Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nook Tablet Vs Kindle Fire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwards70 View Post
    ... I think reviewers and the stores selling the NOOK need to make that clearer about the memory.
    I go into this in my review of the nook tablet, but keep in mind we just got superuser on it this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a repartition hack by christmas. It is all software.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertWertz View Post
    I am torn between this device and the kindle fire. I think the specs on this device are much better than the Kindle fire for the additional 50 bucks. Is the amazon network really worth the inability to upgrade the memory capacity and the faster RAM?

My only concern is the ability to hack the crap out of this thing. Anyone out there planning on putting stock ICS on this?
    Let me preface my comment by saying I bought the Nook Tablet. I got it for three reasons, 1) double the RAM and 2) expandable storage and 3) built-in mic. I guess you could say I got it for one reason, "better hardware". However, the one issue that almost persuaded me toward the Kindle fire was the price.

The difference is more than just the $50 you see on the surface. The Nook has sales tax attached, but the Kindle Fire does not. I guess technically online purchases which don't charge sales tax should be reported on your tax forms, but I doubt most people bother to do that. Additionally, since the Nook locks down all but 1GB of storage space, it's almost essential that you buy a Micro SD card. I got one because my side-loaded Amazon Marketplace wouldn't install apps unless there was an SD card installed, but I probably would have had to buy one anyway just to have enough storage space. So add $15-20 for sales tax, another $30 for a 16GB flash card (you could get a smaller or larger one for more or less, but that's the one I got) and you're closer to $300. There may not feel like a pretty big difference between $200 and $250, but changing that third diget from a 2 to a 3 sure has a psychological impact.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetareticuli View Post
    Let me preface my comment by saying I bought the Nook Tablet. I got it for three reasons, 1) double the RAM and 2) expandable storage and 3) built-in mic. I guess you could say I got it for one reason, "better hardware". However, the one issue that almost persuaded me toward the Kindle fire was the price.

The difference is more than just the $50 you see on the surface. The Nook has sales tax attached, but the Kindle Fire does not. I guess technically online purchases which don't charge sales tax should be reported on your tax forms, but I doubt most people bother to do that. Additionally, since the Nook locks down all but 1GB of storage space, it's almost essential that you buy a Micro SD card. I got one because my side-loaded Amazon Marketplace wouldn't install apps unless there was an SD card installed, but I probably would have had to buy one anyway just to have enough storage space. So add $15-20 for sales tax, another $30 for a 16GB flash card (you could get a smaller or larger one for more or less, but that's the one I got) and you're closer to $300. There may not feel like a pretty big difference between $200 and $250, but changing that third diget from a 2 to a 3 sure has a psychological impact.
    here is food for thought. The hacks for android market place all required system and vending tools in the system folder which grant them access to the barnes and noble partition. So... Anything downloaded through the android market goes on the partitioned space. Yay, So you only have to worry about the 1gb for sideloading, placing personal files, etc.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads