Thread: Who wants a professional external connector for Antennas Microphone Serial and JTAG?

Regular
    Thanks

Lightbulb Who wants a professional external connector for Antennas Microphone Serial and JTAG?

As some of you may be aware from my other articles I'm designing an add-on board for the Adam that will provide a compact external connector at the rear-right where the short curved casing is to the right of the camera. It will be professionally assembled and I'm hoping to include a replacement curved casing as part of the kit so the Adam looks great with it fitted and is still sealed against ingress of dust, moisture and other foreign particles.

If the prototype proves the design I am considering making up a batch of these extender boards and I would like to get a feel for how many people would be interested in one so I can figure out quantities, component costs, manufacturing, and so on.

The external connector would expose:

• RS232 Serial Port (useful for boot-loader and early kernel console output)
    • JTAG
    • Auxiliary 3G antenna connection
    • FM Radio RX antenna connection
    • 2x WiFi/Bluetooth Diversity antenna connections
    • Microphone connection

The kit will have the form of an assembled PCB with U.FL connectors and coaxial cables, a flexible flat cable and rear external connector (type yet to be determined). To connect all the facilities to the Adam some soldering would be required to fix a 10-way connector to the J2 Debug solder-pads and an additional U.FL RF miniature antenna plug for the FM radio RX. A flexible flat cable will connect from the Adam's new J2 Debug connector to the extension module PCB.

There would be an external connector plug pre-wired to another external PCB (which could fit in a small project box) which would provide:

• DB-9 RS232 connector
    • 2 x female RP-SMA for the diversity WiFi/Bluetooth
    • standard FM radio 75 Ohm connector
    • suitable connector for the 3G Auxiliary
    • 3.5mm stereo socket for microphone
    • JTAG header suitable for connection to a RiffBox and similar

Due to space limitations internally I had to discount the idea of mounting the additional antenna connections directly into the Adam's case. However, I could ensure there are two internal U.FL connectors that enterprising users could connect additional internal antennas to for WiFi and/or 3G.

If you're interested in this or have ideas for other functionality that should be designed in now, please let me know here and we can brain-storm what's possible and how to do it.

Thanks

Hi, IntuitiveNipple, sounds great!

Are there any possibility to add internal usb plug inside adam to connect for example usb flash drive or card reader?
    As I seen there is a lot of unused space inside Adam, isn't it?

Resident
    Thanks
    I'm interested (though it would mean opening up my Adam, which I haven't done so far). [BTW, once people do open up their Adams, I think it would be very useful to have instructions regarding replacing the batteries, which are now two years old, and won't keep going forever).]

For my own use, I'm reasonably happy with existing wifi reception. What does not work properly for me is GPS - I need to take my Adam to the middle of a field (no trees) and turn it upside down, to get reliable GPS performance. I suspect it is the GPS antenna that is picking up too much interference from within the Adam's case, and too little signal from the sky. [A while ago someone posted that his GPS improved significantly while he had the display screen taken off the Adam.]

[And does the compass pick up too much interference from within the Adam's case?]

Thanks
    By the way, what if we try replace camera, instead trying to make existing to work? It could be done by adding one more usb and reconnecting camera to it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Net_storm View Post
    By the way, what if we try replace camera, instead trying to make existing to work? It could be done by adding one more usb and reconnecting camera to it.
    I bought a usb inspection camera for that very reason. The camera circuit board in the rotating housing is VERY narrow and of the couple of webcams I have taken apart, I can't find one small enough to fit in. I found the usb inspection camera MORE useful as it was so I nixed the idea of taking it apart since I got it for a decent price. The other thing to consider is that cheap webcams typically do not have autofocus and are of low quality (Mega Pixels).
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    That sounds pretty nifty! I had a need for a external microphone jack the other day and felt foolish as I plugged the cable into the headphone jack and wondered why it didn't work... Learning how to open the case to replace the battery will be good, too. My use times keep feeling shorter and shorter...

Remove Ads