Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Detailed Guide - Installing ICS - NI Adam

Thanks

Exclamation Detailed Guide - Installing ICS - NI Adam

Note that this guide builds from the process I use to blow away everything on the Adam. I do this to guarantee a "start from scratch" install. All this formatting and wiping seems redundant, but folks have reported that sometimes just a single wipe and/or format doesn't seem to remove all the old items for some reason. So, this approach is a safety precaution, basically, to ensure you are really starting as fresh as possible. As such, note that you can skip steps like all the wipes, try to load the ROM from a different Recovery app, etc. However, I can't say what those variations will do for your final build. Following these steps, I've installed a solid, stable ICS every time.

Also, comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome as I believe collaboration will bring about an even better set of instructions.

Detailed steps for installing ICS:

1. Back up your data if there's anything on your Adam you want to save. You can use Titanium Backup to successfull backup and restore to ICS (I've tested on several user apps, including data).
    2. Ensure the Adam is plugged in, and some recommend ensuring it's at a full charge before flashing a ROM.
    3. Download the necessary files and put them on a microSD card. All except NVflash are in the first post of the http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/ice...osp-cm%5D.html thread
      This includes:
      1. NVflash (I download from Eden 1.5: Update instruction using NVFlash - Windows)
      2. ClockWork Mod Recovery (often called CWM; rename this file to update.ZIP)
      3. DEADcreme or ICS alpha (the actual ROMs; you can download both, but you will only use one. Specifically, the ICS alpha is not Rooted, meaning apps such as Titanium backup won't work, while DEADcreme is rooted)
      4. Gapps for ADAM (this stands for Google Apps and includes apps like Gmail)
    4. Follow the NVflash process EXACTLY as detailed in the thread above. This replaces any Recovery you have on the device with stock Notion Ink and loads Eden 1.5. After the load, your device may hang at the boot animation. This is not a problem, as you're going to blow this away anyway...Very important, however, is that you disconnect the USB cable after the NVflash is complete.
    5. Power the device off, place the microSD card in the Adam if it's not already there, then power it back on while holding the Volume+ button (volume rocker up). This boots the Adam into Recovery.
    6. In the recovery menu, select Install update.zip from external SD Card. This replaces the stock NI recovery with the CWM version you downloaded earlier. Power off the Adam after this is complete.
    7. Reboot the machine into recovery mode again, as in step 5. From the CWM recovery menu, do the following:
      1. Wipe data three times
        Menu directions: Select <wipe data/factory reset> then <Yes -- delete all user data>
      2. Wipe the cache three times
        Menu directions: Select <wipe cache partition> then <Yes - Wipe Cache>
      3. Format the cache, data, sdcard (NOT sdcard-ext!), and system. DO NOT format Boot
        Menu directions: Select <mounts and storage> then <format /> as appropriate then <Yes - Format>
      4. Install the ROM of your choice from the external microSD
        Menu directions: Select <install zip from sdcard> then <choose zip from sdcard> then <External SD card> then either <DEADcreme.zip> or <adam_AlphaICS.zip> then <Yes - Install ...> as appropriate
      5. Install GAPPS
        Menu directions: Select <install zip from sdcard> then <choose zip from sdcard> then <External SD card> then <Google_apps_adam.zip> then <Yes - Install Google_apps_adam.zip>
      6. Wipe the data and cache as in a. and b. above--DO NOT use the Format options as in c.
      7. Wipe the Dalvik cache
        Menu directions: Select <advanced> then <Wipe Dalvik Cache> then <Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache>
      8. Wipe the battery stats
        Menu directions: Select <advanced> then <Wipe Battery Stats> then <Yes - Wipe Battery Stats>
      9. Return to the top level menu and reboot the Adam
        Menu directions: Select <reboot system now>
    8. You will see a stream of text (something not seen generally on other ROMs). This is normal. The Adam will also emit a high-pitched sound until the boot animation starts.
    9. After the boot animation, the Adam will come to a screen with prompts to connect to WiFi. Connect to your WiFi, and then set Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep to "Never"
      Menu directions: Tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then select <Advanced> then tap <Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep> then tap <Never>
    10. Sign in to a Google account
    11. After answering a few more questions you'll come to the Android screen
    12. Set your screen lock timeout to zero
      Menu directions: Tap the digital clock in the lower left corner then tap the digital clock in the window the comes up then tap <Settins> scroll down to the Personal section and tap <Security> then tap <Screen lock> then tap <Pattern> after confirming the pattern tap <Automatically lock> then tap <Immediately>
    13. While you are in the Security settings, you can also tap <Unknown sources> if you plan to use Titanium Backup

*Some users are experiencing a power cycle issue with the Gapps for Adam load. If this occurs, you can get an alternate gapps from the ICS Gapps thread.
    Last edited by erian_7; 01-20-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Updated opening statements. Added colors to distinguish menu directions
    Vector66, anc_k, lissing and 1 others like this.
    ADAM (PO1 WiFi LCD) running AOKP for ADAM - Beta 1.1
    ADAM (PO2 3G PQi) running AOSP Android 4.2.1 - Beta1

2. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to erian_7 For This Useful Post:

1of16 (05-04-2012), A3aan (01-21-2012), Alexadam (01-23-2012), BaronGrim (01-22-2012), blackinaction (01-21-2012), boozy (02-18-2012), bundaj (01-24-2012), deegee (03-24-2012), dune (01-21-2012), e052798 (01-30-2012), Fejwin (01-28-2012), Gosu (01-23-2012), Heyday (07-07-2012), jerryaycock (01-20-2012), JonnyBoy (01-21-2012), kcs_chandra (01-21-2012), lissing (01-25-2012), mr_dellboy (01-22-2012), muks (01-23-2012), nrnw (01-20-2012), Pucky (01-25-2012), Ren o Blade (01-24-2012), sirsamiam (01-22-2012), Sisyphus Bond (01-22-2012), south (01-23-2012), tabletron (01-26-2012), tdp (01-20-2012), Trans (06-13-2016), Vector66 (01-20-2012), vt220 (01-23-2012), widget985 (02-11-2012), will765 (01-22-2012), Xtremedf (01-24-2012), zkar (01-28-2012)

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who have worked so hard. It alle works as described.

Thanks
    Point 9: I have set to "allways"
    Point 12: I have set screen loock to "never"

And I never have gotten the sleep bug :-)
    shit happens

Thanks
    It could well be that the sleep bug is simply driven by not having these set, so once they are changed you're fine. The settings above reflect how I'd have mine set up regardless, but if the reverse works that's cool too!
    ADAM (PO1 WiFi LCD) running AOKP for ADAM - Beta 1.1
    ADAM (PO2 3G PQi) running AOSP Android 4.2.1 - Beta1

Thanks

Lightbulb

Because there's always someone that says, "I don't have a microSD, can I do it without an external SD?", yes you can work with the internal SD just fine.

• In step 3: copy/download CWM to the internal SD (renamed update.zip as indicated), and download the other files to you computer.
    • In step 6: select "Install update.zip from internal SD Card".
    • After step 7c: mount USB mass storage and copy the ROM and Gapps zips to the internal SD from your computer. (Menu directions: Select <mounts and storage> then <mount USB storage>).
    • Unmount the USB mass storage, disconnect USB cable, and proceed with step 7d and 7e, selecting <Internal SD card>.

I know that this is pretty obvious for many users, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents to ensure that the guide is completely monkey-proof.

If something in the guide above isn't working for you, read everything again and do it step by step, it works, there's no magic step missing.

Except for these changes I followed the guide step by step and found it very simple, helpful, and completely dead-on, thanks erian_7!! Can I have a banana now?

Thanks
    erian_7. Thanks a lot for your detailed ROM installation guide. I followed it and installed DEADcream. Everything is working but I got one issue for your attention. As you mentioned at step 8, a stream of text with sound appears every time I boot my Adam. You also said it is normal. But my question is normal for initial boot or for each time when you boot. Please advise.

Thanks again.

Alex

Thanks
    Hi what about users having hcs now wanting to download ics will the above steps work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mehul View Post
    Hi what about users having hcs now wanting to download ics will the above steps work?
    It does not matter what flavor of Android OS you are currently running on your Adam, or what Rom you currently have. If you follow the instructions in this post, you will be able to install ICS.
    Notion Ink ADAM LCD/wifi
    Cromnia Rom was my favorite.
    Loved using VEGAn-GE-Adam.
    Currently running Jelly Bean - Beta 1

Thanks
    Thanks for the great post. Question: if you backup to Titanium and then you wipe/format your data and your SD card (internal), how is the Titanium information preserved? Do you need to backup everything to your external SD or is the Titanium stuff stored outside of the areas where you're formatting?
    Adam PQi+3g (pre-order 2), on Borkata's CM9 ICS ROM until JellyBean gets ADHOC support

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by domlazz View Post
    Thanks for the great post. Question: if you backup to Titanium and then you wipe/format your data and your SD card (internal), how is the Titanium information preserved? Do you need to backup everything to your external SD or is the Titanium stuff stored outside of the areas where you're formatting?
    When I recently formatted the internal SD, I lost Titanium's data also. So I would think if you copied it to external, then back to internal after formatting, it should work.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch with Tapatalk
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Teclast X80h dual boot
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads