Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Clockwork Mod, Fastboot Method

Thanks

Exclamation How To: Install Clockwork Mod, Fastboot Method

How To Install Clockwork Mod on Your Toshiba Thrive via Fastboot

General concept: You are going to rewrite the recovery partition of your thrive's hard drive with a clock work mod image.

Files Needed:
    Android SDK ADB and Fastboot
    Download the CW Recovery Image

Outline:
    • Boot Thrive into Fastboot
    • Flash clockwork recovery image
    • Reboot Thrive into Clockwork
    • Run a backup!

Procedure:
    These next steps assumes you have fastboot working from your computer, and the thrive is already plugged in via a USB cable.
    Fastboot is not ADB, and the term is used for both the fastboot boot on the thrive and the fastboot application in the Android SDK.
    This guide assumes you are using Windows 7 (64 bit) to perform fastboot flashing, as this was the operating system the writer used. Fastboot is located in the android SDK under the tools folder, please make sure you have fastboot installed onto your computer before attempting this guide.

1) Download Clockwork Recovery Image from this forum, save it to your fastboot folder. Generally: ~\android-sdk-windows\tools\

2) Boot the toshiba thrive into fastboot:
    -With the power off, hold the Vol Up + Power, till the thrive turns on.
    -You should be greeted by three icons, A USB icon, a Package Icon, and the Andy Icon.
    -Using the vol up and vol dn buttons you can highlight an icon, and use power to select it.
    -Choose the USB Icon, as this is the icon to boot into fastboot.

3) Test fastboot communication by opening your command prompt to the fastboot folder and typing
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    For the thrive this should return:
    Code:
    ?       fastboot
    If your fastboot does not return this, please go to the FAQ or Help section (to be put up later)

4) You are now ready to flash the recovery image. In that same command console flash the recoevry partition with the recovery image you downloaded:
    This is assuming the clockwork recovery image is named "CW-Recovery.img"
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery CW-Recovery.img
    Fastboot should now have returned two "[OKAY]" messages. If you see "FAILED" please go to the FAQ or Help section.

5) Now reboot the thrive, by typing, but be ready to hold down the Vol Up button on boot:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    6) Now you're back to the three icons. Choose the middle "package" icon to boot into the Recovery Partition.
    You should see Clockwork Mod Recovery Version: 4.x.x.x.
    If you see blue text, you are in the stock recovery, please go to the FAQ or Help Section.

7) Make sure you have at least a 2gb sd card installed, and perform a backup.
    -Highlight "Backup and Restore", and select it by pressing power.
    -Highlight "backup" and select it.
    -Backup should run onto the SD card.
    If it shows a failed backup, please see the FAQ or Help section.

Congratulations, you have successfully installed clockwork, and ran your first backup. You are now ready to Install a custom restore image.

FAQ:
    Nothing here yet, please move along.

Note to all: This will prevent you from doing system updates, as Toshiba needs their own recovery image to be working for their update scripts to run. So if you want the latest and greatest that Toshiba is offering, you will need to reflash the stock recovery image. I will post another thread for links to the stock image files. This will take up most of my day today to get these done, so bare with me. Since the system update I heard was to be released today (8-1-11) I am trying to get the stock image files up as soon as I can, and some kind of instructions.
    Last edited by austeregrim; 08-01-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    RH
    Click here to donate!
    I've worked with DJ_Steve to root the Toshiba Thrive. I hack devices. Donate to help me keep hacking.
    G+

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Needs links?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    My concept was this was a general how to... Links to Clockwork mod different version's can be separate threads?
    RH
    Click here to donate!
    I've worked with DJ_Steve to root the Toshiba Thrive. I hack devices. Donate to help me keep hacking.
    G+

Thanks
    Links should be in the same thread as the instructions. Even if you are linking to other threads.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

Thanks
    I'll keep that in mind, I just don't have the time to stay on top of new links. Etc. But I'll add when possible.
    RH
    Click here to donate!
    G+

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by austeregrim View Post
    I'll keep that in mind, I just don't have the time to stay on top of new links. Etc. But I'll add when possible.
    Thanks for the great post... If you can provide a way to recovery it will aid me in the video tutorial that I am going to put together for our team. Just bought a thrive, camera, and tripod for the video.

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast