Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked Screen

Thanks

Cracked Screen

Due to an accident involving the floor, and gravity, the glass front on my Adam's screen is now quite severely cracked. The rest of the tablet seems perfectly functional, and the underlying PQ screen is not damaged at all, it's just the glass front panel.

Would any of you gentlemen know a good way about how I could go about getting the glass replaced? The obvious option is to attempt to contact Notion Ink's support team, and see if I could purchase a replacement screen off them, and see if I could install it myself. Another option would be to give the measurements of the screen to a glass supplier, and see if I could get a replacement from another source.

Given the issues that many people have reported when trying to communicate with Notion Ink, this second idea may be a better option, and it would give me the opportunity to replace the screen with a more hard-wearing alternative (e.g. gorilla glass). A downside is that it may be prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to how to go about sourcing, or fitting a new glass screen?

Thanks
    I have been down this road with a Viewsonic G Tab, and I would say that the best option is to have Notion Ink do it. I had Zero success trying to get glass from other sources, and the best way seemed to be to make a transplant with a tablet that was broken in another way. But perhaps others have more useful information to offer?
    There are no solutions, only tradeoffs. -Thomas Sowell

If you Like what I do, supply me with Tang.

Thanks
    I had the same problem and just sent it back to NI. I'm not sure where you are, but they have a service center in Washington state somewhere I believe. It took a while to get everything worked out, but after I sent it in, I got it back, good as new, not too much later. I think it ended up costing about $100ish.

Thanks
    I've had very good success with Notion Ink service in the US. Last service in Oct 2011 took less than 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Mine is in for this reason right now. Sent to the service center in washington state. Including my cost to ship it out Priority with insurance, it's going to come to about $140. (125 repair, $15 shipping) I've heard turnaround is about 2-3 weeks. I'm expecting a little longer because of the holidays.

There seem to be a few guys giving up on their Adams because of charging/battery problems, so that is the only real option I can see for getting replacement glass without going through Notion Ink. There was one for sale on here a few weeks ago for $100 with charging problems. Unless you need the extra parts, it'll end up costing you almost as much when it's all said and done, plus you'll do your own labor.

I looked at all the options too and just decided to send it in.

Regular
    Thanks
    Mine also broke glass now for repair in Germany, but somehow the wrong address was on the package so it was not delivered. Now have to get in contact with TNT to provide them with the correct address. Hopefully it will be retrieved soon and I get my Adam back. Missing it already al lot.
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys.

It looks like my best option will be to send it in to notion ink. Unless they have a service center in the UK, my nearest one is probably the one in Germany.

However, it may have to wait a bit due to cost issues.

Regular
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

It looks like my best option will be to send it in to notion ink. Unless they have a service center in the UK, my nearest one is probably the one in Germany.

However, it may have to wait a bit due to cost issues.
    I sent mine also to Germany from the Netherlands. It is now lost with TNT. TNT could not deliver it due to wrong address. The reason is that the 'T' of TEEC of the company probably fell of the address therefore it was probably not delivered. This apparently happens more often due to lazy postman according to TEEC . So now I am in process of reclaiming my Adam from TNT Express and see if it can be send again. So I am missing my Adam a lot since I sent it 24 December. May be it is ready when beta of Icescream become available

You first need to contact Notionink support and they will send you a RMA reference number which you need to add to your Adam in its package. The you can send it to TEEC. So beware you check the address carefully before you send it.
    Last edited by Alexadam; 01-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    Adam since 31 March 2011. Switched from Beast 2.2.1 to HC 16New June 20th to HC16New-KV2 July 1st, to Adamcomb v0.1 8 July, Cromnia beta 3 (Beast) 10 July, needed camera, 3 August AC03. January 2012 Adam for repair to Germany due to broken glass, still working after fall 2 feb 2012 Blackberry Playbook, fantastic love it. Adam returned glass repaired installed Icescream 4 Beta works excellent, changed to Jelly Bean beta WOW!

Thanks

Thumbs up

NI never ceases to amaze me:

I have 2 Adams, both with a cracked screen. So I wrote to Support to get my RMA numbers to send them in for replacement.

With one Adam it was no problem at all - but they didn't find the Serial of the second tablet in their database, so they refuse to give me an RMA #.

Eve may be the first bionic woman running android and sporting a 'no inhibitions mode' and replaceable covers - I wouldn't buy.
    After this episode I am finally and definitely an ex-NI-client.

Regular
    Thanks
    I also ended up with a cracked screen and when I enquired they said it will cost Rs5000 + (More than 20% of the cost of the device !!!.I was a great rooter for the Adam but it seems it has a shoddy build.The glass cracked from a minor drop in a btargus cover within a laptop bag from a distance of hardly 2 feet!!)(I am sorely disappointed at the high expense of repairs).I will not buy any NI products again at this rate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads