Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cracked Screen

Regular
    Thanks
    I managed to break glass in my Adam today. I'm not sure i will send it for repairs. I was hoping to use it for this year, but speanding 130-140$ for old tablet .... I think i will leave it as my media player for now.
    Touch screen works, and i have bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I can say one thing - i really like Adam. Maybe my expectations were greater, but ive seen other new and "better" tablets without stereo speakers, hdmi or 3g. There are 2 full usbs, there is no other tablet like this. And Pqi maybe wasnt 100% like e-ink, but still ive used it plenty of time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fralken View Post
    I'd like to check whether it's possible to fix it. I tried and contact NI support, but they did not answer to my email this time. I suppose NI is definitely dead right now. I don't know how to contact the support in Germany, and I see from other users it is a bit risky to send them without a previous contact, since it's not guaranteed the item will be delivered...
    Finally, the price reported by other users is a bit high for a tablet becoming obsolete, so probably it's not worth it. That's a pity.
    There is no way to fix it as a DIY. You brought up the most important point that the cost to fix is not really cost effective since there are many other tablets out there now. There was a user named "G Tech Labs" that did repairs on adam (not sure if he was a authorized repair center or just DIY). I have previously reached out to him for a decent used front panel but no response. In earlier threads he had indicated he had several "Used" functioning panels that could not be sold as new but good for used.

If its still functioning then I'd say leave it as it is and get what use you can from it. If you have the pixel Qi model then you could salvage the screen for a netbook upgrade. You could also remove the broken glass entirely (Very time consuming and tricky and will break the glass even more) and put in lexon plastic. The touch function will be gone but visibly you can try to make it appear fine. You can also use "idisplay" software to use the adam as a second portable monitor where touch function wouldn't be needed (but you still need to use USB mouse to activate the app on the adam during setup each time).

Sorry to hear about another broken adam screen.
    *Running JB-ROM CM10.1 for ADAM [WIP] - Alpha1, w/webcam drivers built in.*
    Research in progress: hardware USB webcam install to replace stock 3.2mp camera w/CM10.1 Borkata alpha build

Thanks
    I must say NI support answered my email a few days ago and sent me instructions to get it repaired. They are still alive then (indeed they also presented Adam II).
    I can confirm the price of 130$, to which you must add delivery costs to send them the Adam. Considering that mine has also a small crack in the back (near the camera as usual) and that gps and compass never worked well, I think it's not worth the money.
    I'm going to keep it as it is.

Regular
    Thanks
    I anyone of you need touchscreen there is one left on ebay.
    I'm not sure it's ok, the part seems to be irreplaceable (the instustruction i've got from this guy is about replacing the screen as a whole part, not touchscreen).

Btw. does anyone have instruction how to replace touchscreen?
    Last edited by Raul; 09-01-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Regular
    Thanks
    I've got touchscreen but it came broken. I think it's the end of my Adam, is here anyone who would like to sell theirs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    I've got touchscreen but it came broken. I think it's the end of my Adam, is here anyone who would like to sell theirs?
    I wasn't looking to sell up until today, but could sell for the right price. Sending you a PM...
    ADAM (PO1 WiFi LCD) running AOKP for ADAM - Beta 1.1
    ADAM (PO2 3G PQi) running AOSP Android 4.2.1 - Beta1

Resident
    Thanks
    You could still use it with a mouse...just sayin'
    Very happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note AND Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8")

Regular
    Thanks
    its annoying to use tablet with mouse when traveling. And that was my reason to buy Adam.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads