Thread: Hows yours set up?

Thanks

Hows yours set up?

How many people take what they are given by their ISP's and just use it the way it's given?

Here in the UK part of the deal with most ISP's is that you get given a modem/router/wireless box that is designed in such a way that you plug it in and it works. But that's it, it just works and most people are happy with that.

I never was, as with Android V IOS , I don't want to be told how to do things I want to make the decision for myself thank you, so my set up is a little different.

My phone line comes in in the living room, I have a ZyXEL modem in bridge mode, I then have the Cat5 out from that going to a Belkin gigabit power-line network adapter. The other end of that is in a spare bedroom / computer room one floor up which connects into my MicroTIK GB750 router, this connects directly to my Game PC, Server and Sitecom Wireless Access Point and via a long cable to a Netgear 5 port switch on the ground floor again. This then connects to my Media Centre PC, XBox 360 and EchoStar FreeSat Slingbox.

All the wired connections are Cat6 Gigabit, all the WiFi is G/N.

All the devices have their own external IP4 address AND IPv6 addresses, where compatible

It all sounds a bit convoluted but it works for me, I get to have the modem as close to the entry point for the telephone line as possible, I get to have a fully configurable Router and get to choose to turn on or off my wifi as and when I want.

Now I've shown you mine, show me yours.

Damski

Oh, and all this will be being dismantled and sold in the next year when I move house
    Devices, Nexus One, unrooted!
    Notion Ink adam 3g PQi, any random ROM
    Asus Transformer, Stock ICS

A through and through geek, cut me and I bleed 1's and 0's

Check out www.plevin.net/america

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a fiber optic ont in my garage going into my wireless router which has 8 internal antennas then I have cat5e connections wired to every room of the house. In the top floor there is another wireless router. In the garbage the wires go to several gigabit switches and connect to my servers. I have ups systems on everything and a portable ac unit and dehumidifier for when things get too hot.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    cable>Arris modem>cat5>AirPort Extreme (that covers a good 50 foot radius indoors and outside through concrete block walls with guest networks for visitors) As zerofeel mentioned, ups (and an APC power conditioner) for everything are de rigueur in Florida.

I also have a Honda generator that I bought during week three of the city-wide power outage following Hurricane Wilma. (My BIGGEST disappointment with the Adam is that it did NOT have the user replaceable and/or extra batteries that were originally promised). I have multiple cellphone batteries, a USB tv tuner for the netbook, still maintain a copper landline and analog phone, and use satellite tv... With any luck, I'll have at least one way to communicate the next time I lose power for weeks on end. (I also have a Human Powered Generator* for charging a large 12v ship's battery for lights and fans, and an amateur radio license!)

We'll probably never be off the grid for three weeks+ again in my lifetime, but I'm prepared!

*human-power-generator.JPG
    Nexus One (still my favorite mini-tablet), Adam PixelQi+3g (gone to a new home)... HTC Sensation (waiting for CM7), Nook Touch, LG g-slate

Thanks
    In France it is similar to the UK with the ISPs offering their own equipment.

However I have taken a different route.

I have a wireless modem router where the phone line comes into the house. From there I have a cat5 cable running to the basement, and another running to the summer kitchen at the bottom of the garden. Also attached to the modem is a powerline adapter, and my old faithfull Yamaha Musiccast server.

In the office I have a PC and a networked printer and a Musiccast client. Out in the garden I have Wifi AP and a Musiccast server attached to the cat5 cable. Upstairs in the house I haveanother Wifi AP atacedto a powerline adapter. Around the house i have a number of Musiccast clients running on wifi and one via a powerline adapter in the garage.

Currently I have all of the 3 wifi networks running with different SSIDs on separate channels. We have 3 PCs 2HTC Desires and 1 Adam accessing the networks.

All the kit is Netgear - and apart from a recent lightening strike that sent a spike up the phone cable and fried the router - no problems.
    Last edited by GreenI; 07-24-2011 at 01:01 AM.

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

NotionInk Adam PixelQi / 3G (PO1) Powered by Borkata's Liquidsmooth KitKat
    Google Nexus 10 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 7 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 4 Rooted - Stock KitKat

Thanks
    I don't know all the tech terms for the whole setup but where the line comes in a router devides to a Nas, the downstairs router and the main computerand the computer for the kids. The downstairs router devides to the reserve computer and an extra wifi hotspotb in my workbarn where a hacked xbox streams games,music and films from the nas to a very old dingy tv.
    The nas streams via the main computer to the main tv all the films and series we have downloaded to review only of course..
    I would not be surprised if ur setup is the most complicated of all the people living in a 100 mile radius...

What can I say ...I like my adam pqiwifi..
    Running delicious JellyBean

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatrice View Post
    cable>Arris modem>cat5>AirPort Extreme (that covers a good 50 foot radius indoors and outside through concrete block walls with guest networks for visitors) As zerofeel mentioned, ups (and an APC power conditioner) for everything are de rigueur in Florida.

I also have a Honda generator that I bought during week three of the city-wide power outage following Hurricane Wilma. (My BIGGEST disappointment with the Adam is that it did NOT have the user replaceable and/or extra batteries that were originally promised). I have multiple cellphone batteries, a USB tv tuner for the netbook, still maintain a copper landline and analog phone, and use satellite tv... With any luck, I'll have at least one way to communicate the next time I lose power for weeks on end. (I also have a Human Powered Generator* for charging a large 12v ship's battery for lights and fans, and an amateur radio license!)

We'll probably never be off the grid for three weeks+ again in my lifetime, but I'm prepared!

*human-power-generator.JPG
    You live in Florida?

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofeel View Post
    You live in Florida?
    I thought you knew that!
    Nexus One (still my favorite mini-tablet), Adam PixelQi+3g (gone to a new home)... HTC Sensation (waiting for CM7), Nook Touch, LG g-slate

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No, lol.... Wilma landed north of miami on the east cost in 2004 or something, right?

Thanks
    My latest.
    Cable Modem.
    linksys WRT 400n
    Dockstar ( pogoplug ) 2 1.5 tb Freeagent
    3 Zotac pc's LR - BR and Yes the Spa ....( stream movies or music for the Jacuzzi time...
    1 connected win 7 pc ( 3TB storage)
    2 wireless laptops and my daughter across the street ( wireless )