Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a CM7 Rom Card No Root or warranty Nulling!

Thanks

How to make a CM7 Rom Card No Root or warranty Nulling!

If you dont want to mess with making this card and just want me to make it for you and ship it to you, click this sentence.

According to XDA this works on the 8gb nook tablet and the 16gb nook tablet. I have not tested it yet... yet. I have not contributed at all to these files. If you are wanting to donate for the development of these files, do so the the OP on XDA. this file is still in ALPHA testing phase. Proceed at your own risk.

Once I test out the files I will also be offering services of creating this image on 8, 16, and 32 gig partitions with the entire card accessible for both the 8gb NT and the 16gb NT. Not until I test it though and the post will be in the accessories section.

This card should allow you to boot into CM7 without rooting or nulling your warranty on the Nook Tablet. ***no files are modified on the internal SD card***

Hypothetical drawbacks that have not been tested yet: due to the three variations of nook tablets, you may not be able to boot to the SD card without the help of a usb cable or PC as demonstrated with the other root sd cards i have sold. Some people may be able to boot by simply turning on, some may require N and power combo and others may require a USB connected to PC to get it to boot to sd card. I suspect this to be a limitation to the product. You can thank barnes and noble for their poor quality assurance when making the nook tablet...

Original thread

Files to download
    1. CM7 img file for SD
    2. Win32diskImager

Instructions for windows: (linux instructions in original thread, mac users: just google how to mount an img file to sdcard)
    1. Open up Win32diskImager zip and extract ALL files to desktop or folder of your choosing.
    2. Unzip and copy CM7 img file pulled from CM7 img zip (4gb file)
    3. Use Win32diskimager to write SD card image, by choosing cm7 image and choosing SD card to write it to and click write.

Result will be a 4gb sd card in 4 different partitions regardless of the size sd card you placed in. You can expand one of the partitions to the rest of the sd card and it will allow you to utilize the rest of the card. I have not tested out which one this is but I suspect it is the largest partition that has no data written to it.

If you have performed this successfully, please post back here as a response and tell us:
    1. What NT you have (8gb or 16gb)
    2. what SD card you used(size and class). Thanks!
    3. what proceedure you had to do to get your tablet to boot to SD (use usb, just turn on, or key combo)
    Last edited by AlbertWertz; 03-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlbertWertz For This Useful Post:

harrykay (03-12-2012), Kristiraine (03-17-2012), sawbuck (10-16-2012)

Thanks
    reserved
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

First Post
    Thanks
    I have a 16 GB Nook Tablet. I tried various procedures prior to coming upon this thread.
    Every thing else would only bring up the factory restore menu.

I used the Win32DiskImager on Windows 7-64
    I used an Sandisk 8GB Class 4 card
    I reset the nook to FACTORY 1.4.2
    My nook booted directly to the SD card, with just the power switch
    It flashed brightly before displaying the splash page.
    A power cycle boot brings up sdcard CM7
    A warm reboot brings up the factory reset / boot menu which allows you to switch back to
    stock interface without removing the card.
    To return to CM7 on the card you have to power cycle the NT.

Able to use Android Market.
    Able to install apps.
    Able to install Amazon Market
    Able to install Amazon Apps

Looking Good!

Thanks
    i just tried this with a 16gb class 6 card and it worked great, but it didnt switch back and forth between on board and off board alright... it ruined the card and resulted in a black screen of death when i tried to switch. I need to do some more testing to figure out why

Thanks
    Well, it worked! There was some doubt there for awhile as I thought I'd ruined the sd card when I tried to repartition it after I imaged CM7 to it but after a few (or many) attempts I got that fixed.

The first time I booted with the CM7 sdcard the skateboarding Android popped up and then a black screen (expected) after about 10 minutes I popped the card out and reset it and then booted again. This time it worked.

I'm up and running. Got the WIFI working, added my google account. One thing I haven't figured out how to do is to reload my back-up from Titanium Bankup. That's sitting on the other sdcard and the CM7 card needs to stay in the NT. Another issue I'm seeing is the google recognizes me, my calendar and contacts automatically synced up but when I go to the market none of my apps are listed. Haven't tried amazon yet. I'll let you know how that goes.

Nikkie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikkie For This Useful Post:

sawbuck (10-16-2012)

First Post
    Thanks
    I must be dense/ I can get this work just great but any resizing of the 1st or 4th Partition (tried it both ways) breaks it on boot (no splash sceen, nada) Suggestions?

NT16GB
    PNY 32GB
    Boot from SD method

Thanks
    it is the 4th (larges fat32) partition, the 1.3 one that should be expanded. This must be done in linux while the sd card is NOT in the tablet. This is one of the reasons I am offering to do this for people because it requires a custom setup to do. There really isnt an easy way to do this type of thing on a windows pc. I have a ubantu secondary operating system on my laptop that I boot to to make this card work on the full SD card.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjamizon View Post
    I must be dense/ I can get this work just great but any resizing of the 1st or 4th Partition (tried it both ways) breaks it on boot (no splash sceen, nada) Suggestions?

NT16GB
    PNY 32GB
    Boot from SD method
    I'm still a noobie but used EASEUS Partition (free version). It took me a couple of attempts to get it. Each time I screwed up I did reformat the card and re-imaged CM7 to make sure it hadn't been corrupted.

Here's a "How To" referenced on XDA Developers. I cobbled this and some instructions I found for a Nook Color. Basically I took the "unallocated" portion and created a partition from it. (How To Resize Your Partitions with EASEUS Partition Manager).

The first time I did put the card in and booted the NT it hung up right after the initial splash screen so I popped the card and reset it. It started after that.

Out of curiosity I powered off the N and pulled the card and rebooted. No problems. Back to rooted stock Nook. Then powered back off and put the card in, rebooted and we're back in to CM7. Cool!

Nikkie

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikkie For This Useful Post:

Mark0 (04-08-2012), sawbuck (10-16-2012)

Thanks

SD Works great

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertWertz View Post

According to XDA this works on the 8gb nook tablet and the 16gb nook tablet. I have not tested it yet... yet. I have not contributed at all to these files. If you are wanting to donate for the development of these files, do so the the OP on XDA. this file is still in ALPHA testing phase. Proceed at your own risk.

Once I test out the files I will also be offering services of creating this image on 8, 16, and 32 gig partitions with the entire card accessible for both the 8gb NT and the 16gb NT. Not until I test it though and the post will be in the accessories section.

This card should allow you to boot into CM7 without rooting or nulling your warranty on the Nook Tablet. ***no files are modified on the internal SD card***

Hypothetical drawbacks that have not been tested yet: due to the three variations of nook tablets, you may not be able to boot to the SD card without the help of a usb cable or PC as demonstrated with the other root sd cards i have sold. Some people may be able to boot by simply turning on, some may require N and power combo and others may require a USB connected to PC to get it to boot to sd card. I suspect this to be a limitation to the product. You can thank barnes and noble for their poor quality assurance when making the nook tablet...

Original thread

Files to download
    1. CM7 img file for SD
    2. Win32diskImager

Instructions for windows: (linux instructions in original thread, mac users: just google how to mount an img file to sdcard)
    1. Open up Win32diskImager zip and extract ALL files to desktop or folder of your choosing.
    2. Unzip and copy CM7 img file pulled from CM7 img zip (4gb file)
    3. Use Win32diskimager to write SD card image, by choosing cm7 image and choosing SD card to write it to and click write.

Result will be a 4gb sd card in 4 different partitions regardless of the size sd card you placed in. You can expand one of the partitions to the rest of the sd card and it will allow you to utilize the rest of the card. I have not tested out which one this is but I suspect it is the largest partition that has no data written to it.

If you have performed this successfully, please post back here as a response and tell us:
    1. What NT you have (8gb or 16gb)
    2. what SD card you used(size and class). Thanks!
    3. what proceedure you had to do to get your tablet to boot to SD (use usb, just turn on, or key combo)
    I have 16gb Nook Tablet
    Used 8gb Class10 SD
    I was able to re-size the large Fat32 partition quite easily with use of the EASEUS Partition Master(Free Program) by choosing "Resize/Move Partition" Now have 5+GB in that partition and left just a few MB in the 4th unallocated Partition. I could make screen shots if you are interested.

First boot from SD required USB to Computer and the Splash Screen came on and then the "skater". Left it run for about 5 min. and then had to pull SD to get it to turn off.

Next boot went OK (with USB) and booted in to CM7 Just FINE. Did the Google and played around with the program for awhile. I am not familiar with Android so just took a look at what was there.

I held the Power switch and I then chose "Reboot" and it booted into the B&N like the SD wasn't still in the slot.

I did the USB again to get into CM7 and then at some time later after Rebooting into B&N It said "Preparing SD Card" and then I was able to boot into CM7 from a Power On without using the USB. Still works that way. B&N added the "B&N Downloads" and the "android secure" Folders with no data in them on the SD Card.

First Post
    Thanks
    16GB Nook Color, and regular start-up here (With the SD Card in)

Although, I have a problem installing apps from the marketplace, it keeps saying "Apps failed to download because of an error", does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast