Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu in a chroot

Thanks
    Right I posted some scripts with the fix...

Resident
    Thanks
    Fix for the ctrl key issue? Link please?

Thanks
    Hi rsidd,

Can you post a bit more about you chroot setup? My current chroot setup uses system locations, which doesn't work seem to work in Eden 1.5.

I tried editing fsrw, mountonly unionfs and bootubuntu where appropriate - referring to the sdcard instead of the system. . .

A quick how to would be great.

Resident
    Thanks
    paronnax - at the moment the chroot is just an ubuntu karmic image (or natty image), extracted into my sdcard2 (which is ext4-formatted). I tried Eden 1.5 but reverted to Beast because Eden didn't recognise the sdcard2 (maybe it doesn't know ext4). It also works with an img file, mounted via loopback. I am not using fsrw, etc (I'm not touching /sdcard at all) -- I will upload the script I'm using tomorrow.

UPDATE - Here's my script (a modified version of bootubuntu.sh). If you have a complete chroot environment somewhere on your system, you only need to modify the ROOT variable (first non-comment line) to point to its location. If you have an image file, mount it first:
    Code:
    mount -o loop,noatime -t ext2 /path/to/ubuntu.img /mountpoint
    If the mounting doesn't work, it may be because some apps are saved on your sdcard -- for some reason that apparently interferes with the loopback mounts on android. From settings->applications, move all apps to phone. But I find it preferable to have a directory directly on the sdcard, rather than an image -- but the sdcard should use a linux-friendly filesystem like ext4, not fat32!

My chroot environment is rather bulky: I will upload it after trimming it down. But the above should work with the ubuntu.img linked from Nexus One Hacks, extracted into a directory. (Also add the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry to /etc/hosts -- it was in the original bootubuntu script but I removed it since doing it once is enough.)
    Last edited by rsidd; 06-02-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Link to script

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rsidd For This Useful Post:

paronnax (06-02-2011)

Thanks
    I'm working on generic (and distro, any device) and well-running chroot environment called ChDistro. It can run image linked in the first image of this topic, but I also provide clean-room (completely reproducible) Ubuntu Jaunty image. There's also a topic on Tabletroms for ChDistro at http://tabletroms.com/forums/general...ce-chroot.html (General secton, as again, this stuff is not really device-specific).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to androq For This Useful Post:

Stef (09-18-2011)

Resident
    Thanks
    I tried the LinuxInstall chroot package installer by Galoula today. The package is a front end for downloading and installing some Debian and Ubuntu flavours in a chroot environment. I thought I will install Debian Unstable. After taking a long time downloading and verifying, the package seemed to quit and I did not repeat the steps due to data download limitations. I read the log and it seemed that the LinuxInstaller.sh script had gone missing - the download probably got interrupted at some point.

Later, going through the very limited How-To on the Galoula website, I realised to my chagrin that a Linux GUI won't run anyway. Re-reading this thread, I remembered that it might have been possible to get the GUI through VNC, but the how-to only talked about a remote server (and I don't know much about VNC myself).

So anyway, I have removed the package, its loop file and the chroot directory. However, if there is a reliable way of accomplishing a Linux installation, I am quite interested in trying it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads