Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full root for Nook Tablet

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks

Full root for Nook Tablet

NOTE: Anyone who is having problems with drivers, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1363652 <-- That explains the two most common problems.

Step by step video from my friend Albert to gain root access:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbT1Fj38nE

This also includes a gApps install section in it incase you decide you want to run that.

You may NOT use the included script in your work without atleast asking me as of now, this may change in the future but I dont want to have to hop from thread to thread just to offer support when I can keep the answers organized for all to find. So please just ask first.
    Thanks.

Information:
    I have gotten zergRush to work on the nook tablet as well as created a batch script for you to run to allow you to root your tablet. This does NOT unlock the bootloader software/hardware checks this is just so you can remove whatever unnecessary crap you wish to get the **** off your device.

Needed files for root:
    You need drivers first:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/usbdrivers.zip

here is an app to pull up usb debugging menu
    http://li362-167.members.linode.com/...s_launcher.apk
    Code:
    <robertely> Also note, that while that box will remain checked, the setting is not persistant.
    <robertely> So you have to flick the top 'Usb Development' box twice to get it working.
    Download Link for rooting script:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15069134/Nook%26Zergy.zip

How to get adb debugging enabled:
    Download the apk provided in the second download link to be able to access the menu *if you're just installing an app the first time, it will pull up the menu anyway but this is more for AFTER you have root as a convienance to access usb debugging and whatnot. Just try to install the apk *or open it if you already set unknown sources* and you will get a prompt to allow non-market apps. Click settings then you should be able to see "Unknown sources" check that followed by going into "Development" and check the 2 "Usb Debugging" boxes and uncheck "auto mount" then your nook tablet is ready to be used in debugging mode.

Instructions to root:

1. Download the "usbdrivers" zip
    2. Download the "Nook&Zergy.zip"
    3. Extract both to a folder C:\ntroot\
    4. Now you should see the following files and folders inside c:\ntroot:
    5. Run "runmefirst.bat" and follow the instructions.

6a. When the batch file opens the device manager, If you don't see a broken device icon next to "NOOK Tablet" then you may have some other generic drivers taking over. Not sure how to remove them so you will have to move to another PC that has never had a tablet hooked up and start over.

6b. If you do see NOOK Tablet with a broken device icon.. then right click and choose "update driver". Choose "Let me specify where the driver is" and browse to the c:\ntroot\usbdriver folder and hit ok. It should install and you can click "OK" to the warning about unsigned drivers.

7. Run "NookandZergy.bat" and follow the instructions
    7a. If you see a long string of numbers/letters it's your device
    Now you should have root.

How to Unroot: Check out this thread:

Code:
    Changelog:
    4.0: Included de-bloater and launcher install (you get to choose!)
    3.5: Updated to check for proper USB Vendor ID as well as check for root.
    3.0: Updated to include system app  replacements (Keyboard, Email, Gallery) As well as adding live wallpapers for other launchers. You need to choose to run this part of the script same as gApps.
    2.7: Updated Gapps to latest [9/30/2011]
    2.5: Fixed a few minor typo's/bugs with the script
    v2.1: Added usb vendor id addition to adb_usb.ini
    v2.0: Rewritten script to allow for more user choices; added Gapps installer (thanks anlog); Added busybox installer apk and debug menu puller (allows you to access debugging menu)
    v1.1 Updated superuser apk
    v1.0: Official release
    v.75: Updated to install SU and superuser.apk
    v.5: Initial release
    Code:
    Credits:
    Gojimi for his HomeCatcher.apk
    Developers of ADW launcher for their APK
    Developers of Go launcher for their APK
    Syndicate Apps for their Honeycomb Launcher
    anlog for finding out how to get nook color drivers to work and general testing
    Team Revolutionary for their exploit
    B&N for using android like good little sheep
    suicideclown for bearing with me while I tried to get it to work on his computer until anlog found the driver fix.
    Dsstrainer for the simplified instructions.
    How to do it manually instead of running the Nook&Zergy.bat file (for linux or mac users or someone who wants to do it all manually)

Install drivers and follow instructions up until running the batch file then do the following commands in order:
    Code:
    adb push zergrush /data/local/zergy
    adb shell "chmod 755 /data/local/zergy;cd /data/local/;./zergy"
    adb wait-for-device install Superuser.apk
    adb remount
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell cd /data/local/tmp;chmod 777 su;cd /;mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs rootfs /;
    adb push su /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Wanna buy me a coffee or something pretty for christmas?

Unroot method can be found here

Rooted nook tablet using my method
    Taken from inside of barnes and noble;
    Last edited by Indirect; 12-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post:

amaslkw (11-20-2011)

Thanks

Update to include video demo

Thank you so much for your effort Indirect!
    here is image proof that this works

Also Indirect came up with this without even having a nook tablet in his possession.
    Last edited by AlbertWertz; 11-21-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Indirect where in Florida are you from? Sarasota / Bradenton here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    I'm from Melbourne, Zero.

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    New version uploaded.

Thanks

Smile Thanks and a question about ROM manager (Clockworkmod) backups

I would like to express my thanks to both Indirect and Albert W. for their generous efforts in rooting the Nook Tablet so quickly and so well.
    But--you knew there was coming, didn't you? I haven't been able to get ROM Manager to do a backup of the ROM--it doesn't successfully reboot into the CWM Recovery, instead showing a big red exclamation on a tablet, with the following text: "Please restart your device and try again. If you encounter the same issue, please contact customer service...etc" Then it reboots into the standard fresh boot screen. I was fairly certain that CWM Recovery was installed when I installed the ROM Manager, but there was a bit of uncertainty about what to claim the device was--only Nook Color was offered, not Nook Tablet. Since I have Cyanogen Mod 7 on my Nook Color, things are behaving somewhat differently there.

I also have encountered the following error popup a few times:
    "Sorry!
    The application Google services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" with a Force close button. Any idea what that might relate to? (I assume something to do with Market, though I hadn't clicked on it at the time--it was after one of the reboots I mentioned above)

Archie Strong

Thanks
    astro, the boot loader is signed, we cant do roms until we get that fixed
    Donations, purchases of port covers, and purchases of NT SD Cards go towards my production of tutorial videos. If you have not seen them, check out my youtube channel

Thanks
    Thanks so much Indirect and Albert, got this working great on wife's nook, I find I really like the 7" screen. Love that I can now install all my amazon and market apps. battery life 11hrs!

Thanks
    Ouch--that sounds ugly. Everything I've read about signed boot loaders indicate that the startup boot process checks encrypted values against Read Only Memory (which is NOT rewriteable). Maybe getting the tablet wasn't such a good idea! What the heck was B&N thinking?

First Post
    Thanks
    Not sure if I am in the right area and appologize if I am not but I have a problem with my nook tablet that when I finished a cwm backup, it keeps rebooting into cwm. Tried to do a restore but says file invalid. Tried to do a factory reset and keeps booting into cwm. So at this point I used Adams Ubuntu methed and was able to get it to finally boot into Barnes and nobles startup screen but freezes with a white screen with "n". So at this point I made a sdcard with cwm and flashed 1.4.1. It flashed with no problems and booted perfect. But now I have problems registering it, like the login is incorrect but I know it is correct. Does anyone have any idea on how to get correct this issue or have a android rom that can flash to get my tablet back and running? Thanks for your hard work and dedication.
    Roncad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads