Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Porting of Ubuntu Linux on Adam

First Post
    Thanks

Unhappy Porting of Ubuntu Linux on Adam

I would like to port Ubuntu on the Adam. Can anyone help?

Resident
    Thanks
    Please see this thread on Notion Ink Hacks - Rayman's Ubuntu ROM.

Thanks
    From the Nvidia Developer's page:
    Mar 25 2011 at 6:12 PM

We have removed the L4T (Linux for Tegra) downloads from the site due to some bugs and while we prepare for a forthcoming release. Please continue to report if you are having issues (or successes).

Andrew Edelsten
    Tegra Developer Relations
    NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks
    It looks like some of the pressure to get nvidia to update the X drivers might well have paid off, either that or they are just gonna let us suffer indefinitely...

Take your choice - positive or negative.

Thanks
    There's not much action on this front... have been trying to push things along, and am getting very discouraged. We have a thread going over at XDA, both about getting Ubuntu working with Chroot in Adam, as well as native installs. I'm in favor of the native install method, myself. Rayman posted a simple dev guide for booting from an sdcard, and while I've managed that, haven't been able to get wireless going in the build I have. It connects, but I can't actually access the internet outside of my router and home wireless network... it's likely a dns issue, but I can't sort it out. Am using wicd-curses... would appreciate some help out there. For the thread at xda, it's here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...931214&page=16

If I get this running, I'll build a rootfs so other people can try as well. For now, I'm stuck. I hope someone else is having better luck. Where are all the people who were posting at notioninkhacks?

Thanks
    I would be very interested in this as well, and may well give Rayman's boot.img a go . While checking out some things for the upgrade to Kubuntu Natty on my laptop, I just noticed that there is a "Kubuntu Mobile Technology Preview ARM download" (unfortunately not currently available) on offer. Will this help things along a bit (when it's available again)?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Notion Ink Adam PQi/3G (ICS - CM9-BETA5)

Regular
    Thanks
    @tillum I had a similar problem! But my sd card decided to die on me last week! Will order one today!

Thanks
    Any way to hack the current kernal to allow booting from the USB? If so it may be possible to try running the Live CD version and have it configure and install from a bootable usb DRIVE. Either that or we'll just have to wait for the "official release" from Nvidia.

Thanks
    @fiddler It won't make much difference. Ubuntu currently supports arm by default, and for tablets the best interface to use is imo Unity-2D. The problem is that tegra is it's ***#$%!!!jajaj! to install Ubuntu on. Omap boards are well supported. But Tegra.... yes, apparently Nvidia is preparing for another release, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    @anc_k
    Just figured out my connection issue... with wep I had to set the static ip, which stuffed up dns. Set my router to WPA (for other reasons, I had given up), and now I'm connected! Am setting it up tonight to see if I can install the ubuntu-netbook meta-package. This will give me (hopefully) a working login with unity 2D. Currently graphics acceleration breaks sdcard access (not terribly useful)
    @cx650t
    I thought the same initially, until I did some research. Arm is a different beastie to Intel (bless their lovely easily installable hearts), and doesn't work like that. Basically, arm requires you having an image already installed, which it then runs. If you look up 'rootstock; you'll find some more answers.

I'm heading over to XDA folks, with the link above, to keep working on this. Would be awesome to get some help. Cheers.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tillum View Post
    @fiddler It won't make much difference. Ubuntu currently supports arm by default, and for tablets the best interface to use is imo Unity-2D. The problem is that tegra is it's ***#$%!!!jajaj! to install Ubuntu on. Omap boards are well supported. But Tegra.... yes, apparently Nvidia is preparing for another release, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    @anc_k
    Just figured out my connection issue... with wep I had to set the static ip, which stuffed up dns. Set my router to WPA (for other reasons, I had given up), and now I'm connected! Am setting it up tonight to see if I can install the ubuntu-netbook meta-package. This will give me (hopefully) a working login with unity 2D. Currently graphics acceleration breaks sdcard access (not terribly useful)
    @cx650t
    I thought the same initially, until I did some research. Arm is a different beastie to Intel (bless their lovely easily installable hearts), and doesn't work like that. Basically, arm requires you having an image already installed, which it then runs. If you look up 'rootstock; you'll find some more answers.

I'm heading over to XDA folks, with the link above, to keep working on this. Would be awesome to get some help. Cheers.
    I already had mine on WAP-PSK so I guess I was doing something wrong! :S

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads