Thread: Cannot back up my playbook

Regular
    Thanks

Cannot back up my playbook

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me. I have a Blackberry Playbook 16gb. Everything works fine insofar as I can install apps, update the device with the latest firmware, run apps, check emails, etc. However, I cannot get it to back up no matter what I do with it. I have tried backing up using my Windows 7 netbook 16 bit, my partner's laptop Windows 7 32 bit; but it will not back up to either computer. I get an error saying "Loading of backup content failed". If I proceed with the backup, I get "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

I have tried every combination I can think of, including uninstalling and reinstalling all the Blackberry/RIM software, uninstalling and reinstalling the Blackberry/RIM drivers, using my partner's USB cable, connecting to my partner's computer, using each USB cable, etc. My partner's tablet will run fully on both computers, but my tablet will not run on either computer. I even returned my tablet for an exchange, but the new device is behaving in exactly the same way. The first device was purchased on Tuesday (31st July 2012) and the replacement was done today, so the devices are both very new.

I have rung RIM, and they have talked me through various things, as well as taking logs of my attempts to connect the Playbook to the Blackberry Desktop Software. I am awaiting a response from RIM with regard to these logs. Unless the logs show some new information, RIM themselves are stuck for ideas as to how to sort out this problem.

Having exhausted all the possibilities I can think of, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Do you see the driver for the pb on your computer?
    I have no problem with a netbook windows7 or a xp notebook
    Mounting on ?
    Last edited by blutze; 08-04-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    PQi G3 WiFi GPS Microphone
    Benchmark 2272
    JB Beta1

Playbook 64gb

Thanks
    install the OS via computer again,not only the update,it takes 20 to 60 minutes and try backup
    Benchmark 2272
    JB Beta1

Playbook 64gb

Regular
    Thanks
    I can see the device in my computer, it maps as drive y or z, depending on how it connects. I can also see all the individual folders in the drive, such as books, camera, video, etc.

I have reinstalled the OS via the desktop manager several times, but it still doesn't work. I have even updated to the 2.1 Beta, which now allows me to see the backup files in the desktop manager (which I didn't get on earlier versions of the os). However, although it sees the backup files, it fails to run the backup. I have tried a full backup, and backing up individual sections (Application Data, Media and Settings) but the backup still fails.

I have read on various forums that for some people Application data won't back up, so I have excluded this from the back up list. It made no difference; the backup still won't run.

I've taken a screenshot of the error, but I can't seem to add it to the posting. The message says "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

Thanks
    Do you see at devise manager the usb.devise: Black Berry
    Install the driver

it connect automaticly
    Benchmark 2272
    JB Beta1

Playbook 64gb

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blutze View Post
    Do you see at devise manager the usb.devise: Black Berry
    Install the driver

it connect automaticly
    The Blackberry driver is installed via the device manager, so is the Research In Motion (RIM) network device in the Network Adaptors section. All the drivers are in order. The fact that the same fault occurs when my device is connected to my partner's laptop, and his device will backup in my netbook, would point to me not having a problem with the computer.

Regular
    Thanks
    I solved the problem, and uncovered a bug that RIM know nothing about, in the process. I had my BB ID set up using a ".co.uk" email address. I changed to a ".com" address and it just worked, straight after that. BB didn't know this problem existed, but they do now that I have rung them. They are going to test my theory to see if they can replicate it. My partner has a Playbook with a ".com" address and when he changed to to a ".co.uk" address as an experiment, his PlayBook was no longer recognised by the desktop manager. As soon as he changed back to the ".com" address, it all worked again.

Thanks
    Glad to here that you figured the problem out.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

Remove Ads