Thread: [HOW TO] Fix Play Store Compatibility Issues with LCD Density Modder Pro

Thanks

Lightbulb [HOW TO] Fix Play Store Compatibility Issues with LCD Density Modder Pro

Introduction
    Like others, I’ve been noticing a suspiciously significant proportion of apps in the Google Play Store showing up as:
    This app is incompatible with your Adam ICS Beta4-ish

So here is a How-To based on a process that theb1rdm4n over at BirdAPI Inc. has built in to his very handy app called:
    • LCD Density Modder Pro
    » https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.dpipro

If you’re as yet unfamiliar with changing the screen resolution of your Android device (as measured in dots-per-inch or dpi), here’s a helpful video from theb1rdm4n himself, based on a previous version of his app:
    • LCD Density Modder Pro - Overview
    » video, 5:23 – LCD Density Modder Pro - Overview - YouTube

From personal experience, with much welcome help from TR members, I’ve discovered the advantages of taking control of my device’s screen resolution. For instance, in the Google Play Store the BBC’s iPlayer app showed up as incompatible (and therefore non-installable) at the Adam’s default 120 dpi; but at 140 dpi it not only shows up as compatible, but it also installs and runs perfectly – for more info, please see:
    • Yes Indeedy, We CAN Haz BBC iPlayer!
    » BBC iPlayer App – ¿Y U No Run? post #9

At the time of writing, the ‘LCD Density Modder Pro’ version number is 2.4.2 and while the [ Fix Market Compatibility Issues ] button in the free ‘LCD Density Modder’ version only prompts you to buy the Pro version, it is relatively inexpensive (£1.99 UKP) and of great use value, IMHO.

So, let’s try using the ‘LCD Density Modder Pro’ app’s [ Fix Market Compatibility Issues ] button, and see if it works.

NB#1: these posts contain eleven illustrations; if you login to TabletROMs with the [F Connect] or [Log in] buttons at the top of this webpage, the illustrations will appear in place, in glorious technicolor.

NB#2: ‘LCD Density Modder Pro’ requires root access. If you’re not sure if your device is rooted, you can check it with Joey Krim’s…
    • Root Check Basic
    » https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...krim.rootcheck
    And if you’ve an Adam tablet you need to root, you can use…
    • Repacked Superuser Root for Adam
    » Repacked Superuser for Adam ICS Apha

Test Case Baseline
    In the thread...
    » ICS Beta 3 - Can't download many apps - is it the PQ screen?
    …Mastiff in Norway nominated an app by Good Mood Droid...
    • GMD GestureControl Lite ★ root
    » https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...urecontroldemo
    …as an incompatible-at-120-dpi candidate for testing purposes.

On my Adam tablet, under ICS CM9-Beta4ish, at its default 120 dpi screen resolution, here’s what I see from the Google Play Store website:
    01-GMD-GC-Fail.jpg

Step-By-Step
    Android Market became Google Play Store in early 2012, as acknowledged within the process itself:
    02-FixMarketMethods-Screen.jpg

1. Make sure you have a recent full ROM backup!
    — I did a ‘Backup all user apps and system data’ run in TitaniumBackup, plus a sync of backup data to Dropbox, and finally a Nandroid backup from ClockworkMod Recovery; thankfully, the process ran so smoothly that no restores were required.

2. Select the DPI value you want the Play Store to think you have.
    — Without any hint as to what an appropriate DPI value would be in order to maximise Play Store app compatibility, other than reading of a few fellow Adamistas mentioning 140 in diverse threads, that’s what I’d like to set initially.
    — But the drop-down menu only has four choices:
    • LDPI - 120
    • MDPI - 160
    • HDPI - 240
    • XHDPI - 320
    — So I’ll try ‘MDPI - 160’ first off
    03-DPI-choices.jpg

3. Download modded Play Store apk. (Size ~3.8 MB)
    — It’s ‘Google Play Store 3.5.9 (8011019)’ that i have running and backed up (source: ‘Gapps --- 4/29 --- Click Here!’ from thread ‘Android 4.0.X for ADAM [WIP][AOSP/CM]’, ie: ‘gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip’ from…
    » Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
    — Click on the [ Download Modded Play Store ] button, and this alert pops up:
    04-Download-Mod-Alert.jpg

— After clicking on ‘Accept’, there follows two alerts, mentioning a ‘System sanity check…’ and some ‘Downloading…’

4. Download modded GSF apk. (Optional, but needed for permanent compatibility) (Size ~2.1 MB)
    — It’s ‘Google Services Framework 4.0.4-299849 (15)’ that i have both installed and backed up
    — Click on the [ Download Modded GSF ] button, and this alert pops up:
    05-READ-THIS-Alert.jpg

— After clicking on ‘Accept’, there follows two alerts, mentioning another ‘System sanity check…’ and some more ‘Downloading…’

[cont'd...]
    Last edited by dalinian; 06-01-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added (£1.99 UKP)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dalinian For This Useful Post:

blutze (06-01-2012), Dreamer... (06-08-2012), dune (05-31-2012), rubberduh (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    [...cont'd]

5. Install modded Play Store apk and modded GSF apk.
    — The screen now displays the filenames of the pair of downloaded mod files:
    06-Mod-Files-List.jpg

— Clicking on the [ Install Mods ] button brings up this alert:
    07-Install-Mod-Alert.jpg

— After clicking on ‘Install’, there follows two alerts, mentioning a final ‘System sanity check…’ and some ‘Installing Modded Play Store and GSF…’
    —Two alerts appear, saying ‘Unfortunately, com.android.vending has stopped.’ and ‘Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped.’
    — A Reboot alert pops up:
    08-Reboot-Alert.jpg

— After clicking on ‘Reboot’, a reboot does indeed ensue, including an ‘Android is Upgrading…’ alert; after the reboot ends, the presentation of a ‘Location Services’ alert occurs, as well as an ‘Updates available – 2 updates found’ notification.

Has This Worked?
    Time to test if steps 1-5 have done the right thing…

On 1st run after the reboot, my ‘Play Store’ home screen button brings up…
    09-Market-to-PlayStore.jpg

…and a consent giving dialog box, then shows the ‘Google Play’ store shopfront. I locate ‘GMD GestureControl Lite ★ root’ app, and it’s looking good:

10-GMD-GC-Win1-gimp.jpg

…so let’s double-check reported compatibility with the ‘Play Store’ website – and sho’nuff, on both the Adam and on my MacBook:

[cont'd...]

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dalinian For This Useful Post:

Dreamer... (06-08-2012), dune (05-31-2012), rubberduh (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    [...con't]

11-GMD-GC-Win2.jpg

SUCCESS!
    I hit [ Install ] in the the ‘Play Store’ website in Opera Mobile on the Adam, and there follows a perfectly bog-standard download-install-1st-run process for the ‘GMD GestureControl Lite ★ root’ app.

So it seems optional step 6, to rectify a missing to troublesome Play Store after the reboot, wasn’t needed for me. And step 7’s [ Delete All Downloaded Files ] button does just that.

On the evidence so far, I’m optimistic that theb1rdm4n may well have created a permanent solution to the ‘This app is incompatible with your [Device]’ problem, for which I anticipate becoming ever more grateful over time. My skepticism gland warns against extrapolating from a sample size of one, but if this guide has helped you to choose to try out this process too, please do feel free to share your experiences of success or failure by posting below.

Share-&-Enjoy, Dalinian

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dalinian For This Useful Post:

Dreamer... (06-08-2012), dune (05-31-2012), kwilson73 (05-31-2012), rolrol (06-01-2012), rubberduh (06-01-2012), sandervanzijl (06-01-2012)

Thanks
    Hello Dalinian - I don't even see the iPlayer app in the Play app - do you mean the Play store on the Web?

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

NotionInk Adam PixelQi / 3G (PO1) Powered by Borkata's Liquidsmooth KitKat
    Google Nexus 10 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 7 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 4 Rooted - Stock KitKat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenI View Post
    I don't even see the iPlayer app in the Play app - do you mean the Play store on the Web?
    Hey GreenI – hmmm... I see 'BBC iPlayer' app in both the Google Play Store...
    » https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...player.android
    ...and in the 'Play Store' app on my Adam.

I'm accessing the net via a BT Infinity fibre optic connection in the UK, which might be a factor, whereas I see you're in France.

Quote Originally Posted by dalinian View Post
    Proletarian Internationalism
    IIRC, the BBC are trying their hardest to act like despicable Little Englander nationalists and limit iPlayer accessibility to UK residents. See, for instance:
    • BBC iPlayer > Overseas availability
    » BBC iPlayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, as mentioned there, “many people outside the UK circumvent that rule by buying a virtual private network account with an IP address located in the UK”, and in this very thread, blutze says of it, “With Proxy no Problem in Germany”.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenI View Post
    Hello Dalinian - I don't even see the iPlayer app in the Play app - do you mean the Play store on the Web?
    If you don't see the player in market install market enabler apk and choose O2 uk or Vodafone

http://apk-apps.blogspot.de/2011/12/...8-apk-app.html
    Last edited by blutze; 06-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    PQi G3 WiFi GPS Microphone
    Benchmark 2272
    JB Beta1

Playbook 64gb

Thanks
    OK - so I went to the Play Store website and searched for iPlayer. In the Play Store my Adam is identified as "Unknown NotionInk Adam " and I didn't get the incompatibility message. I choose install then waited. Installed OK (version 1.3).

Turned on my VPN (so I could be seen as in the UK) - ran iPlayer.
    I was redirected to iPlayer website saying device not compatible.
    Changed dpi to 140 - rebooted and retried ......success!!!

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

NotionInk Adam PixelQi / 3G (PO1) Powered by Borkata's Liquidsmooth KitKat
    Google Nexus 10 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 7 Rooted - Stock KitKat
    Google Nexus 4 Rooted - Stock KitKat

Remove Ads