Thread: Toshiba Thrive (All things Hacking Ramp-up)

Thanks

Cool Toshiba Thrive (All things Hacking Ramp-up)

Greetings Thrive Family!

A little about myself:

I'm pretty familiar with the world of rooting/hacking/exploiting devices on multiple platforms, such as:

1. - Android (Rooting/Hacking/Custom Recovery, Kernals, Nandroids, Custom ROMs, etc.)

2. - Palm/HP WebOS (Developer Mode/WOSQI/PreWare/Custom Kernals/Patching/Themes, etc.)

3. - Blackberry (BBSAK/Vendor-Independent Custom OS/CODs/Themes, etc.)

4. - iPhone Jail-breaking (tethered/untethered) cydia apps, installous, etc.)

5. - HomeBrew/Exploiting of non-phone devices (Nintendo WII, Nintendo DS/I, Sony PSP), hell, even uncapping Motorola Surfboard Modems back in the day!

That all said, I'm pretty familiar with the whole scene. So although I'm no expert...I'm also not a complete n00b.

...except for Tablets!!! I'm still pretty much a n00b when it comes to tablets. I did assist a friend of mine in rooting here Viewsonic G-Tab a few months ago, but that's about it.

After tons of reading/researching I bought my first tablet 2 days ago...the Toshiba Thrive!!

With that said, I have all of the common questions that many first-timers do on the Toshiba Thrive, with the added experience that I can draw from.

So that said, can someone give a 'quick n' dirty' breakdown or summary on where the Toshiba Thrive is in terms of rooting/hacking/exploits? Such points would include:

1. - Rooting; Are there multiple utilities out there, or is it all done through ADB?

2. - Custom Recovery: How many types of Custom Recovery choices are there for the Toshiba Thrive? My personal favorite is Xionia Clockwork.

3. - Custom ROMs: Are there tons of choices or only a few to choose from? Which ones are recommended? Which ones should I avoid?

4. - OTA Updates/Firmware Updates: As of right now, I have not even unboxed my Toshiba Thrive, because I wanted to make sure that I knew what I needed to before hand, to avoid risking any potential updates that could nuke my ability to root. So that said, is there a set of update versions that are more compatible than others? Should I update the Thrive right away or should I avoid OTA updates like the plague? Is there an OTA update that could nuke my ability to root or load Custom ROMs?

5. - Is Android ICS available for the Toshiba Thrive yet?

6. - What about the wonderful world of OverClocking?

7. - Any other helpful tips that will get me started on the right track??

Thank you all!!!

BiggJoe

Thanks
    1. There are sort of utilities... but they all use adb && fastboot to root the device.

2. The only one I've seen is Clockwork Mod.

3. Dale's pretty much the only one who makes roms; he has a subsection in the thrive forums here.

4. Don't update. One of the recent updates disabled fastboot, thus disabling the ability to root the device. You can always downgrade since they left it open to be downgraded but might as well just update to a root rom.

5. Nope, the kernel source was released for the thrive but from what I understand, the non GPL components (hardware drivers exclusive to the thrive?) do not have available source. So making the drivers play nice without having their source to change is the hold up right now. (I think)

6. I think it would be possible to mod the kernel source to allow overclocking but no one has done it yet that I'm aware of.

7. Talk to Dale if you're really interested? http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/members/dalepl.html

Thanks
    Thank you Slynk!

Remove Ads