Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlbertWertz

Thread: Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet Update Removes Root, Disables Sideloading

Thanks

Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet Update Removes Root, Disables Sideloading

Following in Amazon's footsteps, US bookseller Barnes & Noble has released a software update for its Android-powered tablet, the Nook Tablet, which removes the ability to install third-party software.

As with Amazon's Kindle Fire, which recently saw an update that removed root access from devices that had been so treated - a process analogous to 'jailbreaking' in the iOS world, the latest Nook Tablet 1.4.1 update removes root access as well as the ability to install third-party apps.

Known as 'sideloading,' installation of applications from non-approved sources is available by default in Android but often gets disabled by device manufacturers who rely on a locked-down Apple-style platform where users are forced to purchase apps, films, books and other content from a single source.

To increase the versatility of the devices, users often 'root' the locked-down tablets and re-enable sideloading - but in order to retain control of the ecosystem, updates close holes and make the process increasingly difficult.

According to Ubergizmo, the update is installed automatically when the Nook Tablet is connected to the internet, and while existing side-loaded apps will continue to work they will no longer be able to receive updates.

Thanks
    there are ways to easily block this. also, we have ways to revert back already. this only proves that barnes and noble refuses to make it easy for hackers. We accept a challenge
    caf360 likes this.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    B&N has such a lousy Android Market, they shoul dbe ashamed of themselves and put some effort into fixing the market, very few free aps, not many really cool aps, maybe as bad as apple at keeping aps out of the market, if not for rooting I would have sold my Nook Tablet days after buying it..

Thanks
    Can the NT still side load movies? On the Barnes and Noble page when one clicks on Explore All Features and reads about the supported file types it states verbatim...
    Supports Netflix video up to 720p and sideloaded video up to 1080p; renders at 1024 x 600

They would have many upset customers for false advertising. How can you remove a feature which is part of your advertisement and/or selling point?

I'm still waiting until Christmas to get mine, so I can't answer my own question.

Thanks
    lol, calm down, and watch my videos. I show you how to undo all of it.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Remove Ads