Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [ROM] HoneycombAdam port for the GTAB, 1.2-based firmware ("Bottle Of Smoke")

Thanks

Post [ROM] HoneycombAdam port for the GTAB, 1.2-based firmware ("Bottle Of Smoke")

Main Link: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/1786...tabletzpad-t2/

This is an almost direct port from the Adam one (with the exception of the kernel). I just tweaked a few things and added some documentation, for GTAB users.

As always, a big THANK YOU to the Adam developers!!!!

LAST UPDATE: 6/21/11. Alpha 6.0, based off the beta VEGAComb and Adam HC16.

EDIT BY ADMIN:: To receive honeycomb updates, please join us on twitter |here|

-------------------------------------

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, Slatedroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running this mod.

A BIG THANK YOU TO MRGUY, DJ_STEVE, Clemsyn, Pershoot and all the Adam and VEGA developers, for this excellent port!!!!! Most of this port comes from what they've created. I'm just tweaking it a little for GTAB users and packaging it. My alpha's are usually equivalent to the comparable Adam build (for the most part).

==================================

What this is

This is the "HoneyCreamAdam" HC mod port for the 1.2-based GTab. This will flash your boot.img, recovery, bootloader and system, so be aware of this. You are also REQUIRED to wipe your user data after you flash to this ROM, so please BACKUP ALL DATA before attempting this.

The 1.2 GTAB dev branch and the Adam dev branch seem to be the same exact branch, and the kernels are (mostly) compatible. And we are currently using Clem's HC-compatible kernel, which is 1.2 branch based.

Recommended Pre-requisites

1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance. nvflash is specific to Tegra 2 devices only. For users on 1.1-based ROMs (ie. stock, VEGAn, gADAM TNT Lite 4 etc.), learning nvflash is HIGHLY recommended as the risk of a soft-brick is higher.

2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM / mod baseline. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing.

Other 1.2-based ROMs should also work safely (ie. Century Eyes, Mountain Laurel, Brilliant Corners). A 1.1-based source is more risky (see below) but is possible and I have tested 3588 stock to BOS directly, with no issues.

Installation for 1.2-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 5 / TwoTapsX / 4349 stock / Century Eyes / Mountain Laurel)

- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.

- Reboot into recovery. The update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.

- The device should take some time to initialize (two to three minutes, so be patient), then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot.

Installation from previous versions of Bottle of Smoke / HoneycreamAdam

Since there's no mount to PC option yet, you can upgrade to each new version via clockworkmod. As of alpha 2.2, cwm is flashed with the HC ROM. So this is my recommendation on how to upgrade:

- Download new version of HC, and extract the update.zip from the RAR file.
    - Run cwm (as of alpha 2.2, I added it to the ROM). Go to Mounts and Storage, then mount USB. The internal memory should now mount to your PC.
    - Add the new update.zip somewhere to your internal memory. What I usually do is create a "backups" folder, drop the version in there and rename it to something more readable like "BOS_Alpha2.2.zip".
    - Unmount the device PC from your PC, then unmount from cwm. Then run the update.zip as you normally would and choose that file you just added.

Btw, as long as you stay on the 1.2 dev branch, you can add 4349 stock or any other 1.2 based ROM in there and use cwm to install, without risk of brickage.

Installation for 1.1-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 4, VEGAN-Tab, G-Harmony, Calkulin's ROM etc.)

- Ensure that your device is running build 3588 standard recovery. This is a requirement to minimize the risk of a soft-brick - I cannot stress this enough! gADAM 1.3.0+ and TNT Lite 4.3.0+ have a Recovery Pack built-in to allow you to easily add standard recovery, if you are using clockworkmod. Do NOT use clockworkmod to flash up to a 1.2-based ROM or you WILL soft-brick your device. For other 1.1-based mods, you can install the 3588 Recovery Pack or flash 3588 standard recovery via an update.zip file. Or, flash to 3588 stock (with stock recovery) for the safest baseline.

