Thread: HP Touchpad - A simple review

Thanks

Smile HP Touchpad - A simple review

Ah, the HP Touchpad. A great device with a short life. Most people would not have considered purchasing this at $500, or even $300, but as soon as they dropped the prices to $99 and $149, they flew off the shelves everywhere in a matter of hours. I bought mine at Walmart the day the prices plunged, and have been using it ever since. Here are my thoughts:

Design:
    The Touchpad is a great device that could use a better body. The screen is great, but the body is made of a glossy plastic. It not only collects fingerprints like a magnet, but the plastic is very easy to crack. It has almost the exact dimensions of the iPad 1, with all the buttons and connections in the exact same spots. I actually use my old iPad 1 official Apple case as a case for my Touchpad. It fits snugly and I can reach all the buttons and ports very easily. On the top it has a power button, microphone, and headphone jack. The volume rocker is on the left, the usb/charging port is on the bottom, and the Beats Audio speakers are on the right. It uses Micro USB, which I could not be happier about, because it is the same charger as my phone. When I travel, I only need to pack one cord. The front contains a 1.3 Megapixel medeocre camera, the 9.7 inch, 1024x760 screen, and the home button.

WebOS:
    In my opinion, WebOS is the greatest tablet OS I have used. I like it better than Honeycomb, iOS, and Windows. The only place it is lacking is Apps; there are not many available. WebOS is great, but it can be a bit sluggish right out of the box. I have installed Preware (free) and installed a better and faster kernel, and now it works flawlessly. WebOS is a stunning OS. The apps made with the SDK are absolutely beautiful and very functional, although there are not many. The notifications on WebOS are perfect. They are not intrusive, and they are always easy to access. The newest update gave me something I really like; the ability to bluetooth-sync with my phone, so I can leave my phone on my desk all the time, and answer calls from the Touchpad. I have only run into one problem with WebOS, and it is a super annoying problem. Every once in a while after I have been using it without a restart, I will try to open an app and it will tell me that I have too many cards open, when really I only have 1 or 2, or sometimes 0, open. I then have to do a reboot.

Speakers:
    When I first got the Touchpad, I did not like it. There were not as many apps, it was sluggish, and it was always dirty. Then I discovered the Beats Audio speakers. They are worth the $150 alone. I use the Last.Fm app, and it has totally replaced the radio and overhead speakers in my house. They are very loud, and have absolutely amazing sound. The speakers are the only thing that stopped me from selling it after the first week.

Software:
    There are many apps that come pre-installed on the Touchpad, and I like most of them. The browser is very fast with super fast loading and very responsive pinch-to-zoom. It is my favorite browser I have used on a tablet. The email client is also very great. It has sliders that make use of the screen size, and make finding and sending emails very fun and easy. The calendar app is beautiful, but I don't really use calendars. The messaging apps combines many different messaging platforms (Skype, Google talk, Etc.) into one; and yes, you can video chat through it. I have never used the Memos app, as I use TouchNote from the App Catalog, but it does have a beautiful UI. Sadly, it comes with Bing maps, instead of Google Maps. The only advantage to this is I really like Bing's "Birdseye" satellite view. The Contacts, Photos, and Music apps are pretty standard and easy to use. The YouTube app is not an actual app, but a shortcut to the website, which is dissappointing (But Flash works amazing on the Touchpad!). The Kindle app comes pre-installed, but that didn't bother me because I use Kindle for books. Lastly, the App Catalog can be slow at times, but it has a great UI and is very easy to navigate and find the apps you are looking for.

Conclusion:
    Overall, the Touchpad is the best tablet I have used to date (I have owned an iPad 1, and a Xoom), and I would highly recommend trying to find one on Craigslist. It is a real shame that they were killed off so early. The software is great, the design is pretty good, and the overall experience of WebOS, the Apps, and the functionality is good!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a touchpad and I agree it actually is a decent tablet. We were actually thinking about porting Android to it, but after we all started using it.... LOL, for some reason the project went down the drain. I think we all found the OS to be quite acceptable and if you can pick one up for under $200.00 its really not a bad device for surfing the Internet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zerofeel; 11-01-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Send me a donation and I will put it towards our community. Your donations buy us software, hardware, bandwidth, devices, and help us fund bounties & contests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofeel View Post
    I have a touchpad and I agree it actually is a decent tablet. We were actually thinking about porting Android to it, but after we all started using it.... LOL, for some reason the project went down the drain. I think we all found the OS to be quite acceptable and if you can pick one up for under $200.00 its really not a bad device for surfing the Internet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Exactly!

I bought it for the sole reason of putting Android on it, but now I have spent money on apps, so I might not.

Unless ICS is awesome and ever makes it to the Touchpad!

Remove Ads