Thread: Le Pan TC802A Mini Full review

Veteran
    Thanks

Le Pan TC802A Mini Full review

This review has been a little while coming as I have been enjoying the tablet so much. My previous experience with the Le Pan line of tablets told me that this could be a really nice tablet and it didn't lie. Currently the tablet is completely stock and unmodified.

First the basic specifications:

Operation System Google Android 4.2.2
    Processor MTK MT8125, Cortex-A7 (1.2 GHz, Quad-core)
    Memory 1 GB
    Storage 8 GB NAND Flash
    Display Panel IPS Capacitive Multi-touch LCD Screen
    Screen - 8", 1024 X 768
    Network Wi-Fi - Yes, 802.11 b / g / n
    Bluetooth - V4.0 + EDR GPS and E-Compass
    Battery Type - Rechargeable Lithium Battery
    Capacity - 3260 mAh
    Sensors E-Compass
    G-Sensor
    Support Format Audio - AMR / AAC / AAC+ / MP3 / WAV /PCM
    Video - MPEG4 / 3GPP / H.263/ H.264
    Camera 1.2MP Front Webcam
    5.0MP Rear Camera
    Connector Micro USB 2.0
    Headphone - Standard 3.5mm Headphone Jack
    Micro SD Card Slot - Support up to 32 GB

Le Pan has always made a aesthetically pleasing tablet line, although they also never varied far from the original design of the TC970 9.7 in form factor.

The mini is a complete rework in a slender light 8 inch case. There is a slight nod to the old design with the silver edges, but without the raised edge bezel. It has a very light feel, but remains solid in your hands. No case creeks or phantom taps through the back plate.

Front
    Back

It has a simple I/O layout with the power, MicroSD, audio jack, Micro USB, and volume rocker all on the side.

Ports

Sticking to what they do best is the display Le Pan used. A bright crisp IPS screen with excellent viewing angles. When the view is lost it is a slight fade rather than the sepia/monochrome blur of a lot of tablets. 3 people sitting side by side on a couch can easily watch a movie. The lowest quick setting for brightness is a little low but useable. I prefer using the slider in settings. I normally run about 25% and it is more than bright enough. The speaker quality, based on other tablets within the price range is very good. You have to remember this is not Beats Audio but a budget level tablet speakers.

With my Netflix account settings to best there is little to no sync when the movies starts, which brings us to WiFI. While previous Le Pan tablet had good WiFi the 8 TC802A is even better. I can hold a steady -55dBm all around the house. Out to the curb I get -63dBm. The signal is steady with no major spikes or drops.

The Dual cameras are nice. The 5MP rear camera takes great pictures in daylight and good pictures in average room light.

Rear Camera Picture

While not officially supported I have been using a 64GB PNY Class 10 MicroSD with no issues, but I did have some difficulty getting it to recognize at first.

It does come Google Certified with the full suite of apps including Play..

The GPS is pretty strong. I can connect and find satellites much faster then my Excite 10 or the old Le Pan S. The E-compass is sensitive enough to pick up the smallest turns.

The overall performance of the quad core Mediatek MT8125 processor and the PowerVR GPU are very respectable. One of the reasons I purchased the Mini was to try out this combo. Mediatek processors have always been good processors but not always mainstream.

I decided to test the two games that are the most demanding of CPU and GPU. I started with the latest GTA: San Andreas. I set all of the video setting to the maximum and started the game. Much to my surprise it ran nearly perfect. The response to the controls was a little slow so all I had to do was drop the draw distance a little and it was fine.

The second game is one I use all the time as it is difficult to find a tablet it will work at all on, Backstab HD. This Gameloft game has driven me crazy getting to work since I bought it. I have only had one tablet that just played the game no issue. Now I have two. The Mini ran it first try. I believe the game needs a lot of free memory and that is why the only other tablet I have it working on has 2GB. The Mini did force close, but once I dropped some of the video quality settings it worked fine. I had the same issue with Splinter Cell, I may have to dig that one out and give it a try.

This bring me to benchmarks. While benchmarks may not always be translatable to real world application they are still good overall performance indicators for comparison. I decide to use 2 similarly specification tablets for benching. The Sero 7 Pro with the quad core Tegra 3 and the Afunta 8 with the Allwinner A31 and 2GB of RAM.

Testers

I used Antutu Benchmark and Quadrant Standard since they are the most popular. The results were as follows:

Le Pan Mini
    Antutu - 13785 OpenGL 13FPS

Quadrant - 4567

Sero Pro

Antutu - 13456 OpenGL

Quadrant - 4787

Afunta 8

Antutu 12637 OpenGL 13FPS

Quadrant - 3105

You can see the Mediatek MT8125 holds it's own against the much touted Tegra 3 but because of what I mentioned before about real world I added the Antutu OpenGL 3D results. The Mini actually handled the graphics better than the Tegra 3. If you note the Afunta score it too also uses a PowerVR GPU .

Battery life is above average for the price range. I have yet to run a complete pon to dead.

Over all the Le Pan Mini does not disappoint. The design can easily fit in a work environment and the performance makes it a great game and media experience. Finding a tablet within $50 of the Mini that has all the features and quality of the Le Pan Mini TC802A is a tall order.

The original Le Pan community on the web lost it's original site but has been resurrected in the form of Lepanforum. They have a great bunch of users and are building a nice online community. You can find it easily with Google.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Nook HD + Dual Boot Android & Nook OS
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 stock
    2 HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    2 UG007B Android stick
    Amazon FireTV set top box
    Elocity A7+ Evilocoty Rabid ROM Android 2.2
    Skytex Pocket Primer Rooted 2.2
    Skytex 7" Gemini Rabid ROM 4.0.4
    MK802 Mini Android Rabid ROM Beta
    Dragon Touch MID907IPS ICS 4.0.4 Rabid ROM

Thanks
    Well done good sir. You covered the bases very well.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
    There are no solutions, only tradeoffs. -Thomas Sowell

If you Like what I do, supply me with Tang.

Thanks
    Nice review, how much did it cost?

sent by Nook HD+ using tapatalk
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    JXD S7800B, Supercharged V2.2.1 rom
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by will765 View Post
    Nice review, how much did it cost?

$179
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    Thats reasonable, it had some nice features.

ASUS Vivotab Smart

Veteran
    Thanks
    What makes it a nice change for Le Pan is hardware VS price. Previous Le Pan tabs like the II VS the S were almost identical in specs with no real changes yet still were in the $200 range. The Mini has new specs and design and comes in under the normal price. I was really expecting less than more.
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    Ok now I have the Dell Venue 8 (I paid 159.00 on sale) and the Le Pan Mini (I paid 129.00 on sale) I like the mini. I really do. I love the look of it and the 4:3 ratio. Many iPad mini cases fit so there is a large selection of nice ones to choose from. I'd recommend both tablets but I only have the luxury of keeping one. So... Which one?

Over the last few years most of my tablets have had a 4:3 ratio format. Im used to it. Web pages are easier to read. it feels balanced in your hand. I like the mini for that reason. It is comfortable, easy to hold and looks good. My main complaint with it would be the speaker volume and sound quality. I am pretty deaf so I need a good loud tablet. Ear phones are great but hearing aids get in the way so native sound from the speakers is really important to me. iF it wasn't for the sound issue I would have been done shopping and lived happily every after just me and my mini. <-(ha ha ha)

Well, on Rabids recommendation I checked out the Dell Venue 8 (android version) My first impression when I turned it on was I wasn't crazy about the 16:9 screen ratio. It does have a clear bright display with a higher resolution than the mini though. I found a song on Play music and the darn tablet almost blew off my finger with the punch and volume of that one single speaker. Nice! After playing with the Dell for a few days I can say its wifi is much stronger than that of the mini and connects much faster, download and uploads are quicker and videos are actually displayed larger on the 16:9 ratio than they are on the 4:3

The Mini may see a 4.4 update. (Not determined yet. but a good possibility) The Dell has just received a 4.3 update (although mine hasn't received it yet for some reason)

So which one will I keep. I'd say most definately the Dell.

Thanks
    The mini has Bluetooth, why not get a little speaker?

Sent from my Kindle HDX 8.9"
    ASUS Vivotab Smart

Thanks
    I did get a little speaker and it helps a lot. There is just a bit of a lag when watching video. Kind of like watching an old Godzilla movie. Honestly it was mostly an excuse to buy the Dell and I'll probably end up keeping both.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk