Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By domlazz

Thread: ICS Settings Recommendations for the Over 40 Crowd

Thanks

ICS Settings Recommendations for the Over 40 Crowd

Ok, I'll admit it: my eyes just couldn't get used to the 120 DPI wonder that is Adam on the Super Great ICS CM9 Beta Goodness ROM. Even with the font settings at "Huge" (found at Settings/System/Font Size), things were a bit too small for my liking, especially on software that hadn't been updated to tablet standards.

So I found a workaround and I thought I'd share.

Things You'll Need:
    1) Apex Launcher (found here: [APP] Apex Launcher Beta (Android 4.0+) - xda-developers)
    2) LCD Density Modder (found in the Market)
    3) 30 minutes of free time (found when your boss and/or significant other and/or child(ren) aren't looking)

The Short Info:
    Install the two programs. Set your Apex launcher's grid to 6 columns x 6 rows. Use LCD Density Modder to set your DPI at 140. Set your system font to Normal. Reboot and enjoy.

The Long Info:
    The first thing to do is get Apex Launcher. Somebody mentioned this a few days ago in the main thread (props to them). It handles the font and icon sizes of the home screen better than the stock launcher. Apex is pretty customizable, so I like it in general. It makes enough of a difference that I almost stopped here. But, I still needed some larger fonts on some program menus and whatnot. Before going to the next step, I set up my screen with 7 columns and 6 rows. After I went to the next step, I settled on 6 x 6. What you'll end up with depends on what DPI and font settings you like. You'll see what I mean later.

Now go get LCD Density Modder and set your DPI to something larger than the ICS standard of 120. 160, which is what we had in old ROMs, is way too huge. I settled on 140 DPI, but almost went with 130 or 135. What you need to know is that a larger number makes all the fonts and icons larger. It also theoretically makes your screen look like it's lower resolution, but let's face it: Adam's screen is not great shakes, so I couldn't see any difference in image quality. Just size. Things look bigger! When you're done modifying your DPI, you'll have to reboot. So reboot already.

When Adam comes back up, all will look very big and nice. It might even look too big, like it did on mine. This is when you go back to your Settings and change the System Font Size to something smaller. That's right, this works so well you'll get to decrease the system font size a bit. Go to your Settings, then click on System, and then click on Font size. Choose what you want and you'll see the difference immediately.

Finally, you'll want to spend the next half hour playing with the various combinations available to you. Set a smaller DPI and increase the System Font size, for instance. It's all easy to do and you'll get to pick what works for your eyes and needs. For me, these settings work because they make EZ PDF Reader's annotation menus much easier to read. If I didn't use that program, I'd probably go with the 130 DPI and Large Font settings. Also, the recommended combination makes the date and time in the Notification Bar look right. With some combinations, they would overlap weirdly. Oh, and with some of the DPI combinations, it will look better with a different grid pattern. Find a font size that works for you and then dial in the grid pattern.

Have fun.

Oh, a quick note: sometimes when I was playing with the settings combinations, I'd get just a blank home screen like all my Apps disappeared and going to the Apps folders just brought up a blank screen. Reboot and everything will work fine. I promise. I haven't had any crashes or anything weird happen after getting everything set up.
    Adam PQi+3g (pre-order 2), on Borkata's CM9 ICS ROM until JellyBean gets ADHOC support

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to domlazz For This Useful Post:

DeeCee (03-06-2012), Gallan (03-06-2012), mthand (03-07-2012), RahulH (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    I have used an app called LCD Resolution to adjust my dpi that worked very well. Very nice write up. If I was over 40 I would jump at the chance to follow your instructions. But since I am not, and your instructions are only for those who are, I will not even attempt it. :-)
    Notion Ink ADAM LCD/wifi
    Cromnia Rom was my favorite.
    Loved using VEGAn-GE-Adam.
    Currently running Jelly Bean - Beta 1

Regular
    Thanks
    It's only my eyes that over 40

Sent from my Notion Ink ADAM using Tapatalk
    Tablet: Notion Ink Adam PQi 3G, EdenX 2.7 ( I Need all three senses!) rockn back and forth with ICS
    Phone: Still the (google nexus) One, rooted CM7 or Miui

Lurker no more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilson73 View Post
    I have used an app called LCD Resolution to adjust my dpi that worked very well. Very nice write up. If I was over 40 I would jump at the chance to follow your instructions. But since I am not, and your instructions are only for those who are, I will not even attempt it. :-)
    Patience, my child. Patience. You'll be old one day soon enough.
    kwilson73 likes this.
    Adam PQi+3g (pre-order 2), on Borkata's CM9 ICS ROM until JellyBean gets ADHOC support

Thanks
    I resent that you made these instructions for those of us that are over 40. How dare you?

Anyways, while I think the icons are to small I don't have any real issue with the text even with my over 40 eyes. lol
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
    I resent that you made these instructions for those of us that are over 40. How dare you?

Anyways, while I think the icons are to small I don't have any real issue with the text even with my over 40 eyes. lol
    You're lucky. But you really might like the Apex launcher. It fixes the icon size problem nicely.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by domlazz View Post
    You're lucky. But you really might like the Apex launcher. It fixes the icon size problem nicely.
    On your recommendation I am using apex launcher, but I'm getting alot of "launcher speed working" notices, especially after the tablet has been through a few sleep wake cycles. I didn't get that using Nova launcher. Nova has boger icons than the stock browser but not as big as Apex. For now still looking.

Tablet: Notion Ink Adam PQi 3G, EdenX 2.7 ( I Need all three senses!) rockn back and forth with ICS

Lurker no more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    On your recommendation I am using apex launcher, but I'm getting alot of "launcher speed working" notices, especially after the tablet has been through a few sleep wake cycles. I didn't get that using Nova launcher. Nova has boger icons than the stock browser but not as big as Apex. For now still looking.

Hmmm... I've never seen any errors like that. No errors of any kind related to Apex, as a matter of fact. I guess, as always, your mileage may vary.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by domlazz View Post
    Hmmm... I've never seen any errors like that. No errors of any kind related to Apex, as a matter of fact. I guess, as always, your mileage may vary.
    It's just updated out of beta. So we will see. Beware that Google Play says it is not compatible with the Adam and will not download it. At one point I was given the option to download apex using the browser which I did. I hope the off market DL will still be available now that this is officially a market product.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Lurker no more!

Remove Ads