How To Install Clockwork Mod on Your Toshiba Thrive via Fastboot
General concept: You are going to rewrite the recovery partition of your thrive's hard drive with a clock work mod image.
Android SDK ADB and Fastboot
Download the CW Recovery Image
- Boot Thrive into Fastboot
- Flash clockwork recovery image
- Reboot Thrive into Clockwork
- Run a backup!
These next steps assumes you have fastboot working from your computer, and the thrive is already plugged in via a USB cable.
Fastboot is not ADB, and the term is used for both the fastboot boot on the thrive and the fastboot application in the Android SDK.
This guide assumes you are using Windows 7 (64 bit) to perform fastboot flashing, as this was the operating system the writer used. Fastboot is located in the android SDK under the tools folder, please make sure you have fastboot installed onto your computer before attempting this guide.
1) Download Clockwork Recovery Image from this forum, save it to your fastboot folder. Generally: ~\android-sdk-windows\tools\
2) Boot the toshiba thrive into fastboot:
-With the power off, hold the Vol Up + Power, till the thrive turns on.
-You should be greeted by three icons, A USB icon, a Package Icon, and the Andy Icon.
-Using the vol up and vol dn buttons you can highlight an icon, and use power to select it.
-Choose the USB Icon, as this is the icon to boot into fastboot.
3) Test fastboot communication by opening your command prompt to the fastboot folder and typing
For the thrive this should return:Code:fastboot devices
If your fastboot does not return this, please go to the FAQ or Help section (to be put up later)Code:? fastboot
4) You are now ready to flash the recovery image. In that same command console flash the recoevry partition with the recovery image you downloaded:
This is assuming the clockwork recovery image is named "CW-Recovery.img"
Fastboot should now have returned two "[OKAY]" messages. If you see "FAILED" please go to the FAQ or Help section.Code:fastboot flash recovery CW-Recovery.img
5) Now reboot the thrive, by typing, but be ready to hold down the Vol Up button on boot:
6) Now you're back to the three icons. Choose the middle "package" icon to boot into the Recovery Partition.Code:fastboot reboot
You should see Clockwork Mod Recovery Version: 4.x.x.x.
If you see blue text, you are in the stock recovery, please go to the FAQ or Help Section.
7) Make sure you have at least a 2gb sd card installed, and perform a backup.
-Highlight "Backup and Restore", and select it by pressing power.
-Highlight "backup" and select it.
-Backup should run onto the SD card.
If it shows a failed backup, please see the FAQ or Help section.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed clockwork, and ran your first backup. You are now ready to Install a custom restore image.
Nothing here yet, please move along.
Note to all: This will prevent you from doing system updates, as Toshiba needs their own recovery image to be working for their update scripts to run. So if you want the latest and greatest that Toshiba is offering, you will need to reflash the stock recovery image. I will post another thread for links to the stock image files. This will take up most of my day today to get these done, so bare with me. Since the system update I heard was to be released today (8-1-11) I am trying to get the stock image files up as soon as I can, and some kind of instructions.