Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tablet, Familiar Story

Thanks

New Tablet, Familiar Story

So, every so often both I, and people within this site see a tablet with a big idea. The Notion Ink Adam was one such tablet, and many of us were introduced to TabletROMs because of it. This new tablet is not without its own risks, because it has not yet been produced. Currently it is undergoing a crowd funding campaign to raise the money for its production. All issues aside though, I found a new tablet that I think has great potential.

Designed to be an outdoors tablet, here are the main points:

Android 4.1
    E-ink screen (flexible 1024x768 6 inch)
    IR touchscreen (This means you can touch with gloves on)
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Wifi
    GLONASS and WAAS compatible GPS (this bodes well for distance travelers)
    Thermometer (temprature)
    Hygrometer (humidity)
    Barometer (Pressure)
    Anemometer (wind speed)
    Two way FRS GMRS MURS Radio (walkie-talkie)
    AM/FM Radio (also includes Short and Long Wave band reception)
    Integrated Solar Panel for charging
    IP67 rated weatherproofing
    Gyroscope

Price: $249 USD for early backers.
    The only thing holding me back right now is waiting for my next paycheck...

But... Let me know what you think.

Source: Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet
    There are no solutions, only tradeoffs. -Thomas Sowell

If you Like what I do, supply me with Tang.

Thanks
    I saw something about this earlier today. Not something I would really use much but it is a great idea if it comes to fruition.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

Veteran
    Thanks
    It's interesting for sure. But I have seen so many come and go with no actual product (wikipad as one) that sponsoring a kickstart is pretty scary to me.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Rooted
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    Sero 7 Pro Rabid ROM Beta
    LePan TC1020 Rooted
    LePan TC802A Rooted - Deodexed

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    It's interesting for sure. But I have seen so many come and go with no actual product (wikipad is one) that sponsoring a kickstart is pretty scary to me.
    I hear that. Personally, I REALLY want a tablet with the features they are describing.

One thing that I had not considered was that this is not being run through kickstarter. That does lend itself to some funding concerns...

Thanks
    It is a very interesting concept. But it's probably a gamble of your $249. It does say if they don't meet the goal by June 9 you get refunded. It's only 10% right now. But still a cool idea.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Teclast X80h dual boot
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Thanks
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

Burned by empty promises of the Notion Ink tablet, wont take a gamble again.I've gotten three tablets since, all major players in the industry, no need to take a gamble on the unproven anymore.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

Burned by empty promises of the Notion Ink tablet, wont take a gamble again.I've gotten three tablets since, all major players in the industry, no need to take a gamble on the unproven anymore.
    I think there is a huge difference between a new tablet on the market and a prototype being touted as the next big thing. With all the "off brand" tablets out there buying strictly from a major name brand is a suckers bet. In most cases the name brand cost less to build and sell for double the average cost of a similarly spec'ed no name tablet. When a dual core for $200 performs almost as well as a quad core name brand for $400-$500 where is the bargain in buying the more expensive tablet? With the big brands like Galaxy, Asus, Toshiba customer support is mediocre at best, so that certainly doesn't justify the price.

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

Thanks
    @KirkP- While I understand your hesitancy, but for all of the problems with the Adam, I still frequent places like Kickstarter, and I am seriously considering the Earl. The only thing that has me worried is that the Crowd-funding is not being done through a 'trusted' third party, but by pre-order sales.

@Rabbid1- I do agree with you about the performance issues, although I think that has quite a bit to do with the fact that there MIGHT be 1 app out there that actually uses your quad core processor properly. And to be honest, I hope that we never get to that point. In a lot of ways, I use my tablet like I used to use my Gameboy back in the day (the huge gray brick gameboy that burned through 4 AA batteries at a time. As a brief tangent, I was ecstatic when I found a wall plug for that monster, and could play Pokemon to my heart's content without regard to batteries.)

All that being said, I am interested to hear what you all think of the supposed specifications of the tablet itself.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    If this tablet was available right now for $250 with these specs, I think it's more than worth it.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Teclast X80h dual boot
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Veteran
    Thanks
    I think if you are buying it strictly for what it is, it's a bit pricey. Why? Freescale processors are notoriously under performers and inexpensive. What they are saying is the investors price is steep already INMHO. I would guess really tha build itself is the lowest priced components to cover he cost of the flexible screen. With that screen and top end components I would think that would put it in the $500-600 range easy.

I have some doubts on the claims of performance. They seem like manufacturers sales stats. Like 2 miles on a radio. Yes if you were on the Utah Slat Flats or the Blackrock Desert maybe. But in the mountains? I have bought so many walkies from cheap to very high end and have been lucky to get over a quarter mile in even low foothills. 20 hours on a 3000mAh battery even with the solar charger seems like a huge stretch. Maybe with a full charge and the solar on with the battery, gps, wifi, and radio turned off. With a battery that has maybe 4 to 5 hours life with a device tuned perfectly most solar chargers I have seen can only add about 2 to 4 hours of life and they run around $100 to $150 dollars and are much larger. If this solar panel system is something much more efficient then again the regular price point seems like the would be losing money selling there.

My opinion isn't an attempt to bash a device I have never seen, as the idea of it is pretty cool. I am just going by experience. If it can do everything they claim it would be revolutionary. Similar smaller hand held devices that can;t do everything this device has claimed run for $600 up. But even then I don't see it replacing a daily driver tablet so it becomes a pretty expensive occasional use device. I worked for a major sporting goods chain for a summer and this was the type of thing they would market for the more money than brains customers. The guys who would buy a $400 top of the line arctic rated back country tent for camping in a state park in the summer, when a $99 tent could do the same job.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    LePan TC1020 Rooted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast