Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dalinian
  • 1 Post By sandervanzijl
  • 2 Post By dalinian

Thread: ICS Beta – Spelling Correction Fail?

Thanks

Question ICS Beta – Spell-Check & Text Replacement Fail?

On my Adam1 tablet I’m running the official Notion Ink Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Beta [1], hosted at notionink.com, dating from 18 Feb 2012, installed by following the instructions posted by Rohan Shravan on the NI blog:
    » Adam Beta (Tomorrow) Today! « Notion Ink

The ‘Improved text input and spell-checking’ of ICS is described at android.com under that sub-heading here:
    » Android - Introducing Ice Cream Sandwich

There’s a specific illustration, captioned ‘A spell-checker lets you find errors and fix them faster’, which shows what should happen if you tap on a mis-spelling of ‘sanfrancisco’:
    text-replace.png
    » screenshot – http://www.android.com/images/ics/text-replace.png

With ‘Settings > Language & input > Spelling correction’ switched on, if I enter well-spelled text into a text processing app such as ColorNote or Evernote, then nearly every word is underlined in red – ie: a false indication of mass mis-spelling. If I tap on a red-underlined word, instead of seeing a context menu listing one or more spelling suggestions, I only see ‘+ add to dictionary’ and ‘x delete’:
    Adam-ICS-Beta-Spelling-Fail.jpg
    » 2 screenshots – http://bit.ly/ICSbetaTextReplaceFail

With ‘Settings > Language & input > Spelling correction’ switched off, the red underlining is no longer displayed.

This sub-optimal behavior prompts a trio of questions:

1. Is there a quick-fix solution I can carry out, or is this a systemic failure with the official Notion Ink Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Beta?

2. Does spell checking and text replacement work correctly in the CM9-BETA4ish ROM?

3. If ICS spell checking and text replacement can be made to work correctly on my Adam by adding a file or two (eg: an ‘English (United Kingdom)’ dictionary file), could somebody please share the relevant file(s) and let me know where the folder into which they should be copied resides?

This issue does not appear to have been noted at either the tabletroms.com Adam forums nor the adamICS github; if posts to this thread do not resolve this issue, I’ll post it to the github.

Thanks in advance for your attention, expertise, and assistance,

Peace-&-Love, Dalinian

[1] I’m running the official Notion Ink Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Beta – I lack both access to a {Windoze | Linux} PC and the hacker-style skills required to install the CM9-BETAs 2 to 4ish available at tabletroms.com:
    » Android 4.0.X for ADAM [WIP][AOSP/CM]

UPDATE
    Thanks to sandervanzijl (post #7), it seems the like ICS spell-checker & text correction functionality is working correctly in English at CM9-BETA3, so there's no need for me to post this as a new open issue to The ICS Team's github.
    Last edited by dalinian; 05-22-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: re-titling for clarity; copy editing; UPDATE addition

Resident
    Thanks
    To allow every man an unbounded freedom of speech must always be, on the whole, advantageous to the State, for it is highly conducive to the interests of the community that each individual should enjoy a liberty perfectly unlimited of expressing his sentiments - Begging the question
    Very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note AND Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8")

Regular
    Thanks
    would you feel comfortable installing another keyboard from the market?
    that would probably solve your problem.

personally i am using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...me.latin&hl=nl
    in the thumb keyboard mode.
    you can select the spelling language by a swipe on the spacebar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sandervanzijl View Post
    would you feel comfortable installing another keyboard from the market?
    that would probably solve your problem.
    Hey Sander, thanks for your alt.keyboard workaround suggestion. In fact, I found my keyboard of choice back in the Honeycomb era:
    • Hacker's Keyboard
    » hackerskeyboard - Hacker's Keyboard, a 5-row keyboard using full PC key layout for Android tablets or phones - Google Project Hosting
    In combination with the ‘dict-uk’ English completion dictionary, it certainly makes typing quicker and more accurate.

However, it’s still an add-on, and the issue I’m raising here is to do with what should be an extremely useful core ICS functionality – system-wide spell-checking and text correction – but that seems to be missing in the NI ICS Beta on their Adam tablet.
    Last edited by dalinian; 05-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dalinian View Post
    but that seems to be missing in the NI ICS Beta on their Adam tablet.
    I cannot confirm it, because i am using the mrDeadlockRoms myself. however, it is not uncommon for beta's to have missing functionality.
    that is why they are called beta's. flashing a beta means you accept these possible problems. if it was presented as a finished product you would have a valid point.
    so for these kinds of remarks you would have to revert to using official roms, and check if in the official roms the same things have problems.
    the camera is a good example. this only works in the official android 2 roms. as long as it is not working you can only download beta's.

I am not sure if you feel up to it, but it would be helpful to see if the adams can be flashed by using virtualbox or similar software on a mac.
    this would need skills like: installing and setting up virtual box, installing an operating system, installing drivers etc.
    might be a good way of trying to learn hacker style skills :-)

Thanks
    It is not uncommon for betas to have missing functionality. That is why they are called betas. Flashing a beta means you accept these possible problems. If it was presented as a finished product you would have a valid point.
    Thanks, but I’m fully cognisant of the purpose of beta testing in the software release life cycle model. Indeed, the whole saga of owning an Adam tablet feels like one long beta testing marathon.

The point of this thread is to establish if one of the core usability features of vanilla ICS, missing in the initial official NI ICS beta release of 18 Feb 2012 (aka the ‘CM9-ADAM-BETA-AIO’ ROM at tabletroms.com), has been restored in one of the subsequent unofficial tabletroms.com CM9-BETA[N] releases. If so, there’s no need for me to flag the deficit on The ICS Team’s ‘adamICS’ github; otherwise, I’ll play my part as a beta tester, and post it to the github as a new open issue that needs the attention of The ICS Team.

I cannot confirm it, because i am using the mrDeadlockRoms myself.
    Since MrDeadLock is an active and much appreciated member of The ICS Team, does this mean that the ROM you are using is one of…
    • CM9-BETA2
    • CM9-BETA3
    • CM9-BETA4ish
    • as described here » Android 4.0.X for ADAM [WIP][AOSP/CM]
    …?

If so, please confirm which one, and whether or not the ICS spell-checker and text replacement facility is working properly.

The request above also goes out to other Adam users who are currently running any of these ROMs (especially CM9-BETA4ish).

I am not sure if you feel up to it, but it would be helpful to see if the Adams can be flashed by using VirtualBox or similar software on a Mac. This would need skills like: installing and setting up VirtualBox, installing an operating system, installing drivers etc. Might be a good way of trying to learn hacker style skills :-)
    I do very much appreciate your gentle, goal-centred encouragement – to which I normally respond quite well.

And I’d not be starting from scratch – I have VitualBox installed on my MacBook Pro, and both TinyXP-Rev10 and Ubuntu-9.10 virtual machines set up. Maybe you’re right, and perhaps I should bite the bullet, in attempting to use an OS with which I’m unfamiliar to upgrade my Adam. But, damn, when owners of Android phones and tablets from the likes of Samsung, Asus, and Motorola are enjoying easy-to-install ICS upgrades, having to face the prospect of this technological hurdle sure does stoke up the resentment against Mr Shravan and his deceitful weasel words.
    Last edited by dalinian; 05-21-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: copy-editing for clarity
    dune likes this.

Regular
    Thanks

Talking

Since MrDeadLock is an active and much appreciated member of The ICS Team, does this mean that the ROM you are using is one of…
    • CM9-BETA2
    • CM9-BETA3
    • CM9-BETA4ish
    • as described here » Android 4.0.X for ADAM [WIP][AOSP/CM]
    …?
    I am about to go to beta4-ish however that should not be a big difference.

so i tested this for you. My findings:
    - there is no dutch spellchecker. the behaviour defaults to no spellchecking
    - the English spell check seems to work fine (installed colornote just for this test)

you could try checking if your spell correction is set to english (so you need to set your language to english, your spellchecker, and maybe even your keyboard settings, to get correct spell checking) you could have a problem if your corrections are set to system default.

But, damn, when owners of Android phones and tablets from the likes of Samsung, Asus, and Motorola are enjoying easy-to-install ICS upgrades, having to face the prospect of this technological hurdle sure does stoke up the resentment against Mr Shravan and his deceitful weasel words.
    ha, try to let those silly owners do anything more than turn on their tablet and fire up internet, and they will be running to us adam users who know the operating system in and out.

rooting? in my sleep! new rom? during breakfast!
    Last edited by sandervanzijl; 05-21-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    dalinian likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sandervanzijl For This Useful Post:

dalinian (05-22-2012)

Thanks

Issue Resolved - no github submission required

Hey Sander, many thanks for checking the ICS spell-checker & text correction functionality on your Adam - sounds like it's working correctly in English at CM9-BETA3, so there's no need for me to post this as a new open issue to The ICS Team's github.

ha, try to let those silly [{Samsung | Asus | Motorola}] owners do anything more than turn on their tablet and fire up internet, and they will be running to us adam users who know the operating system in and out.

rooting? in my sleep! new rom? during breakfast!
    ROFL! IMO, that's kinda like saying “Ha! Let those silly owners of reliable cars from renowned manufacturers do anything more than turn on their engine and drive from A to B. I drive a break-down-waiting-to-happen from a doomed Indian start-up, and it's forced me to become a competent amateur roadside mechanic, who knows the drivetrain in and out. Head gasket replacement? In my sleep! New crankshaft? During breakfast!”

l am authentically pleased that you are embracing your geekdom, and celebrating your skills, as well you should. Yet I'd say it takes a maniacal optimist to promote the skills-learned-in-adversity aspect of a fifth rate dark cloud product as its silver lining virtue.

Although I've made much use of my Adam, I feel it's only ever given me a small glimpse of how magnificent an Android tablet could be. So I'm now sizing up which ICS phablet will replace both it and my Nokia N900:
    » Samsung Galaxy Note - Android 2.3 - 8MP - 5.3-inch WXGA HD sAMOLED - Samsung UK -
    » ASUS - Mobile- ASUS PadFone
    …neither of which use an Nvidia SoC.

I very much doubt the learning-disabled NI will ever be on my tech radar again.
    kwilson73 and dune like this.

Thanks
    I'm on ICS Beta 5 and came across this problem. The fix I ultimately found was to do the following:

1) Download a clean copy of LatinIME.apk. I got mine (and this process) from the following site: [APPs] [ROOT] CM9 LatinIME, Stock ICS Browser - xda-developers

2) Place the downloaded file in your System\App directory. There should already be a file by that name in that directory. Delete it before copying or overwrite that file with the one you downloaded.

3) Reboot your tablet.

That's it! I can use any keyboard and it works for me. No more underlines on simple, properly spelled words.
    Adam PQi+3g (pre-order 2), on Borkata's CM9 ICS ROM until JellyBean gets ADHOC support

Remove Ads