Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: review of Ainol Novo 7 Advanced and upgrading it to ICS

First Post
    Thanks

MIPS applications

I have gathered a list of applications for Novo 7. Check them out at: Ainol Novo 7 Basic MIPS Applications | Yiannis Tsentas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bsharwood View Post
    This is a great thread, but I'm wondering whether there is a way of installing using a Mac. As far as I can tell, LiveSuite won't work on Mac.

I've tried using a solution where I have downloaded an update file and try to run it from my SD card. That doesn't work, so I'm thinking I might need some other solution.
    yeah it sucks - there isn't a linux installer for this either, I'm a linux user, and I only use windoze in desperate situations(such as this one)
    it seems a bit odd that all these linux-opensource-based devices all come with windows software but not Linux - or even osx. One step forward, two steps back if you ask me

First Post
    Thanks
    About performance, it's better than gingerbread? Some bug found? what benchmark point on quadrant did?

Thanks
    hey, in my honest option I'd say it's better performance than all the other android versions.
    ICS is a great improvement all-round, I'll never go back to a previous version, there's just no need or reason to.
    I haven't yet tried a quadrant(or equiv) benchmark test yet but I'll post the findings once I have

Thanks
    also, aparently, someoneone had created/adapted a clockworkmod bootloader for the Novo7A - if anyone has details on that I'll be very grateful.
    it could be one step away form the silly dependancy on the windows installer app

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dizimatt View Post
    also, aparently, someoneone had created/adapted a clockworkmod bootloader for the Novo7A - if anyone has details on that I'll be very grateful.
    it could be one step away form the silly dependancy on the windows installer app
    Just Google cwm for Novo, you'll find it easily. While not perfect, it works well enough.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Teclast X80h dual boot
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

First Post
    Thanks
    Ainol Novo 7 Aurora Ultra-thin Android 4.0 Tablet
    CPU: JZ4770 MIPS( 1.0G MHZ)
    Screen LCD: 7 inch , HD LCD 800 * 480 Res
    DDR: DDRIII_512M
    Battery : 3.7V – 4000MA Play Time : 6-8 Hours For Video
    The product operating environment is: indoor, home or office
    ● Operating temperature : 0-45℃
    ● Storage temperature : -10-45℃
    ● Power Supply : Power Adaptor
    Input: 100-240V 50/60HZ
    Output: 5V 2A
    White 8GB $249.99,

On Sale Now: $169.99 from uPlay Tablet

Ainol Novo 7 Aurora Ultra-thin Android 4.0 Tablet PC 7 inch IPS HD Screen 1GB RAM ARM A10 Many CORE CPU 2160P HD 2MP Front Camera HDMI 8GB White: $249.99, On Sale Now: $169.99 uPlay Tablet

Thanks

Unhappy Stuck at startup after following all the steps

Quote Originally Posted by dizimatt View Post
    Hi there,

I just received one of these great machines yesterday, and I have to say it does not disappoint in the least, right now i have posted a youtube video of the review here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

The only disadvantages I can think are:
    - the touch buttons on the side do *not* light up, however soft-keys mostly remove the need for those anyway
    - all firmware updates *must* be done via a purpose-built WINDBLOWS software called LiveSuite - will cover that in a mo.

so to start off, I will say this machine is the dog's nads! for $160 that I paid for it, you cannot go wrong, seriously, I am amazed at the truly great value.
    out of the box:
    - the machine is installed with Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread), both cameras work fine - front and back, no problems
    - android market works perfectly, no force-closes, and google registration succeeds without a hitch.
    There's not much to say about this, it's just great! the only improvement on this is to upgrade it to Android 4 (ICS)...

