Thread: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions about Nook Tablet and Rooting

Thanks

[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions about Nook Tablet and Rooting

Will be building this slowly but surely

FAQ

Q: rooted 1.4.2 or 1.4.1 but the device isnt working right like you show it in the video.
    A: Barnes and Noble has made your lives difficult by blocking many feature of the tablet in both 1.4.2 and 1.4.1. After rooting, I STRONGLY recommend flashing the Recovery rom I have posted to revert you back to a rom that is based on 1.4.0 and not the other version. If you dont care if you are on a stock rom, then just flash the CM7 rom and enjoy a fully unlocked tablet.

Q: When I restart I get error with Unrooter app
    A: Uninstall unrooter app and just copy it over to Media folder or another SD card, It can be manually pulled out of files from PC as well, You dont have to install this now. Is only used when need to Unroot.

Q: How do I get my full size SD card back, is only 70mb?
    A: Go to settings, about your nook and unmount sd cart then chose to erase. Will restore back to full size.

Q: When I run update.zip nothing happens
    A: You are not following the directions correctly. You didnt replace the files on the disc image with the new folder files. Or you are not looking for the files on the sd card like the directions say. There should be no Update.zip. Watch the video if you are having trouble. The 2 zips to install are on the external SD card so you must chose that option in CWM.

Q: Does Root unlock BN partition?
    A: No, but they are working on it for roms and you have to root and install CWM to install roms.

Q: When I put the SD Card in and Turn it on it does nothing but boot.
    A: try Following alternat boot instructions for SD card, using USB cable or Power and N combo. Or try remaking card

Q: Will SD card Root work for 8GB Nook tablet?
    A: Not yet, developers are working on it.

Q: Can you Root 1.4.2?
    A: Yes, current methods work for rooting 1.4.2 with SD card

Q: My Nook Tablet was working just fine but when I checked on it now, it is just black and wont turn on.
    A: It doesnt like an app installed or something on the SD card possibly, Pop out SD, Hold power button for 15 seconds, let go, then hold power button for 3 seconds and should turn on.

Q: I installed an app like Chainfire3d and now my nook just bootloops.
    A: yea, that app is not compatible with the nook and now you have to use a recovery to restore. Either use one you made or the 1.4.0 recovery rom in the rom section. Use CWM or root SD to gain access to CWM and flash recovery rom according to the video, or just install CM7.

Q: I Patched OTA Block with Titanium backup and not 9.9.9, still 1.4.*
    A: Reboot and it should change.

Q: What is 8 failed boots? and why use it after acclaim update?
    A: Hold Power button until black N screen appears and disappears, nook is back off. This is one failed boot, Do this 8 times in a row and then allow the tablet to boot on the 9th time. When normal stock recovery is installed, results in a factory restore, commonly used after acclaim update to regain N button function when restoring back to 1.4.0

Q: Is Rooting or hacking Illegal?
    A: NO. http://www.pcworld.com/article/21469...phone_faq.html

Q: What is ROOT?
    A: It grants you superuser permissions to do whatever you want and bypass the security of your device.

Q: What is ROM?
    A: The version of the operating system and settings that allow you to run applications and interface with the drivers (Kernel). like Windows

Q: What is launcher?
    A: Interface with the ROM, how the operating system and its applications are visually presented to you. Like internet explorer

Q: What is the best Root method?
    A: This is up to you if you want to troubleshoot drivers. The SD root method has been suggested as the easiest and fastest root method currently, and so far they have not blocked it with current 16GB models. The process has to be modified to work with 8GB models and they are working on it.

This not enough FAQs for you? check out XDA's FAQ: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1415812
    Last edited by AlbertWertz; 02-28-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlbertWertz For This Useful Post:

ihk808 (03-01-2012), Rain (02-29-2012)

Thanks
    reserved
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Remove Ads