Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet : WOWWWWW

Regular
    Thanks

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet : WOWWWWW

I think Lenovo Thinkpad seems to have the goodies of all popular tablets.

IPS Screen : Asus Transformer was a major hit compared to other just because of this and dock keyboard - Lenovo has it to..
    Acer Iconia Tab/Toshibha Thrive : All port options available. - Lenovo has it to..

Plus I love my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop (too strong to break in) so hopefully it will have the same build quality.

Plus Plus : 25+ Apps on Thinkpad and 40+ Apps on Ideapad pre-packaged. Cisoc VPN connectivity (business friendly)

Lenovo App store curates the apps from Android market that just work on it, so can be a single to place to start searching for compatible apps.

And you see the Pen option, you can slide it into the tablet itself

It seems to be a complete one with all the goodies. But I need to sell my Adam first to get this tablet

I thought going for Acer Iconia or Thrive but when compared to this I don't see anything I need to compromise on here.. (Battery replaceable is not a major concern for me as by the time the battery gives up the tablet will almost obsolete ..)

Details:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/thinkpad/ (Thinkpad)
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/ideapad/ (Ideapad)

Why I would not go for this:
    1. Prefer to wait for a Tegra3 or OMAP 5 as Tegra 2 is everywhere and Tegra 3 would come soon this Q3/Q4.
    2. Wait for reviews and weight as it is packed loaded with everything..
    3. Prefer a price of $400 but willing for Lenovo's quality if reviews come out good..

What are your thoughts...

Regular
    Thanks
    Last edited by rajendra; 08-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    rajendra
    I went for it and purchased a Lenovo Tablet. I have a Notion Ink Adam (QI, 3G and Adamcomb 0.3) and am just not seeing it for every day use. It has become more of my development machine for testing programs as I learn Android programming. I have been using Thinkpads for years and my wife is finding it very difficult to upgrade form her Thinkpad X61 tablet. IBM/Lenovo have always had the business user in their sights and their hardware and support has been consistent.

My Lenovo tablet is slated to ship on the 16th of this month, and I think I am more eagerly awaiting this tablet than I was the Adam. I went with the startup company because I thought they had a great foundation of a product/idea and I wanted to support that. They started with good communication, but it seems like Rohan and NI fall off the face of the earth (months between posts on Conclave? What is happening with Notion Ink?). Although the work that TR is doing is great and is VERY VERY appreciated, why hasn't NI assisted in getting the camera working in AC? These are the things that are making me question NI and their future.

I am an I.T. Network Engineer and travel frequently. Looking to stop carrying 3 laptops, 2 phones a and 2 tablets (iPad and Adam) with all the accessories, the Lenovo with the Keyboard Folio and the pen seem like I will finally be able to do this. In a feature comparison to the Adam, the only thing it is missing is the QI screen, but I am finding personally that I rarely use it.

I have virtualized all of my desktops that I need to access while on the road (non virtualized machines have Wyse PocketCloud or TeamViewer installed for remote access), and it will be interesting to see what issues I will come across on my next trip with only a tablet in hand (I'll feel naked not lugging around a 40lb backpack)

There are only 2 things that I see as an issue for me so far; one is the lack of USB-Serial support (which I just found a driver that works with Android 3.1) for connecting to and programming network equipment and the other is the lack of SSL VPN libraries in Android (for Juniper SSL VPN support which Apple has). The SSL VPN is a big issue that may cause my company to go strictly in the Apple direction. For now, I am reluctantly using a standard VPN connection.

I'll try and post something after I have had it for a few days and let you know what I think ...

As far as your points...
    1. Being in the computer industry since ... (let's just say, the mid 80's) ... if you wait for the next big thing, or that next processor, you'll be waiting forever because as soon as the Tegra 3 comes out, the 4 will be 'just around the corner'. IMHO if you need it, get it.
    2. For me, not an issue, but I expect it to be a bit heavier because I will be toting it around with the keyboard folio anyway (still less than a loaded backpack)
    3. I don't think $499 is too pricey, but having to pay extra for the pen, and all the accessories - I really had to think about investing in this one.

4. The last thing is the lack of 3G connectivity on the Thinkpad Tablet. It will be out in a month or two, but unsure what the price difference is and what carriers they will support. I do use AT&T with my adam, but have found that I don't like having to pay for only one device to have access. I am going with the Sprint Overdrive with 4G and unlimited internet. If I ever need it for other devices, it's available.

Anyone else look at this tablet? Order it? Have your hands on one yet?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tlauts For This Useful Post:

Vector66 (09-06-2011)

Regular
    Thanks
    @tlauts, can you review the tablet once you receive it?
    LCD/Wifi - Adam (PO2 - Mar'16th Delivery).
    On Sale @199 - Can ship with in US through USPS Flatbox standard for free. If around Philly (+/- 100 miles), can hand deliver

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rajendra For This Useful Post:

twospirits (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    Wow the thinkpad tablet looks like a really nice tablet. I mean it has everything AND out of the box pen to work with it. These tablets are getting so nice.

One question though, why would a company invest in two different tablets that are so similar? I mean the idea pad and thinkpad...I know one is business oriented and one is more mainstream. Doesnt make to much sense though.
    Mike
    Notion Ink LCD WiFi/3G adam - For Sale if interested

Please help me stay married, Novo 7 Super IPS Screen (Purchase for review)

Thanks
    Wow it even has pressure sensitivity!

rajendra and twospirits like this.
    Mike

Thanks
    @rajendra - absolutely. I'll try and get something together. I am going on a business trip and am hoping that the ground shipping I chose will get it to me in time (scheduled to ship on 16th and I am leaving on the 23rd).

@vector - definitely a Business -vs- consumer choice between the two.

@both - are we all in PA? ... lol

Thanks
    That is funny about PA...

I dont understand the whole business vs consumer haha I mean I am a business professional/nerd gamer artist haha and still would prefer the one with the pen, looks so convenient and even pressure sensitive! I am stoked how things are coming along.
    Mike

Thanks
    @Vector66 - Do you do any drawing on any tablets now? Wondering what software you have tried. If there's something you'd like to see how the pen works on the Lenovo, I may be able to doodle a few things. I primarily use Fireworks and Illustrator on the desktop, but haven't looked too much at what works on Android.

I say this is a "business" tablet because of the add-on services that you can find on this one as opposed to the IdeaPad. Corporate imaging, encryption, device management, security and asset tracking, Citrix for remote desktop, etc. Maybe it should be classified more a pro-sumer than a business tablet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tlauts For This Useful Post:

Vector66 (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    Ahh I see more software options and i want this!!! I am a software engineer and would love this haha for the "Business" options.

I use Autodesk sketch program it works quite well. Especially with it being pressure sensitive im stoked. I have a 21inch Wacom Cintique now I draw on with photoshop and illustrator. The video I posted on here shows the app.

Thanks
    Mike

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads