Thread: Dragon touch 9.7 IPS Allwinner A10

Veteran
    Thanks

Dragon touch 9.7 IPS Allwinner A10

I have had one of these for a couple weeks now putting it through it's paces before putting out a review. They retail at the $150-$170 mark. Normally I do a first impressions but one issue with the reseller made me hold back a little which I will go into at the end of the review.

First the Manufacturers Specs:

Operation system: Android 4.0.4 Support HD Flash 11
    Main IC: A10 (CPU+ GPU+ VPU) Cortex A8 1.2G
    Screen: 9.7 inches IPS 5 Points Capacitive Touch 16:9. 1024 * 768
    Storage: 16GB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Storage Extend: 128MB-32GB SD/TF Support
    Wifi: 802.11b/g/n
    Camera: Dual-Camera, 2.0Mpx Back, 0.3Mpx Front
    G-Sensor: All gravity induction
    USB: Dual Min USB (this ias actually incorrect. It is dual Micro USB)
    Battery: 7800mAh
    Language: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese,Polish ,Russian, Chinese
    Online entertainment: Support Online video, online TV, online Movie, Online Music, Online Radio.
    Game: 3D Game can be supported by internal 3d accelerate of hardware. There are more than 200 thousands kind of free software in google market
    Music Playing: MP3,WMA,APE,FLAC,WAV Format
    Video Playing: Formats Support: MKV(H.264 HP),AVI,RM/RMVB, MPEG-1,MPEG-2
    Video Output: HDMI 720P to 1080P to 2160P full HD output,and Video OutPut(AV OutPut)

The tablet comes with the standard USB cable, OTG adapter, and charger. Functioning Play Store installed. Unit charges off of USB as well.

Out of the box this is a nice feeling solid tablet. The screen is bright and crisp, touch is very responsive without being over sensitive. It is a very nice looking 9.7 tablet. There are some pics of the tablet and ports below.

This has been a really solid tablet. WiFi is strong, battery life is about 5-6hours with WiFi on. Screen brightness is phenomenal at the low setting.

Benchmarks are pretty decent. Stock CaffeineMark gives it 5700-6020 and Quadrant scores a solid 2290, which for an Allwinner A10 with no tweaks is pretty good. The system actually comes stock at 1.2GHZ as opposed to the normal 1.0GHZ that most 1.2GHZ advertised run at. o far all is stable. Have not tired overclocking yet, but I know SetCPU and OverClockWidget work on it.

Movies and TV shows look awesome. Netflix works. Speaker sound is pretty good. The system seems to not like AC3 audio too much, it plays it but seems to over modulate it. But that is a complaint on a lot of 4.0.4 devices. Definitely better sound than a lot of other mid range tablets I have and have tested. Movies play great through HDMI to both my big screens.

Dual Cameras. What can you say for any front facing web cam quality camera? MEH? Looks good video is fine. Now the 2MP rear facing camera. That is a little different story. This seems to be a step up from a lot of the secondary cameras on tablets. While only 2MP it takes really nice pictures, does well in low light, and has an auto focus feature. You can see the reticles finding and adjusting parts of the image when you are taking pictures. Takes very nice 720P video in good light.

E-reading is really strong on this tablet, looks pretty good even in sunlight. 9.7 is, IMHO, the perfect size for comic and graphic novel reading.

Overall this tablet itself is a great little tablet for the price. If saving a few bucks over the latest and greatest dual core is good for you than this is the tablet for you.

But let's get to the issue I mentioned earlier. More and more tablets are being released onto the market with little to no support from the resellers or manufacturers. This used to be almost solely limited to China direct white box tablets. But lately it is becoming more common in US based sellers as well. Zeki is a good example, great tablet, zero support from the manufacturer.

In the case of the DragonTouch by Tablets Express, the first unit I got had dust under the digitizer. Customer service from Tablets Express was quick to respond and I had an exchange in a little over a week, on their dime. Pretty cool. The new unit arrived, it was shipped powered on and in sleep mod. Now technically nothing wrong with that except running electronics are more susceptible to thing like moisture, shock when running. When it woke, the tablet froze. When I powered it back on nothing happened. I connected it to my PC and was able to show that the device would boot into fel mode (the hardware recovery) and the Livesuit drivers would install successfully. I contacted Tablet express to see about getting a link to firmware to flash. They wanted me to ship the tablet back to them for testing. I replied that if they gave me a link that I could test for them and save us all time and money, they again stated I could send back the tablet and if it was defective they would replace it. After several attempts to explain to them I was not just a joe schmoe user and I knew what I was doing, even going as far as to offer a non disclosure agreement, I gave in and sent the tablet back. After some more e-mails about future tablet updates a response came that "had no idea how to flash or the firmware for the tablet." Wow. But as far as replacing the tablets they are fast and courteous.

This all boils down to, this is a really solid tablet. But if you like to play with and customize your Android firmware, there is currently no stock firmware image to fall back on if your should kill an install. There are scripts available that can pull the necessary files needed to build a Livesuit image to flash, but it is a tedious and not 100% guaranteed process. As with most Allwinner tablets there is not a typical recovery to boot into, but the firmware does say it will run updates from microsd so that could be a way to go.

I would give this a 5 out of 5 stars if it wasn't for the firmware not being available. I would still recommend it, unless you are tinker junkie then it all depends on how you look at no established image for recover.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Nook HD + Dual Boot Android & Nook OS
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 stock
    2 HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    2 UG007B Android stick
    Amazon FireTV set top box
    Elocity A7+ Evilocoty Rabid ROM Android 2.2
    Skytex Pocket Primer Rooted 2.2
    Skytex 7" Gemini Rabid ROM 4.0.4
    MK802 Mini Android Rabid ROM Beta
    Dragon Touch MID907IPS ICS 4.0.4 Rabid ROM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rabid1 For This Useful Post:

ryanvillalobos (10-21-2012)

Thanks
    Seems like a decent tablet. I never got over 2000 Quadrant with my JXD allwinner, to get that stock is pretty good. 7800 mah battery should be good for around 8 hours or so. As much as I like my 8" Onda, I do prefer the 9.7" size tablet.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by will765 View Post
    Seems like a decent tablet. I never got over 2000 Quadrant with my JXD allwinner, to get that stock is pretty good. 7800 mah battery should be good for around 8 hours or so. As much as I like my 8" Onda, I do prefer the 9.7" size tablet.
    Yeah funny how little changes can make CM scores a little lower than normal and the Quadrant higher. I just ran Quadrant 3 times, but like 1 time, reboot, then again. Quadrant and CM both seem to leave scraps in memory so if you run them consecutively your scores tend to be a little inflated. But I still got 1980, 2150, and 2200.

And for me I have a 8" Pandigital SuperNova that is probably my favorite. It's got the Samsung S5PV210 Cortex A8 with a PowerVR GPU. They aren't the fastest of the A8 out there but the tablet is just rock solid, light, and other than some of the more graphic intensive games it runs about everything. I went from 10" to 7", back to 10" then found the 8" SN and it just fits. But the 9.7" is growing on me. I have about 8 tablets I am going to be putting up on CL and Ebay in the next week or two and I can;t make myself add the SuperNova to the pile yet. I am kind of thinking that the 5" game pad, the Sn, and maybe the Dragon Touch will make the trifecta.
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    That's some collection you put together. I'm going to get rid of my JXD and Adam in the next week or 2, and will get another 9.7" to go with my 8" onda. I really like the Amlogic dual-core tablets, right now i probably am leaning towards the Onda v971, since the 8" one i have is running so well.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+, rooted
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", finally rooted
    Google Nexus 5, Elix-R rom
    Asus Memo Pad 7
    Adam LCD 3g(retired & living in Dominican Republic)

Veteran
    Thanks
    I should be getting one of the new Skytex Imagine dual core when they come available later this month. I think they are using the Amlogic 1.6 dual with the Maili quad GPU.
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    You guys are killing me with all the new tablets your getting. :/ I want more but can't. lol

Keep the reviews coming though as I do enjoy reading them.
    In fire and EMS? Check the Play Store for my current apps Code Log and Pumper calc.

First Post
    Thanks
    I was very weary about purchasing this tablet but your excellent review has helped me immensely. A few things fell into place. I realized the retailer is in Silver Spring MD very close to where I live so if anything ever does go wrong I can just pop in and get a new one! Once again thank you so much for the review it has made the decision much easier!

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanvillalobos View Post
    I was very weary about purchasing this tablet but your excellent review has helped me immensely. A few things fell into place. I realized the retailer is in Silver Spring MD very close to where I live so if anything ever does go wrong I can just pop in and get a new one! Once again thank you so much for the review it has made the decision much easier!
    Maybe you could pop over and shake a firmware image out of them.
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Veteran
    Thanks
    Just a quick update. I will be posting a new thread in a couple of days with 2 new custom firmware images for the Dragon Touch 9.7. I mixed and matched a couple of kernels. One is really quick but doesn't like any attempts at overclocking. The other let's you play around a little. I think the quicker version will have a full suite of apps and games , the other will be stripped for people interested in playing around with the image to dev or just customize.
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick