Rooting the Iconia Tab A500 is a fairly straight forward adventure. Please follow the steps below and you should have no issues.

1. Download GingerBreak version 1.20. Link: GingerBreak 1.20
2. Install the apk file.
3. Rotate your device to portrait mode and then lock in position with the rotation lock (little button next to the volume rocker).
4. Make sure that USB debugging is turned on. Look in Settings/Applications/Development and make sure that USB debugging has a check mark.
5. Insert a micro sdcard in to the slot.
6. Run GingerBreak and then tap on Root device. Super User will be installed and your device rooted.
7. Enjoy your freshly rooted Acer tablet.

Thanks go to:
ChainFire for the GingerBreak APK
monki-magic for modifying it to work on the Acer

If you have upgraded to the 3.1 version there is a new program to use to root the A500. This one comes to us from sc2k and is called Iconia Root.

1. Download Iconia Root. Link: Iconia Root Make sure that you get version 1.3.
2. Install the apk file on your device.
3. Run Iconia Root and choose "Root".
4. Superuser will be installed and Iconia Root will ask for SuperUser permission.
5. Grant SuperUser permission and you will get a message that it has been successful.
6. Enjoy your rooted Honeycomb 3.1 A500.

If your tablet comes with 3.2 give these instructions a try (I have not done this myself so I can't verify how well it works).

From timmydean at XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1307539

Ok, after messing around with 3.2 I decided to fix the rooting issues without downgrading. The problem with downgrading is it requires a SDCard and requires you to install a couple of programs and then to install an update.zip from the sdcard. I could not get half my ACER's to read and mount a sdcard, and some ACER's I have located in a remote office and trying to walk someone through the process was too painful. I tweaked the the downgrade tool's images to install 3.2 with root instead of downgrading it and jumping through hoops. All I did to the stock image is to copy the ash shell over to /system/xbin/su and set the sticky bit. Everything else is stock.

Here's the steps:
1. Make sure your ACER has a fully charged battery or is plugged into a power source.

2. Unzip the upgrade-To-3.2 to your desktop.

3. Install the ADB device driver and get your Windows computer connecting and adb.exe working for your ACER Tablet. The drivers are located in the usbpcdriver folder. Just run the setup program to install the windows drivers.

4. Turn on USB debugging on your tablet Settings>Applications>USB debugging

5. Run test.cmd to see if you have the drivers installed properly. If not then repeat steps 1-4.
a. The test.cmd should show you your serial number, you should see something like the following:

List of devices attached
428000744a094d7 device <<This is your device serial number you will need it.

6. Take your device serial number and add 0x0 to it. In our example 428000744a094d7 is now 0x0428000744a094d7.

7. Open up CPUID.txt and save 0x0428000744a094d7 in the file.
a. Save 0x0 + your serial number to the file

8. Now run DotNetDetecter.exe

9. Enter your device serial number when asked to enter your CPU ID drop the first two letters (0x). So in our example the CPUID.txt file contains 0x0428000744a094d7. We enter 0428000744a094d7

10. You will see the flash starting:
a. The tablet should say “Entering Acer Download Mode”

11. Once the status bar shows Green DO NOT interrupt it. If the status bar DOES not start changing then after 5 minutes reboot your Windows computer and Tablet and start the process over again.

12. You should see the words P A S S on your tablet

13. You will see Secure boot: image LNX checksum failed! on the tablet.

14. Power off the tablet

15. Now hold down the volume DOWN (-) and then hold in the power button at the same time to boot the tablet in recovery mode. You should see ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.3 start. THE (-) is the left side of the volume control when holding the tablet in landscape mode.

16. Use the Volume button to move and highlight the ‘Advance’ menu item and press the power button to select it.

17. On the Advanced and Debugging menu, now highlight ‘Fix A500 Boot/Recovery Checksums’ menu and press the power button to select it.
a. You should see the tablet run itsmagic and get the Ok message.

18. Select ++Go Back ++

19. Select Reboot system

20. You should now have 3.2 with a SU shell installed

Needed files: http://downloads.tabletroms.com/blaz...rade-To-3.2.7z