMA or claim, in which case you will need to tell them that you need to start an RMA process for your tablet. Take your time with the representative and try not to loose your temper if you have to repeat things a few times.

3. Wait for your email
    It shouldn't take long once your call has ended to receive your service email. In it will include your service number, RMA number, instructions on how to ship your product to Asus, and (easily overlooked) a .pdf attachment of the RMA checklist that is to be included with your tablet. Read over the instructions carefully. Print off the RMA checklist and fill it out.

4. Prepare your tablet
    Back up any data you want to keep to the microSDHC or your computer. Titanium Backup Pro does a great job at backing up your applications, their data, and your system data. You will still need to move that data off the tablet. Make sure to UNROOT your tablet (instructions can be found in the Asus Transformer NVFlash Stock 3.1 & Stock 3.2 Recovery Roms (Unbricking Tools) thread) if you are not stock. As a precaution of security each time I sent my tablet in I also wiped the user data. This can be done in settings or via volume - & power.
    If you haven't done so already, take pictures of all 6 sides of your tablet in a powered off state and one of it in a powered on state (7 pictures total). These are just in case pictures in order to show what condition the tablet was in before you sent it off to Asus.

5. Packing your tablet
    Find a small but sturdy box that you don't mind seeing ever again. Do not use the box your tablet came in (it has the serial number on it for future reference). Get some foam, bubble wrap, air pillows, etc that you can use to protect you tablet while in transit. Make sure your tablet is protected on ALL sides. If you can close the box, shake it and hear/feel a lot of movement, your tablet needs more protection.
    Before you tape your box up don't forget to include the RMA checklist. After you've taped up your box, make sure to write the RMA shipping address (from the service email) on the box, and include the RMA number. Go ahead and write fragile all over the box too if you're paranoid.

6. Shipping
    USPS tends to have the cheapest shipping available. I do suggest adding some kind of tracking, such as signature confirmation, to the shipping. If you are paranoid you could add insurance, but that tends to cost almost as much as the shipping does. Pay for shipping, let go of your precious, and let the mail man/woman/person do their job.

7. Receiving your email
    Once your repair is finished and shipped Asus will email you to let you know and will include a tracking number in their email to you. Rejoice and wait patiently.

8. Receive your tablet
    You finally receive your tablet. Before you go about recovering your applications and preferences you need to give your tablet a once over. I suggest using the Is my Transformer Defective Checklist FAQ and then check to see if your specific issues were addressed.

9. Rejoice
    Your precious tablet is back and your hands, better than when it left you.

If I've missed something let me know.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to papb0007 For This Useful Post:

dwarf (10-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for this posting.
    My transformer is fine, but the charging block has recently failed.
    I sent and email almost a week ago now...so much for their 48 hour response time.
    I've searched their product listings and haven't been able to find the AC adapter even listed anywhere as an available part.
    I'll try the phone number this evening when I get home, where all the information lives and see if I get any better joy there.
    I guess I could also check with NewEgg to see if they sell the adapter as a separate item...
    Thanks again for your list of suggestions it is very nice and was reasonably helpful.

Thanks
    Asus does have an estore and the AC adapter is available though overpriced.
    http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?...ct_list&c=3029

5. The Following User Says Thank You to papb0007 For This Useful Post:

dwarf (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the link!
    I DID search their estore and used AC adapter for the keywords and TF101 for the device and the search came up empty!!!!
    I really appreciate your follow through. I ordered 2 of them so I will have a spare.
    I think it is the really great deficiency of this device that it can't be charged from any USB outlet. Every other device I own, with the exception of the Adam tablet can be charged via USB.
    *****MORE STANDARDS***** ;-)
    Luck,

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey dwarf how's the website going?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofeel View Post
    Hey dwarf how's the website going?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Doing The Tablet Post weekly got to be too much work, so I've dropped to a monthly posting. Last posting was last weekend. I'm currently in withdrawal without my transformer. My Adam will not update apps or do anything with accounts without throwing a network error, please try again error. Looks like I'll get to try the new support ticketing system... What's a DROID BIONIC?
    Luck,

Thanks
    Additional information to anyone who needs repair service. If you are entitled to free shipping for your RMA, make sure the representative you are on the phone with sends you the shipping email before you hang up.

I have had to send my tablet back twice on Asus' dime but both time I had to call back to get them to send the email. It does not take them very long to send the shipping email so don't believe them during the first call if they say it could take 5-10 minutes. Each second call had the email in my inbox before the end of the call.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    If you found my post helpful click the "Thanks" button.

Konomi Kirby: (^'o'^) (^'o'^) (v'o'v) (v'o'v) <( 'o'<) (> 'o')> <( 'o'<) (> 'o')> B A Select Start