Warning: this process is not for the faint-harted, or for the impatient! in order to do this, ALL instructions must be followed to the letter. I spent a whole day working on this upgrade - pulling my hair out along the way and have only just managed to complete it. Therefore I feel a more complete set of instructions is needed:

So on that note, I will guide you through the ICS upgrade process, follow these steps for the most painless ICS upgrade process :

The steps
    i/. download the following zips, and extract each of them, taking note of where you extracted each of them to:
    (I have stored these downloads on my own server to save you from scouting around trying to find the right ones - this would have saved me a hell of a lot of time I can tell you)
    a/. http://www.transmatt.com/android/ain...sbm_upload.zip <-- the actual ICS install rom
    b/. http://www.transmatt.com/android/Liv...sb_drivers.rar <-- the actual rom installer/flasher
    c/. http://www.transmatt.com/android/lor...r_ics0.131.zip <-- utility to fix the market and other apps
    d/. http://www.transmatt.com/android/nov...b_driver_2.zip <!-- this was the missing link for me to finally get the adb working

ii/. you may need to install the Google USB driver - revision 4 (includes sdk package download): Google USB Driver | Android Developers
    I can't say for sure if this was necessary but this is what stopped me from banging my head against the wall in desperation, there's just no harm in trying this - follow all the steps on this page

iii/. from your downloads, within the Livesuit path (download b) LiveSuitPack_v1.07_usb_drivers/LiveSuitPack_v1.07 execute the LiveSuitPack_v1.07.exe file
    iv/. turn off your novo, and remove the usb cable from it (very important)
    v/. within the same path, execute the LiveSuit.exe file - a dialog box will come up, all written in sketchie english,
    a) say no to the first dialog, that's just to bypass the wizard
    b) the most tricky part:
    the main livesuit window will appear with a load of buttons, just press the one with the box on it, locate and select the .img file within the folder you extracted your ICS rom to (from download step a), it is now waiting for your Novo7A to come back online for the upgrade - follwo the below steps closely:
    i/. on your Novo7A, while still turned off press and keep hold of the volume-up button
    ii/. insert the usb cable between your pc and the Novo7A - while still keeping volume-up pressed
    ii/. quickly press the power button 5-6 times (again, do not let go of the volume-up btn
    iv/. you will shortly hear the pc make a couple of bleeping sounds, and a popup window will appear - you can now let go of the Novo7A btns
    c) you will be asked if you wish to use the Format to upgrade option, just select yes/format button, and it should start the upgrade process, just sit and would for the it to complete and a chinese-test dialog box will pop up to say it's completed, then remove the usb cable, and restart your Novo7A

At this stage, you should have ICS installed, but certain things are best to be fixed - with the following script method:
    1) locate the files where you extracted the "lordsbm script for ics0.131.zip" file - (Download c section above), and execute the
    this script provides the script to fix the market and install the necessary apks into the ICS:
    2) execute the "fullmarket.bat" file from the extracted directory.
    - note: if this fails, stating something about device permissions or device not found - follow the following steps:
    i/. within your windows system, find the device manager, and look for an "unknown" device that should have a yellow exclamation mark next to it
    ii/. right-click the unknown device and find the settings to install the driver
    iii/. located the driver that was extracted from "novo7_adb_usb_driver_2.zip" - (download d section above), select the /usb_driver/ path from there, and let the driver manager find the driver for you.
    iv/. hopefully now, the unknown device will now have a name, and the exclamation mark removed.
    If this doesn't happen, then I'm afraid you will have to find your own way to fixing the adb issue - maybe check out the code.google pages for help on ADB
    Also, if this step didn't work, I mentioned above that it's worth installing the usb drivers via the android developers website (Google USB Driver | Android Developers)
    v/. if successful, then execute step 2) once more, it should trundle away, processing each package, with success statements as it goes along.

now if you have gotten this far, then you have a fully-patched up ics installation on your Novo Advanced, working market, wifi fix (prevents it from disabling after screen-locks) among other useful added apks.

I hope this guide was helpful
    Hi dizimatt,
    awesome work done dude! i have followed all the steps and it was working like charm before i executed the batch file to fix android market, now after reboot, it stuck at ainol logo animation, and gone frozen on first time but when i restart it using physical button above, the animation is not disappearing from last 20+ minutes. can you please guide on what to do to continue?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads