Thread: Can you downgrade a "new" NT from 1.4.1 to 1.4.0?

Thanks

Question Can you downgrade a "new" NT from 1.4.1 to 1.4.0?

I'm not certain if this is the best forum for this question or not. If not, please move it to the appropriate forum.

This may sound crazy but can you downgrade a NT that shipped with 1.4.1 to 1.4.0? I realize there are ways to revert an upgrade unit but I'm not sure if those will work on a unit that shipped with 1.4.1 rather than being upgraded to 1.4.1.

I realize that there are new methods for rooting that will allow us to root from version 1.4.1 but the NT doesn't come out looking or acting exactly the same as using Indirect's original method for 1.4.0. My wife got me a NT for Christmas and we both loved it. I rooted mine, didn't debloat, installed the Go launcher and, otherwise, left it as close to stock as possible. As a result, unlike many others, the B&N "read in-store" feature still works on my NT where it doesn't on many rooted NTs.

My wife was using mine more and more and it was becoming harder for us to share so she purchased her own. Hers was a month newer and came with 1.4.1 out of the box. We found Indirect's newer SD card method for rooting a 1.4.1 NT and Albert's updated videos using it. We tried them and they worked. However, this root method uses a different launcher and looks different than my unit which my wife prefers since that's what she's used to. More importantly, the B&N "read in-store" feature will not work on her unit. She really enjoys this feature.

It seems like the best alternative, if it were possible, would be to downgrade her new 1.4.1 unit to 1.4.0 and then perform Indirect's original 1.4.0 root procedure.

Would this be feasible?

Thanks to anyone that may be able to lead me in the right direction and I know my wife would be eternally grateful.

Sincerely,
    - Byron Followell
    Last edited by bfollowell; 02-07-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Changed to question

Thanks
    you can use the acclaim update to do this downgrade, but I would honestly just root it and it will open everything right up with the sd card root method
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Albert.

The main concerns my wife had were the fact that it looked differently (I use Go Launcher EX) and that some things didn't appear to be working. She was really upset that the B&N "read in-store" feature seemed to have been broken but after de- and then re-registering her Nook, this has cleared up. Now her main issue is the look and feel of her rooted Nook. I'm still learning my way around Android devices in general and rooting specifically. Is it fairly easy to install Go Launcher in place of the ADW Launcher that this SD rooting installed and then uninstall ADW altogether?

Thanks again. We really appreciate your assistance and all of your helpful videos and procedures. Even though we have a long way to go, you've really helped us learn a lot in a short amount of time.

- Byron

Thanks
    I would either make or buy the SD card and then use it to root. Once rooted, you can go to android market or internet and install anything else you want that is available. The SD card root files are more of a means to an end. They get everything opened up. the launcher that the root installs is not the best one. I use the purchased version of ADW. Once you get root, you will be much happier. VERY easy. Once card is made, all you have to do is stick it in and follow reboot and installation instructions then follow video on how to calibrate the tablet with included files. Then you reformat card and regain space on it. Very simple. Also, if you can figure it out I can help people through skype or phones
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    Thanks for your help Albert. I really appreciate everything you do for the Android/Nook community.

- Byron

Remove Ads