I want to stress this, as this is important - BE VERY CAREFUL on a 1.1 source. If you flash with clockworkmod from a 1.1 ROM to a 1.2 ROM like Bottle of Smoke, YOU WILL SOFT-BRICK your tablet 100% of the time. If you are not sure if your device has 3588 stock recovery, don't take the risk -- flash to 3588 stock before you attempt this HC mod!

Other than these caveats, the installation is the same as 1.2 users, above.

Backout

This is a 1.2-based mod and I would recommend that you backout to the latest stock ROM (4349, as of this writing).

If you want to backout to a 1.1-based ROM or mod, you MUST have a standard 1.2-based recovery (like 3991 or 4349). Since this ROM installs a 1.2-friendly clockworkmod, then you need to remove it. Again, running stock 4349 is your best best to get to a "gateway" 1.2 ROM before you jump back to a 1.1 ROM/mod.

Once a standard 1.2-based recovery is confirmed installed, you can use any of the following ROM's to backout to a "legacy" 1.1-based firmware: 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. You would just use the standard instructions for these (ie. add the update.zip and recovery folders to the root of your drive, and reboot into recovery). Other 1.1-based ROM's may not work (ie. VEGAn or any of the GB ROMs), so PLEASE tread carefully here!

I have tested all of these scenarios and the backout does work, most of the time. However, as always, there is a risk here so I would HIGHLY recommend that you setup and master nvflash BEFORE you attempt backing out. That's just in case the backout fails and you need an emergency procedure to unbrick your device.

-------------------------

Downloads

alpha6.0 Link
    : http://www.mediafire.com/?mftq46bwi5srbv0
    md5sum: 77887b14bd16e5df085d729cafeebe66
    (updated 6/21/2011)

Changelog:

(a6.0) Added Pershoot GB kernel. Seems stable so far, adds USB mounting (thus cwm was removed from the ROM, no longer required)
    (a5.2) Based of HC16 -- Gmail possibly working better(?), media scanning is working, Gallery is working for me.
    (a5.1) Still based on a5.0, but fixed the blank browser.
    (a5.0) PULLED due to issues. Updates to reflect Adam HC15 changes (storage is fixed, but we lost the enhanced shutdown screen)
    (a4.1) Sound Settings now work (storage does not, however), tweaked the app selection a bit.
    (a4.0) First attempt to combine aspects of VEGAComb beta 1.5.1 and Adam HC14.
    (a3.3) Tweaked lowmem settings (thanks newbe5!) and added ACER buttons back (thanks absorber!)
    (a3.2) Sleep improved, constant restarts after a data wipe seems to be corrected, as well.
    (a3.1) Fixed the messy dalvik heap size.
    (a3.0) Updated to Adam u14 (this moves from an ACER UI to the ASUS UI).
    (a2.4) Small additions to /data/app (for standard recovery users only, adds additional apps to user data). Added run-parts for Clem. Updated cwm to rev5.
    (a2.3) Updated to Adam u13, moved Books, Maps, Street to /data (won't install with cwm, keep in mind). This freed up another 15MB of space on /system. Gmail / Email are now working, thanks to u13 and the VEGA devs! If you are using cwm, you can sideload the data apps later or get them from the Market.
    (a2.2) Updated to Adam u12, adds the new mod name. Also adding 1.2 bootloader and cwm 3.0.2.8 recovery, for 1.1 jumpers.
    (a2.1) Gapps! At least the Market, and YouTube (again, a big thanks to MrGuy for making that happen!) updated to be based on the Adam update10 image.
    (a2.0) Version 11 Clemsyn kernel added for HC, gsensor fixed (thanks to Zebwen for the tips!), newer snapz54 boot logo.
    (a1.2) Sound! (thanks to HomerSP for the fix, and newbe5 and blazingwolf for testing!), standard video might work (I tested an mp4). Audio includes EQ, which is actually superior to any vendor build I've used.
    ------------------------

Issues / Workarounds (this is still an alpha version with some items outstanding)

See the Tabletroms wiki for an updated list of issues.

- I believe the alpha 4 has an issue mounting the microSD on reboot. "Fix" is to remove, reinsert. This might be due to the introduction of the VEGAComb framework.

- File transfer to PC does not work, but you can get around this issue with clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 (which is now included in this ROM) -- just run cwm, go to mounts and storage and mount USB. Then your internal /sdcard will mount to your PC. Thanks Rev for that useful info!

- I would recommend turning off Compatibility Mode (which is why I added the Spare Parts apk). It will correct screen issues for some apps, and over in XDA it's been said that it might improve Market downloads as well.

- For overclocking, you can use "CPU Master", in the Market (thanks nitefallz!)
    Last edited by roebeet; 06-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to roebeet For This Useful Post:

1tytesc (06-05-2011), blbeach (05-13-2011), Choriskardia (05-22-2011), cjack (05-11-2011), crimton (05-13-2011), ensign.fodder (05-19-2011), luis250 (05-09-2011), milosch (06-23-2011), patne83 (10-29-2011), pbrauer (05-10-2011), rjones36 (06-13-2011), roberthillatrichardson (06-19-2011), SirhanSirhan (05-16-2011), TexRaider (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks roebeet great rom

Thanks

Thank you soo much

You have made my day, normally Tuesdays suck - but I have a good feeling about today now, thanks for your hard work...very awesome.

First Post
    Thanks
    Awesome, great work guys! I can't wait to try it when I get home later tonight.

First Post
    Thanks
    Good tidings.

First Post
    Thanks
    Watching this with great interest.
    My search-fu appears to be broken though. Running CM703 with Clockworkmod.

Pointers on good ways to get to the recommended starting point prior to trying this rom? I'm *assuming* it's to use nvflash to return to stock, but I've no idea where to get the stock items, and I'd rather ask than be wrong.

First Post
    Thanks
    Thanks for working up the HC! I can't believe how quickly you guys were running through the updates! Just got 3.0 loaded up.

(I do prefer the previous softkey look though . . . do we have an option?)
    Last edited by cnathanw; 05-17-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cnathanw View Post
    Thanks for working up the HC! I can't believe how quickly you guys were running through the updates! Just got 3.0 loaded up.

(I do prefer the previous softkey look though . . . do we have an option?)
    Probably not. :P Although many agree with you. Down the road, if the framework can be opened up, maybe we can have our cake and eat it too.

EDIT: "Absorber" in the SLD forums has a fix , already. I'm testing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rebootkid View Post
    Watching this with great interest.
    My search-fu appears to be broken though. Running CM703 with Clockworkmod.

Pointers on good ways to get to the recommended starting point prior to trying this rom? I'm *assuming* it's to use nvflash to return to stock, but I've no idea where to get the stock items, and I'd rather ask than be wrong.
    I have more links in the SLD site (I had some problems with test length here, which might be corrected. Just need to catch up). CM703 is a 1.1 based mod, so you'd follow those instructions. "Safest" way is flash to 3588 stock, and make sure you have stock recovery as well - cwm will NOT work flashing up to 1.2, and you will soft-brick your device.
    Last edited by roebeet; 05-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.

First Post
    Thanks
    I am new to the forum. I must start with saying many thanks to roebeet and other devs for their wonderful work. I have VS gtab 10" and have been trying the new alpha releases. SO far here is what I can share with the group for whatever it's worth: bos a2.4 was the most stable alpha so far in my experience and is almost ready for daily use IMHO. Unfortunately I have not had the same success with bos a3.0 or a3.2! they are less stable than a2.4 and I went back to a2.4 for now, with keeping my eyes on this thread for new releases beyond a3.2+.

In my opinion once a3.x get stabilized, the browser starts supporting flash and youtube supporting HD videos, this is ready for BETA. I'd say Camera is not critical for most folks' daily use.

Thanks
    You can add the fix instructions here, if you'd like. I haven't scanned the entire video yet, but would like to know what the workaround entails. Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads