Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Working NI Adam ICS ADHOC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeadlocked View Post
    Just fyi jl, this will break when we (if we) get bcmdhd working. Same way it doesn't work for like the xoom guys.
    Confirmed, this does not work with the beta releases. The wifi drivers were updated with the new kernel and this broke the hack. I looked into it a bit and it seems that wpa_supplicant is not even getting the ssid of the adhoc network anymore although it is getting other networks.

I did find that the beta release of Wireless Tether for root users (for phone side of things) does allow me to tether to my Samsung Intercept in Infrastructure (AP) mode with no changes to ICS Beta.

One option for those needing adhoc would be a build that used the older wifi driver (bcm4329) instead of the newer driver (bcmdhd).
    Last edited by jl7854; 02-19-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    jl7854, some tether apps will allow you to change that setting... If your phone's WiFi chip supports it.
    Unfortunately the WiFi chip in the Droid1 doesn't support Infrastructure mode broadcasting. I'm stuck with no tethering for the time being.
    Even so, I'll be keeping the CM9 Beta as my daily driver. I am near WiFi often enough that I can get away with it these days.

How much work it would take to get the new bcmdhd driver patched for AdHoc? Is it something you plan on looking into?

Side note: The Wireless Tether for root users app got canned on Verizon. They crippled it somehow. In my quest to find another working tether app I found Open Garden. It looks like it is exactly the same app (interface looks almost identical), except that they have added a toggle 1X1 widget. It's very nice.
    Phone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus Liquid JB ROM
    Tab: NI Adam (PQi WiFi) CM10

JELLY BEEEEAAAANNN!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theman View Post
    jl7854, some tether apps will allow you to change that setting... If your phone's WiFi chip supports it.
    Unfortunately the WiFi chip in the Droid1 doesn't support Infrastructure mode broadcasting. I'm stuck with no tethering for the time being.
    Even so, I'll be keeping the CM9 Beta as my daily driver. I am near WiFi often enough that I can get away with it these days.

How much work it would take to get the new bcmdhd driver patched for AdHoc? Is it something you plan on looking into?

Side note: The Wireless Tether for root users app got canned on Verizon. They crippled it somehow. In my quest to find another working tether app I found Open Garden. It looks like it is exactly the same app (interface looks almost identical), except that they have added a toggle 1X1 widget. It's very nice.
    Up until yesterday I did not think my Intercept supported it. I am not with verizon so hopefully I will be ok. I really do not use it that often anyway. I built my own CM9-kanged zip which is quite nice (did not want to to do the nvflash thing). Hopefully it is similar to what mrdeadlocked built as far as features.

As far as the driver, I am not even sure what is going on. The patch is in wpa_supplicant, which is still being used. I can get debug info from it. AdHoc networks no longer show up in the scan. I thought the difference was that the previous driver used WEXT and the new driver uses nl80211. I did find a bug report for linux but that is about connecting and for linux. Also this git hub commit seems more promising. Perhaps one of the kernel devs might look into it. I may try next weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jl7854 View Post
    Up until yesterday I did not think my Intercept supported it. I am not with verizon so hopefully I will be ok. I really do not use it that often anyway. I built my own CM9-kanged zip which is quite nice (did not want to to do the nvflash thing). Hopefully it is similar to what mrdeadlocked built as far as features.

As far as the driver, I am not even sure what is going on. The patch is in wpa_supplicant, which is still being used. I can get debug info from it. AdHoc networks no longer show up in the scan. I thought the difference was that the previous driver used WEXT and the new driver uses nl80211. I did find a bug report for linux but that is about connecting and for linux. Also this git hub commit seems more promising. Perhaps one of the kernel devs might look into it. I may try next weekend.
    Its not just that the bcmdhd driver by default has some extra filtering etc for adhoc. Also this release will be the only on requirung nvflsashing, and that's due to the system being expanded. (An obvious necessity when cm9 was most of the 200 mb stock size) and gapps (as anormal gapps) brought it up or over the 200 mb limit.
    If you like my work, add to my PC PAYOFF FUND.

THANKS!!

Thanks
    Also, last I looked before the busy weekend, we had some cross communicationwith the xoom guys about adhoc on bcmdhd.

THANKS!!

Thanks
    I had the same problem finding the wireless teather for root users app. But instead of looking for another one, I dowlnoaded it on my adam and did a titanium backup and restored it on my droid 1 :-D. I'm usually fine without it as well, but there are for sure times that would be nice to have it back.

Thanks
    Open garden is great. Wifi tether will always be hosted on google code for download

THANKS!!

Thanks
    hi guys,
    I tried to follow the steps but the end result is that now the wifi doesnt work.

i read this one
    Enable Ad Hoc On Notion Ink Adam Running Ice Cream Sandwich [How To]
    and used your zip

the device is recognize by the pc
    the prompt says:
    list of devices
    0123456789ABCDEF device

then when i enter in the wpa directory and type the code i have as answer
    no such file or directory (for the first two strings)
    and nothing for the third

I have also tried to restore
    Factory data
    but nothing, wifi isnt available

Thanks
    This only worked with ICS Alpha (see first post). We were using a different wifi driver then. New Kernel + New Driver = ADHOC not working now.

Thanks
    doh!
    and if i try with wifi ad hoc app?
    or something else that allows me to see my phone hotspot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads