Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visual Land Connect 7 Firmware

Thanks
    I have upgraded the Connect 7 to 4.1.1 with the system update app and find myself with a locked down device. It is no longer rooted, the bootloader simply reboots the device and the recovery program is Android Recovery (3e) which will accept only signed ROMs. fastboot, livesuit, etc. don't see the device at all. I tried to load the 4.0.4 VL-879 (421MB) image with an adb sideload and it gets 70% of the way through loading then reboots the device. I think I can use adb and flash_image to reload the image. Is this image one of the flash partitions? I know nand is mounted as /system, nande as /data nandh as /cache. It looks like nandb is the boot and or recovery partition.

What I would love to have is a straight image of the bootloader or the recovery partitions that I could directly flash onto the device.
    Last edited by tcanup; 11-15-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Add content

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tcanup View Post
    I have upgraded the Connect 7 to 4.1.1 with the system update app and find myself with a locked down device. It is no longer rooted, the bootloader simply reboots the device and the recovery program is Android Recovery (3e) which will accept only signed ROMs. fastboot, livesuit, etc. don't see the device at all. I tried to load the 4.0.4 VL-879 (421MB) image with an adb sideload and it gets 70% of the way through loading then reboots the device. I think I can use adb and flash_image to reload the image. Is this image one of the flash partitions? I know nand is mounted as /system, nande as /data nandh as /cache. It looks like nandb is the boot and or recovery partition.

What I would love to have is a straight image of the bootloader or the recovery partitions that I could directly flash onto the device.
    When you do a system upgrade you usually loose root. The system has always had 3e so nothing has changed there. There is no Stock 4.1.1 image so whatever you used you are lucky it even booted.

Stock images cannot be loaded through ADB. You have to use Livesuit, Phoenix Card, or the new Phoenixsuit.
    If you like my work please feel free to DONATE
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    Dell Venue 8 Rooted and Deodexed
    Nook HD + Dual Boot Android & Nook OS
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 stock
    2 HP Touchpad 32GB Dual Boot WebOS & Cyanogen MOD 11
    2 UG007B Android stick
    Amazon FireTV set top box
    Elocity A7+ Evilocoty Rabid ROM Android 2.2
    Skytex Pocket Primer Rooted 2.2
    Skytex 7" Gemini Rabid ROM 4.0.4
    MK802 Mini Android Rabid ROM Beta
    Dragon Touch MID907IPS ICS 4.0.4 Rabid ROM

Thanks
    The 4.1.1 image I am running came from the app store and seems to work great on the Connect 7. The boot screen shows VIsual Land and a jelly bean jar. I didn't use any extraordinary means to install it -- installed as an upgrade completely on the tablet.

After carefully reading this entire thread, I think I might be able to get livesuit working -- I wasn't precisely following the directions on connecting to the pc. I will try it again later when I am home. I was expecting to see something on the tablet when I went into this mode. I was finally able to get the USB connect ding on the pc and load the driver (I think it is the same one I have been using with adb -- at least it is in the same usb-drivers package.

I am new to Android, but not to embedded linux. I have built tool chains, compiled kernels, written device drivers, built flash images, etc. for the NetSilicon NetArm 7processor using jtag tool chains.

About tablet says
    VL-879
    Inet1.0_20121016
    3.0.8+
    Inet_pmclive@supportFAE #25
    Sat Jul 13 11 :10:12 CST 2013
    97FV0520130724W01G02T01

The Prestige 7L about says:
    Prestige 7L
    v0.3
    3.0.8+
    107LV03201308012W02G02T02
    Last edited by tcanup; 11-16-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added build info

Veteran
    Thanks
    What app store? Play?
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    I was using 1 mobile market at the time -- way too many hacks ago to remember the details -- one of the early things I did to the tablet before I knew better.

As far as the livesuit downgrade -- it seems to recognize the device but gives a pop-up "Invalid image". I assume it is the VL879.img file it is complaining about. Do you have an md5 signature for the image? I'll try the 4.0.3 img file next.

I also tried the connection technique to see if I could get fastboot to recognize the device -- no luck. I hate opaque tools that give no clue as to what is causing the problem -- and much of this process is just that -- opaque.

I had planned to use this device for a development project for a dedicated application, but so far I have been unable to do any of the things I need to do to it. For instance I want to replace the boot screen and update the init.rc files but am getting pretty frustriated.

Ok, I tried 4.0.3 image file, livesuit now tells me "No device needs updating". <sigh>

I was able to install ClockWorkMod's Superuser.zip by unzipping, pushing the components to the device, and using adb shell to chmod the files appropriately based on the update-binary file. The file would have failed on this device because it uses the 'cp' command missing from the device. I then installed BusyBox 1.19. I'm felling much better about this even if I can't get fastboot to work.
    Last edited by tcanup; 11-16-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tcanup View Post
    I was using 1 mobile market at the time -- way too many hacks ago to remember the details -- one of the early things I did to the tablet before I knew better.

As far as the livesuit downgrade -- it seems to recognize the device but gives a pop-up "Invalid image". I assume it is the VL879.img file it is complaining about. Do you have an md5 signature for the image? I'll try the 4.0.3 img file next.

I also tried the connection technique to see if I could get fastboot to recognize the device -- no luck. I hate opaque tools that give no clue as to what is causing the problem -- and much of this process is just that -- opaque.

I had planned to use this device for a development project for a dedicated application, but so far I have been unable to do any of the things I need to do to it. For instance I want to replace the boot screen and update the init.rc files but am getting pretty frustriated.
    Any image you get through an app store is likely malware and might be why you are having problems. Basically it is impossible to upgrade the OS through an app but I can make a tablet say it has Android 6.9 with a text editor. The only reason I can think of the Connect giving you so many problems is if it is a Gingerbread 7 and not an ICS 7. Are you certain it had ICS on it? Have you tried the GB image?
    Skytex 10s Rabid ROM v1
    Skytex 7s Rabid ROM v1
    2 UG007B Android stick

Thanks
    I cannot honestly say what is on it. I believe it updated through system update, but I can't swear to it. I have not successfully put any other image on the device using any of the tools or techniques on this forum. It arrived with 4.0.3 installed.

For what it's worth /proc/version reports "linux version 3.0.8+ (inet_pmelive@supportFAE) gcc version 4.5.1 (Sourcery g++ lite 2010.09-50) #25 PREEMPT Sat Jul 13 11:10:12 CST 2013"

All I can say is it looks an awful lot like the Premier 7L that came with 4.1.1 installed -- same apps, same lock screen.

The Prestige 7L /proc/version says: "linux version 3.0.8+ (dangrichun@multi-server) (gcc version 4.5.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010.09-50) ) #133 PREEMPT Wed Aug 7 18:50:44 CST 2013"
    Last edited by tcanup; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Ok, using livesuit I was able to downgrade the device back to 4.0.3.

Thanks
    Are there anyways to put Jelly Bean on a Connect 7? I know that on Visual Lands site, they now sell the Connect 7's with Jelly bean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12