Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8GB NT WARNING with new 1.4.2

Thanks

8GB NT WARNING with new 1.4.2

Update: 4/17/12: new patch files make root for 16gb through sd work.!!! Now R# card and SDRoot work or 8gb NT. You still cant install 16gb roms on the 8gb NT, they must be specific to the device.

This does not currently apply to the 16gb NT...

UPDATE: Barnes and Noble made the 8gb with the same boot signature as the 16gb, but it has half the ram and half the Hard drive. This means that you can use the acclaim update to flash back to 1.4.0, but this will BRICK you Tablet. Barnes and Noble is Not taking proper protocol when making devices. They are manufacturing multiple variations with the same signatures. Hacks and Roms applied to the 16GB may brick the 8GB!!!

Threads on XDA involved in this discussion:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1514069

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510586

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=22822631

Last edited by AlbertWertz; 04-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    closeing my B&N account

Thanks
    OK, I clearly dont know as much code as the developers, but I have been troubleshooting many different tablets over the life of this product. I have been modifying this product from the get go. Over 20 different people have sent me their tablets to work on, and I have communicated with thousands through internet correspondence. I have noticed 3 different types of nook tablets out there.
    1. will boot straight from power on to sd card
    2. will boot to sd card when using power and N button
    3. will only boot to sd card when usb cable is attached
    4. now this one that wont currently boot to sd card (the new generation 8gb currently and I predict, the next 16gb manufacturing wave)

(SD card image being used is the one I have been working on in the development section)

I do not believe this is coming from the 1.4.2 patch
    I believe they are making hardware or boot loading changes to block hacking as they produce new manufacturing waves of the product. above progression is undeniable. Again, my disclaimer, the video was filmed on a whim because I got a text and I wanted to investigate what methods we had currently while i was there hacking someone else's tablet. I also mention that hackers would find a workaround for it. However, current methods make the device inaccessible. Please prove me wrong. However, you can not prove me wrong by simply upgrading an old device to 1.4.2 because the hardware is the same. You must prove me wrong by purchasing the new device because my feeling is the changes are beyond the software. With each wave of new nook tablet coming out there is a progression to remove our ability to hack...This is my intuition based on my experience with the product.

with this type of thing I am more the role of the patient and the developers are the doctors. I can only tell you the symptoms since I am not a programmer... However, you only have to listen to the patient's thorough history to find many of your diagnosis...

For those of you worried about me not filming any longer, I tell you that I will continue to film and produce tutorials, but I will be switching to making videos about the Asus Memo 370T when it comes out. I will still help the community in hacking for this product and answering questions and making root SD cards for those wanting to use them, and capable of using them. As the developers figure out how to hack the new tablets, I will bring you tutorials on that aswell...but for now, I feel that Barnes and Noble is going to actively try to block the hacking community on a regular bases through hardware modifications as they produce new waves of the same product. This means that hackers have to purchase a new device every time the manufacturer goes through a new wave of production, just to help people figure out how to make new workarounds. I would rather spend my time with a company that is more willing to allow mods on their devices so once it is hacked we can enjoy development and not just spend all of our time trying to figure out how to keep root... isnt that why we dont have apple devices?
    Last edited by AlbertWertz; 02-22-2012 at 06:41 AM.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlbertWertz For This Useful Post:

Rain (02-25-2012)

Thanks
    Hi Albert! Thanks for all your great work! (And everyone at Tabletroms!)
    I have the Nook Tablet and was just plucking up courage to purchase your SD Card to root it. I checked the version of my nook & it is 1.4.0. ( I have the Wi-Fi switched off at the moment).
    I was thinking that it might be simplest to allow Barnes & Noble to update my version to 1.4.1 OTA when I read your post about Version 1.4.2.
    Do you think I would be better root from Version 1.4.0 or will your SD 4.5 card work with Version 1.4.2?
    Thanks in anticipation!

First Post
    Thanks
    Hi Albert, I just bought my NT yesterday, I have checked my settings and the sofware is version 1.4.1 will buying one of your SD cards work for me? Also does the SD card method void the warrinty? Thanks!!

Also the video at the begining of the thread wont work for me, it keeps saying it private.

Thanks
    Thank you very much - and to everyone for your time, writing these posts out, answering questions, keeping us up to date, making the videos. The Asus sounds like a much better tablet, user friendly.

Thanks
    Further information: even if you have a 16GB nook tablet, make sure that it is 1.4.0 or 1.4.1... If you get a 16gb Nook tablet that comes stock with 1.4.2, let me know! We have to test the hacks to see if they work. Barnes and Noble may be doing behind the scenes things to actively block hackers.

Video put back to public because people need to know what barnes and noble is doing and their sloppy programming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Hi Albert! Thanks for all your great work! (And everyone at Tabletroms!)
    I have the Nook Tablet and was just plucking up courage to purchase your SD Card to root it. I checked the version of my nook & it is 1.4.0. ( I have the Wi-Fi switched off at the moment).
    I was thinking that it might be simplest to allow Barnes & Noble to update my version to 1.4.1 OTA when I read your post about Version 1.4.2.
    Do you think I would be better root from Version 1.4.0 or will your SD 4.5 card work with Version 1.4.2?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    rooting on 1.4.0 is best

Thanks
    Thanks, Albert!
    Am heading off to watch all your videos & FAQs for rooting from 1.4.0.
    Hope your exams went well!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertWertz View Post
    rooting on 1.4.0 is best
    Thanks, I had a similar question. Mine is stock 1.4.0, but it OTA updated in Jan to 1.4.1. So I used Indirect's method, and blocked OTA etc. and pushed it back to 1.4.0. Then I added an ad blocking Host file, changed several things with Titanium Backup. Deleted the calendar and calculator because I read 1.4.1 had those removed. Deleted stock images and several space hogging welcome videos from the root folder (annoying, why do pc makers insist on those?)

Q: Should I wipe that older root method, restore to 1.4.0 or 1.4.1, and use the SD root method?

But it works now and I am hesitant to fight through issues or accidentally brick it. New developments are ongoing and perhaps it would be best to wait.

Edit: Thanks Charles, I'm curious to see your outcome, let us know.
    Last edited by Rain; 02-25-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads