Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Visual Land Prestige 7

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDon View Post
    Only because I was quite involved with the overall computer industry as the VP - Procurement of Toshiba America (in Irvine, CA which I think is near where Virtual Land has their offices) and know that a number of hardware products are made by especially Chinese companies and then sold to various resellers to put their own "image" on in the final product(s), I am wondering if you know if these two products are actually and fundamentally the same from a hardware point of view (possibly came from the same source); and then are made into the product by the various companies with some little "tweak" to personalize it for the various markets around the world. What do you know about this? I know that I may be opening up a "can of worms" and if you are tied to Virtual Land then maybe you don't want to answer the question; so that is OK! Any input, however, would be appreciated.

DoctorDon
    I am happy to answer the question, as far as I can,
    I have no special insight into the hardware beyond what i have gleaned through interaction with the device. that being said, If this is the type of thing that is going on, Visual Land puts a lot of time and effort into making their tablet different than others. As far as I am aware, their design is fairly unique among tablets. They have rather branched out with their style. But, that is just my opinion.
    They DO use the allwinner base for their tablets, and that is in keeping with the concept you describe. But if there is a tablet company that i would be inclined to think the above mentioned of... well, there are others that fit the bill much better because they look just the same as the others out there.

So, i hope that answers the question, and no, I/we don't have any ties to Visual Land, but I sure am glad that they spend as much time as they do on our forums. So many of the other tablet companies seem to treat us like lepers.
    There are no solutions, only tradeoffs. -Thomas Sowell

If you Like what I do, supply me with Tang.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktion View Post
    I am happy to answer the question, as far as I can,
    I have no special insight into the hardware beyond what i have gleaned through interaction with the device. that being said, If this is the type of thing that is going on, Visual Land puts a lot of time and effort into making their tablet different than others. As far as I am aware, their design is fairly unique among tablets. They have rather branched out with their style. But, that is just my opinion.
    They DO use the allwinner base for their tablets, and that is in keeping with the concept you describe. But if there is a tablet company that i would be inclined to think the above mentioned of... well, there are others that fit the bill much better because they look just the same as the others out there.

So, i hope that answers the question, and no, I/we don't have any ties to Visual Land, but I sure am glad that they spend as much time as they do on our forums. So many of the other tablet companies seem to treat us like lepers.
    Thanks so much for your insights. If you are a leper, then I am with Father Damien and certainly want to work with you.

Based on your experience and your comment here that there are "others that fit the bill much better," is the Virtual Land device the best of the inexpensive 7" tablets; and why?

Thanks
    Thanks so much for your insights. If you are a leper, then I am with Father Damien and certainly want to work with you.

Based on your experience and your comment here that there are "others that fit the bill much better," is the Virtual Land device the best of the inexpensive 7" tablets; and why?
    Thank you kindly for the assurance.
    Is Visual Land's Prestige 7 the best of the budget tablets?

I have some training in economics. If you have ever met an actual economist, then you know that we stand firmly by my signature from Thomas Sowell. That being said, I find that the pros outweigh any of the cons. It is an easy call for me since my chief concern in a tablet is Openness.

The platform is easy to tinker with, Visual land has made the images easily available, and for the price, there are few tablets with as much for that little.
    I say, if you value openness, then Visual land should be at the top of the list.

BUT if you value other things more, then the conclusion could change...

Veteran
    Thanks
    Maction,
    You seem to know a lot about Visual Land tablets. I am wondering if you know if the AGPtek 7" tablet is actually the same as a VL Connect from at least a hardware point of view?

DoctorDon
    Only because I was quite involved with the overall computer industry as the VP - Procurement of Toshiba America (in Irvine, CA which I think is near where Virtual Land has their offices) and know that a number of hardware products are made by especially Chinese companies and then sold to various resellers to put their own "image" on in the final product(s), I am wondering if you know if these two products are actually and fundamentally the same from a hardware point of view (possibly came from the same source); and then are made into the product by the various companies with some little "tweak" to personalize it for the various markets around the world. What do you know about this? I know that I may be opening up a "can of worms" and if you are tied to Virtual Land then maybe you don't want to answer the question; so that is OK! Any input, however, would be appreciated.

DoctorDon
    Which AGPtek are you talking about? They have several.

If any tablet says they use the Allwinner A10 platform then they will have similar hardware with only variations in clock speed, memory, power management, andfeature footprint. All of these talets come from the same few factories. They are either the cookie cutter type, like Flytouch, Eken, Wopad ZT, Zeki called white box tablets because of the plain white box they all ship in. Others like the Visual Land are made to order with custom specs and higher quality components and standards.

With these tablets the issue of saving a couple of bucks can really come back to bite you.. Saving a couple of dollars you lalso lose any real chance of customer support, access to firmware images, and often a nightmare to get your money back should you get a DOA tablet. Many of these tablets use a local (to the buyer be it UK or US etc..) address that is actually just a shipping stop with maybe one r two "techs" who really just handle forwarding shipments back to China and answer e-mails. The wait time can be months to get a tablet back and if it is determined not under warranty you pay the shipping back from China if you want the tablet back.

In the case of AGPtek I have issue with companies that mis-state the specs on a tablet to take advantage of consumers ignorance, like calling the A10 multi-core to make it similar to dual core. They also are one of the companies that if you need the firmware to fix an issue or attempt to fix an issue with a stock install they will not supply you with the firmware, claiming the tablet is not user flashable.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE

If I do not answer your Private Message please do not assume I am ignoring you. I probably am, but assuming is rude.

Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Rooted
    Kindle Fire HD 7 Rooted
    HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    Amazon FireTV Rooted
    Haier 9" Rooted
    Sero 7 Pro Rabid ROM Beta
    LePan TC1020 Rooted
    LePan TC802A Rooted - Deodexed

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    Which AGPtek are you talking about? They have several.

If any tablet says they use the Allwinner A10 platform then they will have similar hardware with only variations in clock speed, memory, power management, andfeature footprint. All of these talets come from the same few factories. They are either the cookie cutter type, like Flytouch, Eken, Wopad ZT, Zeki called white box tablets because of the plain white box they all ship in. Others like the Visual Land are made to order with custom specs and higher quality components and standards.

With these tablets the issue of saving a couple of bucks can really come back to bite you.. Saving a couple of dollars you lalso lose any real chance of customer support, access to firmware images, and often a nightmare to get your money back should you get a DOA tablet. Many of these tablets use a local (to the buyer be it UK or US etc..) address that is actually just a shipping stop with maybe one r two "techs" who really just handle forwarding shipments back to China and answer e-mails. The wait time can be months to get a tablet back and if it is determined not under warranty you pay the shipping back from China if you want the tablet back.

In the case of AGPtek I have issue with companies that mis-state the specs on a tablet to take advantage of consumers ignorance, like calling the A10 multi-core to make it similar to dual core. They also are one of the companies that if you need the firmware to fix an issue or attempt to fix an issue with a stock install they will not supply you with the firmware, claiming the tablet is not user flashable.
    Thank you so much for your inputs. They are very helpful and make the most sense to me given that I had many years experience with similar things when I worked at Toshiba. I will be sticking with Visual Land!

Thanks
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I received terrific service and support from Visual Land!!! My Connect tablet developed a broken screen (dots and lines on the screen). VL gave me an RMA to check it out. They had the broken tablet for about two days (!!) and sent me a new replacement last Friday which I received promptly on Tuesday, September 18th. Absolutely great service!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorDon For This Useful Post:

Macktion (09-19-2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    I have seen your videos given here, Thanks for sharing the great video review of Visual Land Prestige 7. I have to say that it is one of the great smart tablet which runs on android OS. It comes with outstanding features at reasonable price.

Thanks

Question Visual Land Prestige 7L

Just wanted to let you guys know that I received terrific service and support from Visual Land!!! My Connect tablet developed a broken screen (dots and lines on the screen). VL gave me an RMA to check it out. They had the broken tablet for about two days (!!) and sent me a new replacement last Friday which I received promptly on Tuesday, September 18th. Absolutely great service!!!

Hello DoctorDon, (and Everybody else reading this post)!

I'm aware you haven't been in this forum for 2 years, but my search for an answer to my daughter's Prestige 7L, ME-107-L-8GB, 4.1 tablet abruptness to 'dots and lines' syndrome brought me to this forum.

She received her tablet ten months ago (last Xmas) and used it without any issues. Out of the blue, when she tried to wake it after a brief pause, her screen went blank. It sat in her room a couple of months before I asked to turn it on. It booted up to this neat little gray dots on a greyish background pattern. It has a one inch (approx) darker band also, in the center of the tablet, that includes three separate lines of color, that run top to bottom of screen.

I wanted to do a 'reset', but I don't think I would be able to see it, and I didn't want to get the tablet stuck in 'recovery mode'; not being able to select. I've noticed that the lines in the middle have increased to the width of the band. Very colorful, and they waver just a tad or I'm probably seeing bits of maybe the 'home' page. Kinda trippy. The dots have turned to solid gray. I'm beginning to think the touch sensor is bad. Seems like all the visuals are in that middle band.

I was wondering, DoctorDon, if Visual Land let you know exactly what the problem was with your tablet? Probably not, since they sent you a replacement; but, I can dream, though.

I was also wondering, directed at anyone that would know, if 'firmware or 'updating' would benefit her tablet at all? I think it's still under warrantee and thought we could try something before she sent it in. It still charges, powers on and sleeps like normal, it just doesn't show anything other than those 'dots and lines'.
    Last edited by treerey; 10-10-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Noticed something new.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treerey View Post
    I was also wondering, directed at anyone that would know, if 'firmware or 'updating' would benefit her tablet at all?
    Its possible, but unlikley that the issue is with firmware. It could be, but I don't know why, or how.

Quote Originally Posted by treerey View Post
    I think it's still under warrantee
    I would go with that before tinkering. Depending on the wording of your warranty, a firmware flash could void it So if it is still covered, I would plug it into your computer, get the important files, and make use of the warranty.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Remove Ads

Search tags for this page

backwards screen on a visual land prestige 7d
prestige elite 9q update
root visual land me-107-l
visual land elite 7q root
visual land prestige 10 update

visual land tablet review

visual land tablet review windows

visual land tablet vl-107l

vl-107l tablet

vl-107l tablet problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.