Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: touch screen no longer working after drop; Help

Regular
    Thanks

Unhappy touch screen no longer working after drop; Help

My son dropped my Adam on the floor. Glass not broken, adam seeems OK.
    However I am unable to use touch functionality of the screen or the touch buttons. Hardware buttons are working. But can't swipe anything.

I restarted Adam several times with reset button, but perhaps there is a hardware problem.

Anybody advice how to test and if there solutions to repair it?
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

TR ELITE TEAM
    Thanks
    Maybe try do remove back cover and see if a cable is not disconnected or something.
    I drink Beer
    Like my work - buy me one.

Regular
    Thanks
    Thank you Borkata. That will be next step probably. Do you mean the cover of the audio or backside of Adam.

I am first double checking not a software problem, do not know what my son did.
    So with reset button and volume + I managed to get into recovery. Then cache wipe and factory reset.
    Keep you informed
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Regular
    Thanks
    Nope did not work. So I am afraid a connector for touchscreen broke down. I can can not slide my Adam open.
    Can I plug in a key board and use the cursors?
    Also good moment to check whether NI support is still alive. Lets ask for support ticket.

Regular
    Thanks
    OK with mouse and keyboard Adam is functional again. Adam shows true value of multiple USB ports now. So touchscreen functionality is broken, must be hardware problem.

The choice is go for repair, wait for Adam II or buy new tablet.
    Your advice is welcome

Thanks
    Alexadam, please clarify when your in recovery d0 the capacitive buttons work ? I know you can use the power button or the capacitive buttons for "enter selection" and the volume rocker for selecting/navigating up/down. Let me know if the buttons worked in recovery.

The capacitive buttons and touchscreen do not share the same connector and it would seem to me that it is coincidental that both no longer work after being dropped. The capacitive buttons are connected internally by a five wire connector attached to a circuit board on the inside of the adam on the left side. This connector is extremely close to the USB port that the wire connector actually has to be bend slightly up in order to install. A piece of blue "tape" was applied at the factory for what I believe to keep the wire connector secure once attached. I have taken my adam apart several times and found that this connector does come out with little effort. The touch screen connector is attached next to the 3G card and does require wiggling it to remove, it seems to be factory applied quite securely. You can see a pic of the blue tape applied over the connector of the capacitive button connector here -> http://nifaq.pbworks.com/f/100_2827.JPG (by the way that links main page has a ton of info about adam and even shows you step by step with notes on how to open adam).

Also a place to see a further breakdown of adam internals is here: http://tjworld.net/wiki/Android/Tegr...Specifications great reading and photos including some spec sheets.

I see you sig indicates the screen has been replaced? Maybe if the connectors did fall out they may not have been fully secured when it was repaired (fresh sticky tape not applied to keep capacitive button connector from moving). My guess and only guess is that if adam hit the floor on the left, left top side, it may be enough to jar a connector loose IF it wasn't secured correctly and that would be a BIG guess.

If your up to troubleshoot i would always suggest reflashing (not rebooting) a known working ROM after a full wipe including factory wipe. I only say that since another adam user posted an issue with bluetooth only working after he nvflashed back to ics but otherwise not reported as an issue for everyone else. I always try to exhaust all software fixes first.

If you do decide to crack open adam use the link -> Notion Ink to help you open adam (any warranty is indicated as void once opened and it seems to be a year since your screen was replaced so you need to consider that). If your good at taking things apart very carefully then this is fairly easily done but a few people have cracked the screens trying to do so. If you felt the service and screen replacement during the last repair was good value then you could try again for a repair but that call needs to be made by you.

My two cents...FIRST: try reflashing. SECOND: if still not fixed then i'd take adam apart. If i found the connectors loose i'd be concerned the repair shop who touched it last may have not fully secured the connectors and/or applied fresh tape to secure the one connector. THIRD: re-purpose adam to another use (stand alone computer) using the keyboard and mouse plugged in, not the same amount of fun but still useful.

Hope it gives you some ideas on your choices.
    Last edited by Loftus; 03-21-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added link to TJ world
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Regular
    Thanks
    Thank you Loftus
    I guess I have to open up my Adam.
    Capacitive buttons were not working in working in recovery mode.

Actually the previous time my Adam glass broke I got a brandnew one. What I have read in other posts this happened a lot instead of repairing.
    Strangely enough no response from NotionINk Support on my e-mail. Where in the previous occasion response was pretty fast. So I am suspecting that NI is dying as well...

So I give it a try to open it and look for loose connectors. You site is very instructive so I should be able to open it.

Thanks
    good luck troubleshooting and let us know how it turns out. While that site i linked to is informative it wasn't put together by me but by another user in the forum. Seems like NI should've kept with the original idea of a trackpad on the backside to help with these situations. IntuitiveNipple also has a site with a ton of info on adam including data sheets etc. it may be useful to research his site also but i can't recall a link to it at this moment. A search might show up his site.

Also just going through a post Screen offset it seems there may be an option to calibrate your touchsrceen through recovery. not sure if that option is available to you as i've never tried it.

Adam Teardown This link provided from another user shows a video of an adam being taken apart. Gives you a good idea of how to go bout it. Good luck.
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Regular
    Thanks

Unhappy Recallibrate touch screen how?

Quote Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
    good luck troubleshooting and let us know how it turns out. While that site i linked to is informative it wasn't put together by me but by another user in the forum. Seems like NI should've kept with the original idea of a trackpad on the backside to help with these situations. IntuitiveNipple also has a site with a ton of info on adam including data sheets etc. it may be useful to research his site also but i can't recall a link to it at this moment. A search might show up his site.

Also just going through a post Screen offset it seems there may be an option to calibrate your touchsrceen through recovery. not sure if that option is available to you as i've never tried it.

Adam Teardown This link provided from another user shows a video of an adam being taken apart. Gives you a good idea of how to go bout it. Good luck.
    Thank you. Recallibrate touch screen might be a solution. The capacitive buttons are working in recovery. I went back to Beast but there also touch screen not working. I recall I once used it under Eden, but I can no longer find the option in recovery. I am now at cwm recovery 6013. So any suggestions? Before getting the screw driver

Any suggestions for a cheap usb trackpad I can glue to the back

By the way still no response from Notionink support so I guess they are dead too.

Thanks
    I'm using cwm v4?? by DJ steve and it does not have an option to perform calibration of touchscreen. Might try nvflash first before opening up. I took apart another adam yesterday which had broken screen and capacitive buttons physically damaged. Upon opening i noticed there was no blue tape securing the capacitive button connection plug but it did seem secure anyhow.

On the note of trackpad to add to adam. I recently bought a Gear Head touch Nano wireless mouse (free with rebate, still need to mail in and sale now over). The thing about this mouse is that it is a flat surface for gestures up/down/side to side and push down entire surface to click. I took it apart this morning and tried to physically see if it would fit into adam but it would not. I would need to cut rectangle bow into adams back cover and have the gesture pad protrude a few millimeters just to be ble to close adam. That is without the hassle of being wireless as well. Once i got thinking about the trackpad more i thought of likely driver issues we would face. A touch pad would only provide basic gestures from a mouse driver where as most touchpads on windows devices have options for side scroll up/down, back and forward button gestures. These options are not functioning on the android tablet, only basic mouse support. The best way to see if it's worthwhile to attach trackpad is to see first if the desired navigation ability is working once plugged into a android device. If proves successful then decide if its worth the hassle for installing it as a hardware mod. I had high hopes for the gear head touch nano but then the only functionality i got from it was side to side and up/down navigation, I couldn't move the mouse pointer since that was driven by the optical part of the mouse that would be hacked into the inside of adam.

If you feel confident about opening adam then go for it but take note of any warranty you may be voiding. For me that was never an option as I prefer to try to fix things my self (which is why i like adam).

good luck and let us know how you make out. ......it seems odd that the capacitive buttons work in recovery but not once fully booted up, thats why i would explore more software options first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast