Thread: Acer Iconia A500 ROM build howto

Thanks

Lightbulb Acer Iconia A500 ROM build howto

Oke, after seeing an using the magic work of dexter I wanted to customise an build my own ROM for Acer Iconia.

First of all I want to be able to add device drivers for USB devices like small webcams, memory card readers camera etc.
    I downloaded the linux kernel sources from Acer. Now the next steps in creating a custom ROM are not clear to me. That is why I start this thread.

1. what cross compile toolchain should I use to build a valid Linux kernel for Iconia A500
    2. How to test this on the real device.
    3. How to package this in a (installable) ROM zip image.

Next is to build the Android Honeycomb 3.2 or later versions from google's sources. As always the first step is to download the sources. Done that ;-)
    Building the source is done with use of the excelent guides google provides. Done that .....
    Now the interesting part and maybe similar to the questions above

1. How to make an installable ROM zip image with my own kernel and the android 3.2 build.
    2. How can I add acer/asus/motorola etc android packages to my stock android 3.2 build

If anyone (like Dexter) can help me on answering these questions maybe I can come to some guide on how to create your own ROM's and install on the Iconia.
    And maybe I have overlooked an already existing excelent guide and we can refer to that from this thread and maybe fill in the gaps.

greetings!

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mvturnho View Post
    1. what cross compile toolchain should I use to build a valid Linux kernel for Iconia A500
    2. How to test this on the real device.
    3. How to package this in a (installable) ROM zip image.

Next is to build the Android Honeycomb 3.2 or later versions from google's sources. As always the first step is to download the sources. Done that ;-)
    Building the source is done with use of the excelent guides google provides. Done that .....
    Now the interesting part and maybe similar to the questions above
    a few answers to begin, and one major one learn by doing, which means look at others and their scripts, make changes and test,test and test again.. not all is documented well, so it require much testing if you think installer.

- cross compiler i use comes from the kernel i downloaded.
    - you cannot compile a working 3.2, as the hardware acc. part of android is not public available from nvidia, and you need a NDA and probably license with nvidia to get it to compile and get sources for it.. same as for the bootloader.

if you look at distribution packs already out for many, such as my primee , you find system folder and meta-inf.
    in meta-inf all instruction on how to install and where and installer itself is located there.
    system folder is just a foldername, and could be thomas if you with, but all changes to ownership happens in the installer.
    i cannot point you to a howto as i dont know if such exists i just used the script and wrote my changes according to existing lines. pretty straight forward.

you test it all, having ADB enabled from bootup, which means you need to compile boot.img, so "default.prop" includes the enabling of ADB..
    you can add it to /system/default.prop but it might be a problem if you forget to include or make changes, and reset and its lost at bootup. i always use default.prop and no other locations as /data as well is reset often.

most images compile using binaries for drivers from existing releases, which you see on many platforms that as example camera is not always working, because a driver has not been written for the new release.. it can be a kernel update, a driver change and firmware update required which not many homebrew's got access to or knowledge on how to create or compile to fix. some drivers are opensource, others not.

Thanks
    Dexter thanks for the answers so far.
    I understand that not all software needed to build a working android image is open-source. This poses a problem and the way arround is to create your ROM by getting the working binaries compile some yourself and glue these together.

I will check out your images and installer scripts then from there see how to add my own device driver or android apps.

Thanks

Linux native on iconia a200

Hello to every body

I found an boot.img file that I was flash with fastboot on my a200, this modified boot allow me to diseable the boot from mmcblk0p0 partition on my internal storage device, and boot from mmcblk1p2 partition on my external sdcard.

I was try with ubuntu 10.x first time, I can get input device support and touchscreen support, when I connect the usb keyboard do not work.

So I was try debian test edition, I was get usb support for keyboard and mouse device. I can get support for touchscreen.

I can get support for wireless card, the firmware for it appear to be on the kernel but lshw -c network show me that wlan0 is disabled and I can get to up it. so I can get update or upgrade the system, I will try to install some .deb manually download its depends one by one.

Libre office works perfectly, I get more memory support, I mean on android I get 700 Mb of RAM memor, on Debian I get about 900 Mb.

I just have a 2Gb sdcard so I can not install so much aplications right now.

Can somebody help me get wireless support for my device?

Thanks

Remove Ads