Thread: No gMovies for rooted devices??!!

Thanks

No gMovies for rooted devices??!!

"Google Won’t Let You Rent a Movie from Android Market If You Have a Rooted Device"

http://gizmodo.com/5804350/google-wo...-rooted-device

"Do no evil"???
    Last edited by Trovatrice; 05-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Nexus One (still my favorite mini-tablet), Adam PixelQi+3g (gone to a new home)... HTC Sensation (waiting for CM7), Nook Touch, LG g-slate

Thanks
    They have to look out for the partners that they are dealing with. This service ain't that great anyhow IMO.

Regular
    Thanks
    Yeah, its a movie industry thing and not really a google thing - so it becomes a google thing when they want to work with the movie industry.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is kind of a fascinating problem. On the one hand there is always a way around it and digital media can be downloaded for free (stolen) easily.... and on the other, creating that media is NOT free and there needs to be a revenue stream for movies to continue being made. Digital delivery seems like a perfect medium to bring prices down to where stealing is no longer as tempting but no one has found a way to do it that really works. Netflix is probably the best example so far with Hulu being close behind. Netflix is like the early days of cable: pay for service and watch all you want commercial free. Hulu is like television: watch for free but you can't skip the commercials. Neither have a DRM scheme other than that its streamed and both services suit the viewer in terms of convenience vs. limitations.

ITunes is a different deal, like the Kindle. That model is "We'll sell and store your purchases for you... but you can only access them on devices that we sell you." That's great as long as you're happy using only devices from that company. And that company continues making devices...

What the consumer wants is a decent quatliy format that they can play on any device they want for a reasonable price. So far the only reliable source for that combination of things has been bittorrent. Meanwhile the various attempts to provide a successful media source do their best to try to meet that demand while lining their pockets. Hence the rooted restriction. The media providers want to make sure every penny that they deserve goes to them.

That's the wrong way to do it, though, especially on an OS that is rooted as often as Android is. All they are doing is narrowing their Android based market. The rest of us will use other services while we wait for that magic combination to materialize somewhere other than P2P sharing.

Thanks
    In an ideal world, they should just let people pay for universal license keys for consumption of the individual work products (with a heftier % going directly to the artists/authors)... Device/player/vendor agnostic... It's ridiculous to spend more time deciding which device/"bookstore"/app/payment method you'd rather use than deciding on the actual content you want They assume that this corralling engenders brand loyalty (or resignation), but (at least for me) it engenders only the urge to boycott! The more open the system, the more willing and likely I am to pay for it! Block one or more of my devices, and I'll go elsewhere to purchase a license to consume the content.
    Nexus One (still my favorite mini-tablet), Adam PixelQi+3g (gone to a new home)... HTC Sensation (waiting for CM7), Nook Touch, LG g-slate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatrice View Post
    In an ideal world, they should just let people pay for universal license keys for consumption of the individual work products (with a heftier % going directly to the artists/authors)... Device/player/vendor agnostic... It's ridiculous to spend more time deciding which device/"bookstore"/app/payment method you'd rather use than deciding on the actual content you want They assume that this corralling engenders brand loyalty (or resignation), but (at least for me) it engenders only the urge to boycott! The more open the system, the more willing and likely I am to pay for it! Block one or more of my devices, and I'll go elsewhere to purchase a license to consume the content.
    Amen +1000

Adam WiFi Pixel Qi

Thanks
    Any work around this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckiii2 View Post
    Any work around this?
    There is a hacked version that will let rooted devices floating around the web. I'm sure a little searching will find it.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

Remove Ads