Thread: SD storage issues

Thanks

Question SD storage issues

After installing G.Play on the 7L via a script, I now have Play, but I'm unable to use any SD storage: every time I insert an SD card, a notification says the SD card is now safe to eject. Going into Settings->Storage always crashes and closes the settings instantly, usually with a quick flash of a message that "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped", although once I saw instead a message about android.process.media. I've seen a few posts about that, which recommend clearing data and cache for Media Storage, and sometimes a few other apps, but I've tried that. I've even tried going into recovery, wiping the data and cache, and restoring factory. But that doesn't seem to actually reset everything, as some installed apps, and the error, persist after a wipe.

I'm able to connect via adb, but I don't see anything obviously wrong and don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deesto View Post
    After installing G.Play on the 7L via a script, I now have Play, but I'm unable to use any SD storage: every time I insert an SD card, a notification says the SD card is now safe to eject. Going into Settings->Storage always crashes and closes the settings instantly, usually with a quick flash of a message that "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped", although once I saw instead a message about android.process.media. I've seen a few posts about that, which recommend clearing data and cache for Media Storage, and sometimes a few other apps, but I've tried that. I've even tried going into recovery, wiping the data and cache, and restoring factory. But that doesn't seem to actually reset everything, as some installed apps, and the error, persist after a wipe.

I'm able to connect via adb, but I don't see anything obviously wrong and don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
    It sounds like you used a script intended for another tablet. Unfortunately a wipe won;t do it because the play apps are installed a system apps, so they are not removed. You could look at the script and try removing the files it installed using adb.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Rooted
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    Sero 7 Pro Rabid ROM Beta
    LePan TC1020 Rooted
    LePan TC802A Rooted - Deodexed

Thanks
    Hi Rabid1,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    It sounds like you used a script intended for another tablet. Unfortunately a wipe won;t do it because the play apps are installed a system apps, so they are not removed. You could look at the script and try removing the files it installed using adb.
    That's correct: unfortunately, I had found that script posted elsewhere before finding this forum, and ran it after reading that other 7L users had success with it. I don't see any complaints about issues like this one, though, so I wonder what the difference was.

I can go through the scripts and remove apps as you've suggested; however, I doubt that will help, as I see the script has modified system files, including files in /system/{framework,lib,etc/permissions,build.prop}, which I assumed would be fixed by a factory restore. The files I'm most concerned about are:
    • /system/build.prop
    • /system/framework/com.google.android.media.effects.jar
    • /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.media.effects.xml

Without backups of the originals, I'm not sure what these are supposed to look like. And aside from the apk files, I'm not sure which of the files installed by the script were replacements of stock files.

I am able to catch the stack trace from the error via adb when it happens, but I don't want to just dump it here and don't see a way to attach a file. The error is related to StorageManagement.java and StatFS.
    Last edited by deesto; 02-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    I made a thread that had all that was required to fix your problem.. right now I can't seem to find it on the forums. It's here, just can't find it. worst case scenario I could email you the file

here you go

[FIXED] sdcard/extsd snafu while installing improper GAPPs script SSSUUUCCCEEESSS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForSquirel For This Useful Post:

deesto (02-13-2013), Macktion (02-13-2013)

Thanks
    Awesome. Thank you! Confirmed: worked on all 4 of our 7L units. What made you think the problem was the framework package, and how does using a 4.0.3 package fix the problem in 4.0.4?

Thanks
    I had done the GAPPS script to my kids tablets and was devastated when I realized what I had done. I simply traced it down to the culprit and low and behold it fixed it. I was a common problem that a lot of people had done, using the incorrect version.

I like android for a host of reasons but the fact that it is sooooo constantly changing creates issues as well as the overall lack of standardization among devices. That's why works for one device may not work for another.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ForSquirel For This Useful Post:

deesto (02-20-2013)

Remove Ads